It is currently April 26th, 2024, 10:04 pm

Uses with no internet

General topics related to Rainmeter.
mrbaggins

Uses with no internet

Post by mrbaggins »

Due to corporate proxy issues with my laptop, I cannot use any online features for Rainmeter at work.

So I was wondering what useful things people recommend for sticking on my desktop that don't require a connection. Things like a Notes/Todo list app are kind of obvious, but any suggestions are welcome. Not particularly interested in the whole "Every minute detail about the system" that a lot of people like, except maybe battery power (It's a laptop).
JpsCrazy

Re: Uses with no internet

Post by JpsCrazy »

A clock.
If it's allowed, a music skin.
Cosmic Blocks - a simple game.
Hotspots - you can touch certain portions of the screen to make things happen. It could help with productivity?
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

try put the proxy in IE connection settings, maybe something will happend, i think it uses port 80 for internet access, and you must have that port open
if not
there are some system monitor, network, drives info..........

of this ones Pong!

Magic 8-Ball
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
mrbaggins

Post by mrbaggins »

Was looking at suggestions more along the lines of "A dock" or "A clock" rather than games, but thanks.

Does rainmeter cache things? Like, if I have my calendar pull info at home, then take my lappy to work and boot it up, will it remember what it has seen before?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

mrbaggins wrote:Was looking at suggestions more along the lines of "A dock" or "A clock" rather than games, but thanks.

Does rainmeter cache things? Like, if I have my calendar pull info at home, then take my lappy to work and boot it up, will it remember what it has seen before?
There actually is a way that could work, but it would be tricky. Without getting into all the details now, what you could do is:

* Have a measure that does a "ping" of the server in question.

* If the ping is successful, You would use a bang to activate a WebParser measure would get the ENTIRE site into a file using Debug=2 and DebugFile=.\site.html or some such name. You just need a simple RegExp like RegExp="(?siU)<body>(.*)</body>" (There is a more clever one that gets the entire site and not just the body, I forget it off the top of my head)

* If the ping is unsuccessful, you don't activate that WebParser measure so the file is not overwritten with an empty file (I'd have to test, this may not be needed if WebParser doesn't mess up the old site.html file if the measure fails.

* Then you have a WebParser measure that reads the local site.html file using the URL=file:// construct instead of URL=http:// and parse it into StringIndexes you use in additional WebParser measures that breaks it up so you can display the info in meters as normal.