It is currently September 7th, 2024, 11:18 pm

"Clocknews" never updates news

General topics related to Rainmeter.
brad1138

"Clocknews" never updates news

Post by brad1138 »

I found and installed Rainmeter a few months back. I can't remember if "Clocknews" was a default or 3rd party/add-on skin. But the news part of Clocknews has the same 4 articles it it had the day it was installed.

I assume the news is supposed to update at some point...

Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: "Clocknews" never updates news

Post by Yincognito »

I'm not going to tackle rewriting the skin you're using, but if by any chance the feeds are from CNN, this happened to me as well in my feeds skin a couple of months back, was getting the same items for weeks (the issue didn't happen for FoxNews and the other sports and local news feed sites I had on my skin, by the way). It turned out that my feeds skin was fine, I just had to adjust the CNN feeds URL to a more up to date one, and then the issue was gone. Not sure if this helps in your skin's case, but this was my similar experience with it. :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
brad1138

Post by brad1138 »

Yincognito wrote: July 12th, 2024, 7:39 pm I'm not going to tackle rewriting the skin you're using, but if by any chance the feeds are from CNN, this happened to me as well in my feeds skin a couple of months back, was getting the same items for weeks (the issue didn't happen for FoxNews and the other sports and local news feed sites I had on my skin, by the way). It turned out that my feeds skin was fine, I just had to adjust the CNN feeds URL to a more up to date one, and then the issue was gone. Not sure if this helps in your skin's case, but this was my similar experience with it. :confused:
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll see if I can figure out the correct feed.
brad1138

Post by brad1138 »

brad1138 wrote: July 13th, 2024, 12:56 am Thanks, that makes sense. I'll see if I can figure out the correct feed.
Not as easy as I thought, I thought maybe there was just 1 address line to edit... Looks a lot more complex than I want to bother learning.

Thanks again
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

brad1138 wrote: July 13th, 2024, 1:03 am Not as easy as I thought, I thought maybe there was just 1 address line to edit... Looks a lot more complex than I want to bother learning.

Thanks again
Normally, it should be easy indeed:
- you have to locate the file where the relevant code is, starting from the .ini file of the skin and based on whatever @include lines that exist in the checked files and where they point to
- the relevant code should be a [section] that contains lines like Measure=WebParser and URL=YourFeedLinkHere (or even URL=#SomeVariableHoldingTheFeedLinkHere#)
Then, based on checking for the proper link that gives up to date feeds in the browser, you'd accordingly change either the plain link coming after URL= on that line, or the value of whatever #variable# used there (that variable might be located in one of the @include files, if the said file contains a section called [Variables]).

So, if the issue is indeed the address used to retrieve the feeds, there actually is (or should be) a single line to edit, you just have to find it, that's all. Not incredibly complex either. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth