It is currently April 28th, 2024, 10:47 am

!SetAnchor - !SetWindowPosition - Shared In any possible way to a variant upper left coordinate

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
CodeCode

!SetAnchor - !SetWindowPosition - Shared In any possible way to a variant upper left coordinate

Post by CodeCode »

I have been reading about !setanchor and windowX or WindowY, and the intended behaviour to expect - preferably possible to match x=0 y=0 for variants in the same folder.

There seems to be a lot of old and new talk about these features, and all of the successful or unsuccessful outcomes for several forum posts in the last 8 years from what I read through, had successful but not for my situation.

Is what I am looking for possible since 2018 is fairly back dated with new plugins or lua codes.

I have been trying to delve into lua with rainmeter, but possibly there is a more simple way in standard RMScript?
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: !SetAnchor - !SetWindowPosition - Shared In any possible way to a variant upper left coordinate

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: November 30th, 2023, 9:48 pm I have been reading about !setanchor and windowX or WindowY, and the intended behaviour to expect - preferably possible to match x=0 y=0 for variants in the same folder.

There seems to be a lot of old and new talk about these features, and all of the successful or unsuccessful outcomes for several forum posts in the last 8 years from what I read through, had successful but not for my situation.

Is what I am looking for possible since 2018 is fairly back dated with new plugins or lua codes.

I have been trying to delve into lua with rainmeter, but possibly there is a more simple way in standard RMScript?
There probably is, if only the question, if any, would be clearer... Maybe giving an actual scenario example and what you'd expect from it would help in understanding what you meant. From my part, no code is needed until I understand what the objective is all about. Like, say, variant A is at ?, ? and you want variant B at ?, ? or something like that. Also, what would you need it for, maybe there's a better way to do it.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
CodeCode

Re: !SetAnchor - !SetWindowPosition - Shared In any possible way to a variant upper left coordinate

Post by CodeCode »

CodeCode wrote: November 30th, 2023, 9:48 pm I have been reading about !setanchor and windowX or WindowY, and the intended behaviour to expect - preferably possible to match x=0 y=0 for variants in the same folder.
So the question was more about this, to be the desired outcome.

Variant B is a smaller version of variant A. Matching them to both share the same upper left coordinate of each other, regardless of the specific variant's location on the screen. That is what I am hoping to get as the result. The idea is that the location on the screen be the common value of each variant to appear, yet having that be arbitrary, or up to the end user with no restriction.

By default it seems they share the same center location, and are aligned when switching to the other. I was hoping to have that be the upper left corner instead.

I hope I am explaining this right, since I know there are methods that might be adapted, but was hoping to possibly have a clearer way than those I read about - if there is one, that is.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: December 1st, 2023, 5:20 am So the question was more about this, to be the desired outcome.

Variant B is a smaller version of variant A. Matching them to both share the same upper left coordinate of each other, regardless of the specific variant's location on the screen. That is what I am hoping to get as the result. The idea is that the location on the screen be the common value of each variant to appear, yet having that be arbitrary, or up to the end user with no restriction.

By default it seems they share the same center location, and are aligned when switching to the other. I was hoping to have that be the upper left corner instead.

I hope I am explaining this right, since I know there are methods that might be adapted, but was hoping to possibly have a clearer way than those I read about - if there is one, that is.
Variants of the same skin already share their top left coordinates by default. Of course, if you already set the anchor / position of one of them to be centered, then I suspect this will trabslate to the other variant as well (not sure though, but the manual seems to agree):
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/#Variants
That could explain what you're experiencing: it's like saying you want something to be both 0.5 and 1 meter in length at the same time - it's a contradiction. Since both variants share the same settings, altering the settings of one to be centered will also alter the other's in the same way. Thus, none of them will be able to share its top left corner with the other, since, like you already said, they don't have the same size (in which case, they would, even if they're both centered).
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Ok. Yep.

I got that gist as well, but I have misinterpreted the manual a bit.

So this is the problem then : This Behaviour:: The skin returns to the same position every time it is refreshed (the left top side of the main monitor).

I have removed any !SetWindowPosition bangs but the skin is frustratingly locked somehow.

I will try deleting the rainmeter.ini, and rebuild it with a refresh all.

Thanks Yincognito, I appreciate your generous and regular help, on my own and many others, as well.

I'll pop back once I have tried rebuilding the rainmeter.ini.

Edit: Ack! It didn't work. Dang.

Edit2: for some reason, my rainmeter.ini had every skin I have used for according to my memory 3 to 4 years worth. So I broke off and deleted any and all instances of rainmeter.ini.

Now, as you said Yincognito, the variants align on the upper left corner.
There were so many windowx and windowy coordinates after about 5 minutes of futility, did I exact my design to regain control of my desk top.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: December 1st, 2023, 8:27 am Ok. Yep.

I got that gist as well, but I have misinterpreted the manual a bit.

So this is the problem then : This Behaviour:: The skin returns to the same position every time it is refreshed (the left top side of the main monitor).

I have removed any !SetWindowPosition bangs but the skin is frustratingly locked somehow.

I will try deleting the rainmeter.ini, and rebuild it with a refresh all.

Thanks Yincognito, I appreciate your generous and regular help, on my own and many others, as well.

I'll pop back once I have tried rebuilding the rainmeter.ini.

Edit: Ack! It didn't work. Dang.

Edit2: for some reason, my rainmeter.ini had every skin I have used for according to my memory 3 to 4 years worth. So I broke off and deleted any and all instances of rainmeter.ini.

Now, as you said Yincognito, the variants align on the upper left corner.
There were so many windowx and windowy coordinates after about 5 minutes of futility, did I exact my design to regain control of my desk top.
So, did you succeed eventually, right? :???:
Yep, Rainmeter.ini keeps track of all the skins that you installed over time and their settings. I too like to keep it tidy and sometimes clean it up a bit.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Yincognito wrote: December 1st, 2023, 7:04 pm So, did you succeed eventually, right? :???:
Yep, Rainmeter.ini keeps track of all the skins that you installed over time and their settings. I too like to keep it tidy and sometimes clean it up a bit.
Yep. All good. I remember from a while back that the rainmeter ini was was much less cluttered. I just didnt realise that it collected so many skins and for a long time it never mattered. But now that I know that. I can ensure old settings are not being archived. Even deleting the file didnt work until I deleted all of the separate rainmeter.ini files - saved in versions of layouts etc.
:thumbup: