It is currently April 26th, 2024, 3:01 pm

multiple screen configurations setting?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
jerrodbug

multiple screen configurations setting?

Post by jerrodbug »

i was reading the instructions on configuring multiple monitors, and i saw this:

"More on Multiple Monitors

There is a "Display Monitor" submenu in [Skins Menu]-[Position] of the Rainmeter tray icon."

Yet i do NOT see this anywhere when i click on the tray icon. how do i find this option? i have tried to manually configure the "@3" to move things to a third monitor, but it does not seem to do anything at all.

im using rainmeter 1.2 64-bit
jsmorley
Developer

Re: multiple screen configurations setting?

Post by jsmorley »

[rainflash]561,583,ftp://jsmorley.serveftp.com/Context.swf[/rainflash]
IslandHop

Post by IslandHop »

I am having a similar problem with the same version (64bit release on Windows 7 64). I have two monitors, running the previous release I had Enigma running on my right hand monitor (which is not my Primary Display).

I have just updated to the latest release - the install saw my previous configurations etc but no matter what I do I can not seem to get it to display on the right monitor - It will only display on my primary Display (my left hand monitor).

Have tried the above and searched for any "manual" settings but nothing seems to make any difference ... I'm stumped !!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

All you really have to do is drag the skin(s) to the monitor and position you want. Rainmeter will automatically remember their position from then on. If you have trouble with a skin staying on a particular monitor when Rainmeter is refreshed or restarted, try setting "stay on screen" off for that skin. Sometimes a bit of a skin you may not even see will be partly on another monitor's screen, and this setting can make it "jump" when Rainmeter is first started.

By default Rainmeter will see both monitors as one large "virtual screen" and Rainmeter.ini will change so the WindowX and WindowY settings for the config will have an appropriate value. For instance, if you have two 1280 wide monitors, and you drag a skin to 10 pixels in on the second monitor, the WindowX setting by default will be WindowX=1290. If you use the context menu and set the "monitor" to "@2", the setting will change to WindowX=10@2.

Don't be confused by this. The "position / monitor" settings in the context menu are not meant to be used to move the skin from screen to screen, but to have a way to tell Rainmeter which monitor's resolution to use to set values like #SCREENAREAWIDTH# and #SCREENAREAHEIGHT# in the program which can be used in skin code to position skins relative to the size of the monitor in question. To literally "move" a skin, whether two pixels on a the current screen, or all the way over to the right edge of your third monitor, you DRAG the skin. It will stay there.

Note: While the above is in general true, you can in fact move a whole bunch of skins from one screen to another without dragging using Rainmeter.ini. Just use "Edit Settings", and if for instance a skin is set to WindowX=50, or WindowX=50@1, you can make it move to the same position on another monitor by manually changing the setting to WindowX=50@2, saving and refreshing Rainmeter. The skin will jump to 50 pixels in on the second monitor instead of being 50 pixels in on the first.
jerrodbug

Post by jerrodbug »

thanks for the video, that helped alot.

When i was doing it i was hoping there was a global setting so that i could set that once and everything would be on my 3rd monitor.

Also, i for some reason cannot get the @2, @3 thing to work for me at all. where exactly do i use that notation at?

I also have tried just dragging things to the other monitor, and it does work, but the issue comes in when you are trying to line everything up to be consistent. some of the items are difficult to tell if they are aligned correctly, but by using exact numbers versus dragging things i can satisfy my obsessive compulsive need to have everything aligned :)

I will give it another go tonite and see if i can get it all straightened out.

Thanks again, appreciate the help--and the program.
psypher

Post by psypher »

As a first time user, I'm having a hard time setting up rain meter. I find that setting it up is a real PITA. Why can't I simply click an option and move it all to another monitor? How do I get through the clutter of all the crap that's mixed with my icons. Why don't things snap to edges? Every time I try to set it up, it just frustrates the shit out of me and I end up removing it.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

psypher wrote:As a first time user, I'm having a hard time setting up rain meter. I find that setting it up is a real PITA. Why can't I simply click an option and move it all to another monitor? How do I get through the clutter of all the crap that's mixed with my icons. Why don't things snap to edges? Every time I try to set it up, it just frustrates the shit out of me and I end up removing it.
Have you read the guide for how to not be frustrated with rainmeter?
http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101
I don't think, therefore I'm not.