It is currently September 8th, 2024, 12:21 am

Gadgets Top CPU skin how did SilverAzide implement Blacklist without using Blacklist

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Sh8dyDan

Gadgets Top CPU skin how did SilverAzide implement Blacklist without using Blacklist

Post by Sh8dyDan »

Question about SilverAzide Gadgets skin. I'm working on a personal skin project and am hacking my way through it using his skin as a template and coding example.

I'm currently working on the CPU Process Meter and I'm using

Code: Select all

Blacklist=_Total|Idle|dwm
to prevent these items from showing up.

I noticed on the Gadgets Top CPU Meter skin these items don't show up as well but Blacllist is not used in the ini file.
He does use Blacklist in the Gadgets Top GPU Meter.

I'd like to figure out how this is achieved.

Any ideas?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets Top CPU skin how did SilverAzide implement Blacklist without using Blacklist

Post by SilverAzide »

Sh8dyDan wrote: July 23rd, 2024, 2:38 pm Question about SilverAzide Gadgets skin. I'm working on a personal skin project and am hacking my way through it using his skin as a template and coding example.

I'm currently working on the CPU Process Meter and I'm using

Blacklist=_Total|Idle|dwm
to prevent these items from showing up.

I noticed on the Gadgets Top CPU Meter skin these items don't show up as well but Blacllist is not used in the ini file.
He does use Blacklist in the Gadgets Top GPU Meter.

I'd like to figure out how this is achieved.

Any ideas?
If I recall correctly, it is because I think DWM is excluded by default for the CPU alias. We (the Rainmeter devs and testers) discovered that DWM needs to be blacklisted internally, because Windows does something weird with it and causes the CPU usage to be greater than 100%. You'd probably need to scrounge through the posts when this feature was added.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Sh8dyDan

Re: Gadgets Top CPU skin how did SilverAzide implement Blacklist without using Blacklist

Post by Sh8dyDan »

That is interesting and seems to be the center of my questions. My Top CPU skin was created independently of yours but shows _Total, Idle, dwm if I don't explicitly use Blacklist.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Sh8dyDan wrote: July 23rd, 2024, 3:18 pm That is interesting and seems to be the center of my questions. My Top CPU skin was created independently of yours but shows _Total, Idle, dwm if I don't explicitly use Blacklist.
Sorry, my memory is bad I guess. DWM *is* showing up in the Top CPU Meter. Perhaps you are just "lucky"...
Screenshot 2024-07-23 181232.png
The problem I was trying to recollect is documented in the Top GPU Meter and was discovered by myself and the plugin author.

; blacklist the "dwm" process (Desktop Window Manager); Windows ignores this process in calculations
; (in perfmon and Task Manager)
Blacklist="_Total|Idle|dwm"
If you want to blacklist "dwm", then you must also blacklist "_Total|Idle" since this is the default when nothing is set (per the docs).

So, in short, you must blacklist this process in the Top GPU Meter only, otherwise your total usage will wildly exceed 100%. You don't want to blacklist this in the Top CPU Meter, unless you find it super-annoying and don't care that your total usage won't reach 100%.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...