It is currently September 8th, 2024, 4:49 am

Tapo Temperature Sensor

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
NxTH

Tapo Temperature Sensor

Post by NxTH »

Is there a way to tap into the TP-Link Tapo data to fetch temperature from the T310 and T315 sensors?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Tapo Temperature Sensor

Post by Yincognito »

NxTH wrote: June 26th, 2024, 3:58 pm Is there a way to tap into the TP-Link Tapo data to fetch temperature from the T310 and T315 sensors?
If you can export / pass / show data in a way that Rainmeter can retrieve info from (e.g. a Javascript free webpage, a json or xml, an email, etc.), then I suppose you might have a slight chance to do it... :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

NxTH wrote: June 26th, 2024, 3:58 pm Is there a way to tap into the TP-Link Tapo data to fetch temperature from the T310 and T315 sensors?
Maybe I am not educated enough, but what TP-Link Tapo, T310 and T315 sensors are?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 26th, 2024, 6:51 pmwhat TP-Link Tapo, T310 and T315 sensors are?
I think he's talking about these:
https://www.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/smart-sensor/tapo-t315/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tplink.iot&hl=en
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 26th, 2024, 7:30 pm I think he's talking about these:
Might be. However a link would have been nice, to let us know what is this related to. Or we (I?) should know?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 26th, 2024, 8:10 pm Might be. However a link would have been nice, to let us know what is this related to. Or we (I?) should know?
I always say that the quality and the details in an user's question determine the answer and the help that user gets - and as you can see, my answer isn't terribly detailed either. Not sure how much interest is shown in making things be nice or putting yourself in someone else's shoes nowadays, but then, for me personally, a Google search isn't that much of an inconvenient if the key things are at least mentioned - I learn something from that too. I do agree with your point though.
NxTH

Post by NxTH »

Yincognito wrote: June 26th, 2024, 8:47 pm I always say that the quality and the details in an user's question determine the answer and the help that user gets - and as you can see, my answer isn't terribly detailed either. Not sure how much interest is shown in making things be nice or putting yourself in someone else's shoes nowadays, but then, for me personally, a Google search isn't that much of an inconvenient if the key things are at least mentioned - I learn something from that too. I do agree with your point though.
In this case, the help was adequate. I assumed I might have missed a key ingredient in search or something similar; Turns out a skin or an implementation of this kind does not exist. I am satisfied with this information.

The Tapo sensors you have linked are the correct ones. I did not link anything, since I assumed only those people who would know would then proceed to respond. This ensures I don't waste other people's valuable time. Plus, I don't assume folks would be so nice to dig into something they don't know much about, that's asking for too much. Especially for free.

From what I understand, this is simply not possible, at least I don't see how. I have turned to Home Assistant and added the values there instead. I can then tap into this: https://github.com/cperryoh/HomeAssitant-Rainmeter

Thanks.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

NxTH wrote: June 27th, 2024, 9:41 am since I assumed only those people who would know would then proceed to respond
Yeah, most people are like that, and to a point it's a wise choice to preferentially discuss what you know. Personally, I always though that nothing is beyond reach if one at least tries to find out what's it all about (even if beforehand knowledge doesn't exist), and this was confirmed to me in practice in real life. I had no idea what were the things you mentioned, but then we are all clueless at the start so the only way forward is to learn about stuff. It's not even about being nice to dig into it, it's something that even the one answering and trying to help can benefit from, someday.

Philosophical considerations aside, you did actually made it work in a skin, via the linked plugin, right? If so, thanks a lot for sharing the approach, maybe it will help others having a similar question in the future. ;-)