It is currently April 30th, 2024, 5:21 pm

Please STOP allowing the Skins folder to default to OneDrive\Documents folder

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Cariboudjan

Please STOP allowing the Skins folder to default to OneDrive\Documents folder

Post by Cariboudjan »

Please stop this.

This makes all !WriteKeyValue slow down your computer\skins considerably, as each time a bang is used OneDrive runs to sync the changes.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Please STOP allowing the Skins folder to default to OneDrive\Documents folder

Post by balala »

Cariboudjan wrote: March 30th, 2024, 12:26 pm Please stop this.
Might be done, definitely, however you can manually change the place of your Skins folder, into Edit settings. And this has to be done only once, never again.
Cariboudjan

Re: Please STOP allowing the Skins folder to default to OneDrive\Documents folder

Post by Cariboudjan »

Skins authors like myself need to run a script at the installation of their suites to manually move the files to the local directory and change the value of SkinPath=

I had to create a skin just to perform this action automatically for people because so many people were complaining about their skins crashing or behaving abnormally slow
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Microlost is the culprit for all of this. For example, did you know you're not allowed to uninstall WebView or downgrade Edge cause these ... individuals say so? :x

Off topic, do any of you have an old offline / standalone MS Edge or WebView Runtime installation kit? Edge version 100 or WebView version 109 would be great. Nevermind, solved it.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Cariboudjan wrote: March 30th, 2024, 5:23 pm Skins authors like myself need to run a script at the installation of their suites to manually move the files to the local directory and change the value of SkinPath=

I had to create a skin just to perform this action automatically for people because so many people were complaining about their skins crashing or behaving abnormally slow
Why to run a script or skin? Can't follow you. The SkinPath setting has to be done only once. Manually. No need for scripts, apps, skins or whatever. I know, because I reinstalled my Windows few month ago, set the place of Documents folder not to OneDrive but to a drive other than C:, set the SkinPath option to the right place and since then I have no problems. As said, didn't use scripts, apps, skins, nothing like this.
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

Because I have new users totaling hundreds per day and thousands of current users, of varying levels of knowledge of Rainmeter who can't realistically be expected to edit an ini, save a file, and restart the program, as well as locate their Skins folder and move it to a local directory. I need to automate this process, which I have.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Cariboudjan wrote: March 31st, 2024, 2:35 pm Because I have new users totaling hundreds per day and thousands of current users, of varying levels of knowledge of Rainmeter who can't realistically be expected to edit an ini, save a file, and restart the program, as well as locate their Skins folder and move it to a local directory. I need to automate this process, which I have.
Even if those things have to be done only once, in the case you've described, definitely makes sense.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Incidentally, automating such a process is a consequence of MS automating its own process of OneDrive installation and redirection of the Documents folder...for more or less the same reason: can't let a few clicks and buttons fry the user's brains out, we need to make it (too) easy - and, if possible, mandatory - for him. A vicious circle with user convenience benefits on one hand, and user abilitity drawbacks on the other hand.

Far from criticizing automation itself or those having legit reasons to do it, just noticing the irony in all this. :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth