It is currently April 28th, 2024, 12:47 am

Lost my widget!

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
netmouse

Lost my widget!

Post by netmouse »

I've had a lovely clock and date widget on my desktop for a while, 'MagnuMizer's Time and Date'. But when I switch monitors on various workstations at work, it moves about in ways I don't understand and I have to reposition it. Yesterday, it came up right in the middle of a monitor, so I moved it down to the left bottom corner and forgot to move it back before I logged off. Now I don't know where to find it as I think I moved it off the visible bit of screen for the monitor I'm using today! Had a look at the configuration settings file but I can't see any obvious coordinates.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Lost my widget!

Post by Yincognito »

netmouse wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 9:48 am I've had a lovely clock and date widget on my desktop for a while, 'MagnuMizer's Time and Date'. But when I switch monitors on various workstations at work, it moves about in ways I don't understand and I have to reposition it. Yesterday, it came up right in the middle of a monitor, so I moved it down to the left bottom corner and forgot to move it back before I logged off. Now I don't know where to find it as I think I moved it off the visible bit of screen for the monitor I'm using today! Had a look at the configuration settings file but I can't see any obvious coordinates.
See the image just before the explanation here, for multiple monitor configurations:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#SkinSettings
I don't use multiple monitors myself, but the above should clarify some of the things you're confused about.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
netmouse

Post by netmouse »

Thank you! I found the co-ordinates - I forgot how to access the Manage window! Now I've tried checking 'keep on screen' so I'll see if that stops the problem from happening again...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

netmouse wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 12:37 pmNow I've tried checking 'keep on screen' so I'll see if that stops the problem from happening again...
Not sure about that, but you're welcomed to try. I mostly referred to the monitor settings earlier, where you choose which monitor you want to place your skin on...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

netmouse wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 9:48 am I've had a lovely clock and date widget on my desktop for a while, 'MagnuMizer's Time and Date'. But when I switch monitors on various workstations at work, it moves about in ways I don't understand and I have to reposition it. Yesterday, it came up right in the middle of a monitor, so I moved it down to the left bottom corner and forgot to move it back before I logged off. Now I don't know where to find it as I think I moved it off the visible bit of screen for the monitor I'm using today! Had a look at the configuration settings file but I can't see any obvious coordinates.
Yincognito's suggestion is definitely the best and simplest approach, however there is another, let's name it brute-forced, positioning procedure as well. If you're interested here is what have you to do. Open Rainmeter.ini, by clicking Edit settings in the context menu of Rainmeter. The file opens in the default text editor. Look for the config of the skin you want to reposition and replace the WindowX and WindowY options with the desired values. If your skin is not visible, being outside of the primary screen, use WindowX=0 and WindowY=0. Save and close the file. Theoretically you should have to refresh the skin of which you've altered the settings, but if it's not visible you can't do this (well, in fact you can from the Manage dialog, but still), so do a Refresh all. The skin should have to be repositioned to the upper left corner of your primary screen.