It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:56 pm

Hi everyone.

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
RainDojo

Hi everyone.

Post by RainDojo »

I've already posted a few things and didn't introduce myself, whoops. I got into RainMeter a couple of months ago when I found out my PC will never run Windows 11 because it lacks something on the processor, I Googled how to make Win10 look like 11 and came across a video on YouTube. I've been hooked ever since. Coming from the world of UI Design I am creative and looking forward to what prettiness I can create with RainMeter.

I haven't had the time to read the Manual yet so please forgive my stupid questions. I look forward to getting to know you all. Anyone else from the UK here?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Hi everyone.

Post by Yincognito »

RainDojo wrote: March 25th, 2024, 12:38 pm I've already posted a few things and didn't introduce myself, whoops. I got into RainMeter a couple of months ago when I found out my PC will never run Windows 11 because it lacks something on the processor, I Googled how to make Win10 look like 11 and came across a video on YouTube. I've been hooked ever since. Coming from the world of UI Design I am creative and looking forward to what prettiness I can create with RainMeter.

I haven't had the time to read the Manual yet so please forgive my stupid questions. I look forward to getting to know you all. Anyone else from the UK here?
We're glad to have you here. Don't worry about the questions, none of them is stupid, all of us were beginners at something at some point, and we understand that it takes a little time to become familiar with a new thing. ;-)

Regarding making Win 10 look like Win 11, you might want to read this first, so that you're aware of what can be done with Rainmeter, what was designed for, and what are its limitations:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=15957

Rainmeter has users all around the world, so I'm pretty sure the UK is represented in the user base too. :)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

RainDojo wrote: March 25th, 2024, 12:38 pm when I found out my PC will never run Windows 11 because it lacks something on the processor,
Don't be sure about this. Previously I also thought my computer will not run Windows 11, because Microsoft told me this, through the PC Health Check app. Then little bit later, after got a recommendation from a friend, I tried installing it. And surprise: Windows 11 perfectly runs since then.
If your computer is not extremely old (in which case you indeed won't be able to install Windows 11), recommend you to give it a try. Maybe worth...
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

balala wrote: March 25th, 2024, 4:43 pm Don't be sure about this. Previously I also thought my computer will not run Windows 11, because Microsoft told me this, through the PC Health Check app. Then little bit later, after got a recommendation from a friend, I tried installing it. And surprise: Windows 11 perfectly runs since then.
If your computer is not extremely old (in which case you indeed won't be able to install Windows 11), recommend you to give it a try. Maybe worth...
Would you say it's worth the upgrade? I'm hesitant.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

RicardoTM wrote: March 25th, 2024, 7:08 pm Would you say it's worth the upgrade?
No, I said maybe worth thinking about it.
RicardoTM wrote: March 25th, 2024, 7:08 pm I'm hesitant.
I was as well. But now I'm not sorry that I finally decided to try it. However I don't say at all it'll work for you, especially that I don't know the configuration of your machine (and even if would know it, were not sure it'll work). Definitely don't advise anything. Just suggesting maybe worth a try.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

balala wrote: March 25th, 2024, 7:44 pm No, I said maybe worth thinking about it.

I was as well. But now I'm not sorry that I finally decided to try it. However I don't say at all it'll work for you, especially that I don't know the configuration of your machine (and even if would know it, were not sure it'll work). Definitely don't advise anything. Just suggesting maybe worth a try.
I have an i7 6700. I'm 80% sure it would run fine. I'm more worried about stability. At this point, 3 years after release I guess there are no bugs right?. My pc is literally where I work so it's risky, especially when I have no problem with win10 (besides the clock not wanting to sync..).
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: March 25th, 2024, 11:16 pm (besides the clock not wanting to sync..).
My clock syncs just fine on Win 10. Obviously, I used internet time services like this as a source. Only on manual sync it sometimes fails the 1st time, though it always works the 2nd time.
RainDojo

Post by RainDojo »

Thanks for the replies. I have read that thing about RainMeter before and accept it's not an OS or something like ObjectDock but I do try to push the envelope whenever possible when it comes to creativity.

As for Windows 11, to cut a long story short I gave up on my UI Design career so I see no need to upgrade my PC and will just keep with what I've got. It's served me well and I'm more than happy to skin it.

Microsoft's app (http://tiny.cc/rclkxz ) says my i5 processor isn't supported which is why I haven't upgraded. I would have upgraded purely for the looks, that's how shallow I am :rofl: ).
I know there are ways around this but I'd probably be screwed by future updates.
Screenshot_2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RainDojo wrote: March 26th, 2024, 1:52 pm Thanks for the replies. I have read that thing about RainMeter before and accept it's not an OS or something like ObjectDock but I do try to push the envelope whenever possible when it comes to creativity.

As for Windows 11, to cut a long story short I gave up on my UI Design career so I see no need to upgrade my PC and will just keep with what I've got. It's served me well and I'm more than happy to skin it.

Microsoft's app (http://tiny.cc/rclkxz ) says my i5 processor isn't supported which is why I haven't upgraded. I would have upgraded purely for the looks, that's how shallow I am :rofl: ).
I know there are ways around this but I'd probably be screwed by future updates.

Screenshot_2.png
Have you tried WhyNotWin11?
https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11
WhyNotWin11.jpg
I mean, MS says a lot of things, doesn't mean all of them are true (to put it gently). Installing it is a risky venture if unsupported, of course, but it doesn't mean it's not possible. Other than that, if you're into customization and such, you surely noticed that the newer the Windows is, the less customizable it is. Not nice, IMHO. So yeah, not too many reasons to upgrade from Win 10 as long as stuff works there. Like they say, if ain't broke, don't try to fix it. :D

I'm on Win 10 as well and push Rainmeter to its limits, so I fully agree with what you said in that regard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

RicardoTM wrote: March 25th, 2024, 11:16 pm I have an i7 6700.
Me too. This exactly the processor running in my computer as well.
RicardoTM wrote: March 25th, 2024, 11:16 pm I'm 80% sure it would run fine.
Be 100% sure (or maybe even 105%). I also believed for a long time it won't run. Then I was proven wrong. Runs perfectly.
RicardoTM wrote: March 25th, 2024, 11:16 pm I'm more worried about stability. At this point, 3 years after release I guess there are no bugs right?. My pc is literally where I work so it's risky, especially when I have no problem with win10 (besides the clock not wanting to sync..).
No, as I see, Windows 11 runs perfectly. But if you're worried, stay at Windows 10. In any case, this has to be your decision. I talked about my experience, related to this question, but on your side might be a few things different.