It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:41 pm

[solved] UsageMonitor Plugin. Read and Write rate for each drive

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
lysy1993lbn

[solved] UsageMonitor Plugin. Read and Write rate for each drive

Post by lysy1993lbn »

Hello

I've gotten a bit overwhelmed with trying to figure out proper papameters to get current Read and Write rate for entire drive.
Manual isn't clear on where exacly an I suposed to look for that data..
Last edited by lysy1993lbn on November 19th, 2023, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
my deviantART | Alternative Rainmeter tray icons
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: UsageMonitor Plugin. Read and Write rate for each drive

Post by SilverAzide »

lysy1993lbn wrote: November 18th, 2023, 9:44 pm Hello

I've gotten a bit overwhelmed with trying to figure out proper papameters to get current Read and Write rate for entire drive.
Manual isn't clear on where exacly an I suposed to look for that data..
It is literally the first sentence of the documentation for the measure:
Plugin=UsageMonitor retrieves information from the Windows Performance Monitor.

From the Start menu, find Windows Tools and open it:
Screenshot 2023-11-18 192634.png

Select Performance Monitor:
Screenshot 2023-11-18 193907.png

Under Monitoring Tools, open the Performance Monitor branch and click the green "+" button.
Screenshot 2023-11-18 193126.png

Find the LogicalDisk category (make note of this name) and expand it. Locate the 2 counters you want and make note of the counter name and the instances:
Screenshot 2023-11-18 195013.png

Using this information (category name, counter name, instance names), the measures for your C: drive would look like this:

Code: Select all

[MeasureDiskReadC]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=UsageMonitor
Category=LogicalDisk
Counter="Disk Read Bytes/sec"
Name="C:"

[MeasureDiskWriteC]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=UsageMonitor
Category=LogicalDisk
Counter="Disk Write Bytes/sec"
Name="C:"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
lysy1993lbn

Post by lysy1993lbn »

SilverAzide wrote: November 19th, 2023, 12:55 am It is literally the first sentence of the documentation for the measure:
I does. If you already knew how Performance Monitor works in the first place.
However, I didn't know how to get proper "parameter names".

Your instruction taught me that - and I think it should be included on documentation page.

Thank you for your time and effort to respond with pictures, as well as sample code :thumbup:
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

lysy1993lbn wrote: November 19th, 2023, 10:37 am I does. If you already knew how Performance Monitor works in the first place.
However, I didn't know how to get proper "parameter names".

Your instruction taught me that - and I think it should be included on documentation page.
Well, the Perfmon.exe name, a link to the Performance Monitor page at Microsoft and code examples that don't necessarily use aliases are all present on that page in the manual - just saying. It stands to reason that the Rainmeter manual is not the Windows manual to teach the latter, and that the user can also easily google to find out how to use such Windows tools. It's not like any if us were born with that knowledge, we roughly followed the same path as you did, while using all the available ways to get the info we needed (with this forum being one of them, of course, but not the only one). ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
lysy1993lbn

Re: [solved] UsageMonitor Plugin. Read and Write rate for each drive

Post by lysy1993lbn »

As I've said. I got overwhelmed by quantity of information to read on Microsoft page, while SilverAzide's instruction was very clear and quickly understood.

I've roughly understood how the plugin works from the documentation; just not where exactly in perfmon can I find the parameters I require (Category, Counter, Name) etc.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [solved] UsageMonitor Plugin. Read and Write rate for each drive

Post by Yincognito »

lysy1993lbn wrote: November 20th, 2023, 12:45 am As I've said. I got overwhelmed by quantity of information to read on Microsoft page, while SilverAzide's instruction was very clear and quickly understood.

I've roughly understood how the plugin works from the documentation; just not where exactly in perfmon can I find the parameters I require (Category, Counter, Name) etc.
Sure thing - personally, I rarely read all the documentation pages in such cases for more or less the same reason as you mentioned, many times it's more practical to go just for the bits of information you're interested in at that moment. But yeah, it also depends on how well those pages are written, to help the user find out such things easier. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth