It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:01 pm

Is it ok to have 'Deactivate' when I click an icon in my Start menu skin?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
RainDojo

Is it ok to have 'Deactivate' when I click an icon in my Start menu skin?

Post by RainDojo »

Me again (sorry). I saw a Windows12 concept video that's had a million views on YouTube and am trying to replicate it for myself with RainMeter. One of the things is a Start menu which I'm doing as we speak. I just want to know, is it okay for me to have the Start menu skin close after I click an icon?

Code: Select all

[Mail]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#winicons\File-App.png
X=103
Y=855
H=30
W=30
LeftMouseUpAction=["C:\Users\jusro\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Files_1y0xx7n9077q4\files.exe"][b][!DeactivateConfig "Win 12 Pro by RD\Menu" "Menu.ini"][/b][!Update]
AntiAlias=1
Screenshot_4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by balala on March 25th, 2024, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use <code> tags whenever are you posting codes. It's the </> button.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Is it ok to have 'Deactivate' when I click an icon in my Start menu skin?

Post by Yincognito »

RainDojo wrote: March 25th, 2024, 1:17 am Me again (sorry). I saw a Windows12 concept video that's had a million views on YouTube and am trying to replicate it for myself with RainMeter. One of the things is a Start menu which I'm doing as we speak. I just want to know, is it okay for me to have the Start menu skin close after I click an icon?

[Mail]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#winicons\File-App.png
X=103
Y=855
H=30
W=30
LeftMouseUpAction=["C:\Users\jusro\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Files_1y0xx7n9077q4\files.exe"][!DeactivateConfig "Win 12 Pro by RD\Menu" "Menu.ini"][!Update]
AntiAlias=1

Screenshot_4.png
Why wouldn't be, if that's what you want? It's you who's in control, the skin will do as you code it to do. Your skin is not an actual start menu anyway, just a replica, so besides some inconvenience, no harm done. Personally though, I'd hide only the menu meters instead of deactivating the entire skin, maybe you need the bar and buttons at the bottom for other things, even after running the said program, as per your code. At least, that's how an actual start menu behaves in the first place.

By the way, having any other bang after !DeactivateConfig (or !Refresh, for that matter) is kinda pointless since the skin will be unloaded (or refreshing in a new session) by that time, so the said bang won't happen anyway.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Well, it's your skin. It's ok to make it do whatever you want it to do, unless you have it deleting system32, then that's not ok :(. Now, if you're asking if that makes sense, well, according to my experience, all windows start menus normally close after clicking on an option.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

RainDojo wrote: March 25th, 2024, 1:17 am I saw a Windows12 concept video that's had a million views on YouTube
Could you provide us a link of that video, please?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 25th, 2024, 4:49 pm Could you provide us a link of that video, please?
I think this might be the one (incidentally, I was one of those 1 mil.+ viewers):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dgBcSGiouW8
RainDojo

Post by RainDojo »

Yes, that's the video. It looks stunning doesn't it.

I don't have my 'Start menu' close my 'Taskbar', just the Start menu itself. I've been looking at how the real Windows Stat menu behaves and copying that but I wasn't sure if Rainmeter would goof out if I kept opening and closing things.

- A kind of related question: I have a lot of Skins in my Rainmeter folder. As far as I understand it doesn't matter because when I start my PC it will only load what I chose previously, is that correct? I don't want to bloat it.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RainDojo wrote: March 26th, 2024, 1:37 pm Yes, that's the video. It looks stunning doesn't it.
The video sure does, which means the real W12 will look and behave worse... :Whistle
RainDojo wrote: March 26th, 2024, 1:37 pm - A kind of related question: I have a lot of Skins in my Rainmeter folder. As far as I understand it doesn't matter because when I start my PC it will only load what I chose previously, is that correct? I don't want to bloat it.
Yes, that's correct. You can have as many skins as you want in the skins folder, it's only the ones you chose to load / activate that will consume resources and such.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

RainDojo wrote: March 26th, 2024, 1:37 pm Yes, that's the video. It looks stunning doesn't it.

I don't have my 'Start menu' close my 'Taskbar', just the Start menu itself. I've been looking at how the real Windows Stat menu behaves and copying that but I wasn't sure if Rainmeter would goof out if I kept opening and closing things.

- A kind of related question: I have a lot of Skins in my Rainmeter folder. As far as I understand it doesn't matter because when I start my PC it will only load what I chose previously, is that correct? I don't want to bloat it.
A way to know if things are running ok is activating debug mode and periodically check the about tab for errors. You can also check the cpu usage on the task manager. What you want to avoid is refreshing the skins when it's not necessary and avoid fast update cycles.
RainDojo

Post by RainDojo »

Thanks guys. Considering Windows 10 is yesterdays-news (to Microsoft), they never did update the Control Panel so I wouldn't expect anything too pretty from Windows 12. That said, I was a UI Designer and people always wanted function-over-form. Microsoft probably wont want to change things too much as some people will moan (Windows 8 for example).
I was surprised to recently find out that YouTube Windows 12 video uses an app called 'Files' which doesn't look a hell of a lot different from what you see in the video.. guess what I'm using now :D