It is currently May 8th, 2024, 7:44 pm

How do I load a saved skin to a rainmeter

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jckinncik

How do I load a saved skin to a rainmeter

Post by jckinncik »

Changing computers and I have my skins saved but its been so long that I have forgotten how to upload my skins and settings on to a new rainmeter
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How do I load a saved skin to a rainmeter

Post by balala »

jckinncik wrote: August 13th, 2023, 11:55 pm Changing computers and I have my skins saved but its been so long that I have forgotten how to upload my skins and settings on to a new rainmeter
Let's see if I understand you: you got a new computer and would like to transfere the skins from the old computer to the new one. Is this right?
If it is, install Rainmeter to the new computer (probably done, right?) and copy the whole content of the Skins folder from the old computer, to the new computer. Take care about the location of Skins folder. In most cases it is C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins, but not always. Depending on how did you install Rainmeter, skins might be located into another folder. You are the one who should know or can figure this out.
Anyway if you successfully copied the content of the Skins folder, do a Refresh All on the new computer and you'll have all skins existing on the old computer, with exactly the same settings.
Hope I understood you well. Sorry if I didn't. If this is the case, please come back with a few details on what would you like to do.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Copying all skins isn't always enough. Layouts and plugins (which reside in similar folders) can be handled like this as well.

P.S. Not sure if Rainmeter would automatically copy the used plugins from the @Vault folder, or the latter is only meant for their general storage.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: August 14th, 2023, 1:21 pm Copying all skins isn't always enough. Layouts and plugins (which reside in similar folders) can be handled like this as well.
Right, my bad I forgot this detail. While layout might be less important, if skins to transfere are using 3rd-party plugins plugins (and most probably they do), those skins won't (or at least won't work properly) working, if the plugins are not transferred.
So most probably all skins existing on the first computer should be reinstalled to the new one, then if needed to keep the existing settings, the Skins folder should be copied, as described previously. This way the skins, the plugins and the layouts will be transferred all.
Yincognito wrote: August 14th, 2023, 1:21 pm P.S. Not sure if Rainmeter would automatically copy the used plugins from the @Vault folder, or the latter is only meant for their general storage.
No, it doesn't. The @Vault folder is meant only for general storeage, so to keep resources (in most cases plugins, but not just), for later use.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: August 14th, 2023, 6:45 pm Right, my bad I forgot this detail. While layout might be less important, if skins to transfere are using 3rd-party plugins plugins (and most probably they do), those skins won't (or at least won't work properly) working, if the plugins are not transferred.
So most probably all skins existing on the first computer should be reinstalled to the new one, then if needed to keep the existing settings, the Skins folder should be copied, as described previously. This way the skins, the plugins and the layouts will be transferred all.

No, it doesn't. The @Vault folder is meant only for general storeage, so to keep resources (in most cases plugins, but not just), for later use.
Yep, my impression as well. So, to summarize, for a default Rainmeter installation, copying these folders and their entire contents:
C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins
C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter
then pasting them on the new machine should replicate entirely the old Rainmeter setup. Obviously, assuming Rainmeter is installed as well on it.

The alternative is, of course, to either pack all the skins from the old machine and install them on the new one (this can be tricky since it requires the user to know exactly what plugins and layouts belong to each skin and to include those too in the package), or making a list with the links from where those skins have been downloaded in order to download and install them again on the new machine.

Personally, I think the 2 folders variant is the most straightfoward and easy to follow, if the skins' size is not an issue. I always keep my skins, plugins and layouts in unpacked form for easy "manual install" from a different drive, with a few select ones being packed as well for conveniency.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jckinncik

Post by jckinncik »

balala wrote: August 14th, 2023, 11:56 am Let's see if I understand you: you got a new computer and would like to transfere the skins from the old computer to the new one. Is this right?
If it is, install Rainmeter to the new computer (probably done, right?) and copy the whole content of the Skins folder from the old computer, to the new computer. Take care about the location of Skins folder. In most cases it is C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins, but not always. Depending on how did you install Rainmeter, skins might be located into another folder. You are the one who should know or can figure this out.
Anyway if you successfully copied the content of the Skins folder, do a Refresh All on the new computer and you'll have all skins existing on the old computer, with exactly the same settings.
Hope I understood you well. Sorry if I didn't. If this is the case, please come back with a few details on what would you like to do.
Thanks I'll try that, I already have some loaded if I go back to the other computer and grab the skins folder to transfer is it going to cause problems now?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jckinncik wrote: August 16th, 2023, 2:44 am is it going to cause problems now?
No, but if any of those skins is requiring some 3-rd party plugin and the plugin is not installed, the skin won't work properly. So, see Yincognito's reply above on how can you get the plugins as well.