It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:46 pm

control actions in skin 2 from skin 1

General topics related to Rainmeter.
LuciferVisuals

control actions in skin 2 from skin 1

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Hi All,

I have been working on several new skins at the same time. And am wondering (in simple terms) If A button (for example) in one skin can control an action in another skin (assuming both are loaded).

I know how to load entire skins etc. But I'm thinking of one shin being a controller, and other skins having things to control.

Keith
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: control actions in skin 2 from skin 1

Post by eclectic-tech »

LuciferVisuals wrote: May 27th, 2023, 9:50 pm Hi All,

I have been working on several new skins at the same time. And am wondering (in simple terms) If A button (for example) in one skin can control an action in another skin (assuming both are loaded).

I know how to load entire skins etc. But I'm thinking of one shin being a controller, and other skins having things to control.

Keith
Most bangs can have a final parameter of another Config (usually the root folder name and the folder name containing the skin you want to control; e.g. "illustro\Clock"), so the action is taken in that config and not the current config. See Bangs Docs
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

LuciferVisuals wrote: May 27th, 2023, 9:50 pm I have been working on several new skins at the same time. And am wondering (in simple terms) If A button (for example) in one skin can control an action in another skin (assuming both are loaded).
To give you an example of what eclectic-tech said above (his reply is perfect, however I think an example could help you), here is one.
Let's assume you want ot hide the [meterTitle] meter from the Skins\illustro\Clock\Clock.ini skin (illustro is the default skin package installed with Rainmeter, so you should have it and this why I chose this one), when you click a meter into any other skin you have installed. You have to add the following LeftMouseUpAction option to the meter which you want to use to hide the [meterTitle] meter: LeftMouseUpAction=[!HideMeter "meterTitle" "illustro\Clock"]. See what ecelctic-tech wrote about using the config name of the skin you want to hide the meter in. The second parameter of the above !HideMeter bang is the name of the config of the Skins\illustro\Clock\Clock.ini skin (in this case illustro\Clock).
Even better you can add a !Redraw bang to the above LeftMouseUpAction, to immediately get visible the hidden of the meter, this way: LeftMouseUpAction=[!HideMeter "meterTitle" "illustro\Clock"][!Redraw "illustro\Clock"] .
One single thing to be added: not to get error, you have to have activated the skin which you want to alter this way when you apply any bang using a Config parameter (in this case, you have to have activated the Skins\illustro\Clock\Clock.ini skin, when you click the meter having added the above LeftMouseUpAction option).
Hope you can figure out how to do what you want in your case. If you can't, please let us know what you want to do and in which skin.
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

eclectic-tech wrote: May 27th, 2023, 10:12 pm Most bangs can have a final parameter of another Config (usually the root folder name and the folder name containing the skin you want to control; e.g. "illustro\Clock"), so the action is taken in that config and not the current config. See Bangs Docs
Thanks, I'll try, in fact have been, I have a dozen interactive skins that can detect each other and share elements. Quite cool if I say so myself. Unfortunately I'm, dyslexic, when I look at a page of words. I cant read them, I cant even read my own code once I have written it, crazy as that may seem. I have however the ability to work out most of what I think it should do in my head, and with a fair bit of trial and error, so far I have always got it doing what I want..... Eventually! I mention this as I'm sure we will talk again as soon as I start completing and putting some of my stuff on the forum. But to me an example, is worth more than a thousand words, because I can immediately start playing with it, then with trial and error I can "Eventually" make it do some clever things.

BTW was playing with your horizontal scroll TM again the other day, its in one of my skins, but this time I was translating it into the language of the ancients (Lantern) for the Atlantis computer I'm working on, (it will have a universal translate button that translates everything into Nox, and universal interstellar language, and thanks to a "Hack" written by Dr Daniel Jackson, and implemented by Major Carter, it now translates into English as well (That parts' fiction obviously, I actually wrote it, but it explains why English is one of the languages available, else it wouldn't be there). That Matrix is very cool.

Obviously I developed "coping mechanisms" to be able to write, (and TFF) modern spell checkers, almost every word here was underlined in red LOL :lol: :lol:

Rainmeter is amazing, and in some ways not being able to read the manual, actually works to my advantage, because, most of what I'm doing by it's nature is original, it has to be, I cant read the manual. For example how my skins can detect the presence other of my skins (even if not loaded) and literally can then use their resources, took me days and days to work out how that was possible, all in my head, went round and round in circles then suddenly I knew how to do it, (using the limited code I have managed to master).

I will try and look that up, I see Balalah has also answered with some examples, I think he guessed from some previous conversations that I can do a lot if I have a example to start with (I didn't actually tell him I cant actually read), at school they said I would never learn to read or write and put me in a "special class", that didn't actually teach us anything, but I went on to win some math and science prizes, and stuff not taught my class) and then went on to get a Masters degree and after I retired in fact a Doctorate, so now I officially know I'm not thick, but they were right, I never learned to read, and it's only recently that I have stopped trying to hide that fact :oops: :Whistle

Keith

PS Thanks for the answer, and again for allowing me to use you TM.

(Took a while to work out how it worked though :???: , but understand most of it and can now adapt it fairly easily to my needs)
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

balala wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:00 am To give you an example of what eclectic-tech said above (his reply is perfect, however I think an example could help you),
Yes if you read my reply to eclectic-tec, you will see I cant actually read, so an example is always better for me, somehow I can retain a lot of code in my head (once I have the relative code, in the first place) and can literally play with it in my head, until I know what to do with it. I have a LOT of stuff almost finished (been working on about 12 interrelated projects at once, they all work together) and quite a bit has taken advantage of your previous help. This last question was a bit of an afterthought.... But would be extremely useful.
Hope you can figure out how to do what you want in your case. If you can't, please let us know what you want to do and in which skin.
I think I'll get there, reason I have not been in contact for a bit, is because I have not got stuck on anything for a bit, well I have, but so far I have worked out the answers myself, but I'm not afraid to ask for help, the inability to read can result in me getting stuck on some very simple basic things, because I have no way to find the info, until someone actually shows it to me, then as soon as I understand how it works I will be able to use it, and also play with it and make it do things that probably were not intended.

I suspect my coding is "unusual"..... BTW... That error log has been a God send, but I wouldn't have found it if you didn't point it out.... Still hate you for that :twisted: Just Kidding. (Oh found how to build smilies into the text in my code. Real ones not just unicode, but probably more trouble than it was worth, especially if someone changes the font, because that put the thing in the wrong place)

I will now play with all your examples.... Thanks

Keith
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

balala wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:00 am
I must be getting better at this, I understand all that thanks

Keith
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

LuciferVisuals wrote: May 28th, 2023, 9:57 am Yes if you read my reply to eclectic-tec, you will see I cant actually read, so an example is always better for me,
I'm sorry about your problems. But I think an example (or more) is always better for anyone, regardless if has or has not such problems. For me at least, definitely. This is why I posted that example.
LuciferVisuals wrote: May 28th, 2023, 9:57 am I think I'll get there, reason I have not been in contact for a bit, is because I have not got stuck on anything for a bit, well I have, but so far I have worked out the answers myself, but I'm not afraid to ask for help, the inability to read can result in me getting stuck on some very simple basic things, because I have no way to find the info, until someone actually shows it to me, then as soon as I understand how it works I will be able to use it, and also play with it and make it do things that probably were not intended.
Never be afraid to ask for help here on this forum. However I can't really realize what "can't read" does mean, because as far as I can tell, reading your previous questions (not just on this topic, but on others as well), I'd say you read (and understood) the posts.
LuciferVisuals wrote: May 28th, 2023, 9:57 am I suspect my coding is "unusual".....
Everyone's coding is (or at least might be in some cases) unusual for others. Don't worry about this...
LuciferVisuals wrote: May 28th, 2023, 9:57 am That error log has been a God send, but I wouldn't have found it if you didn't point it out....
The log is one of the most efficient ways to figure out the errors of your code. It worth to often take a look to it and fix the issues, if it shows any.
LuciferVisuals wrote: May 28th, 2023, 9:57 am (Oh found how to build smilies into the text in my code. Real ones not just unicode, but probably more trouble than it was worth, especially if someone changes the font, because that put the thing in the wrong place)
And how do you this, because I'm not sure I know what are you talking about?
LuciferVisuals wrote: May 28th, 2023, 9:57 am I will now play with all your examples.... Thanks
Feel free to come back if any question arrises.
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

balala wrote: May 28th, 2023, 3:56 pm But I think an example (or more) is always better for anyone, regardless
100% definitely.

[/quote] I can't really realize what "can't read" does mean,

I'm "Dyslexic", it's a recognized medical condition, I'm in my 70's now and over a lifetime I have developed many coping mechanisms, and modern technology has helped greatly, (so effectively that people do not realize I cannot actually read, well only a few words at a time. I was born just after World War 2, and then everyone just thought you were stupid. It means I'm blind to words, they are patterns on paper, to me. Not a problem I have always lived with it, and I'm lucky enough to have other gifts that more than make up for it, and allow me to work around the problem.

I admit it using it was very frustrating at first, and it took me a long time to understand it's messages (my problem I expect), but once mastered, it's fantastic.

RIGHT I DO HAVE A QUESTION.

The Bell on this page shows you your messages, and I use it all the time to see who to answer.

But during the time I was not sending in new post, its deleted all my old ones, they are probably still on the system. I now "THINK" the bell
is just for new post that need looking at, is that right?

If so how can I get back to my older ones. there is a lot of information people like you sent me, that I did not fully understand at the time, but fully intended going back to them when I had learned enough to understand what they were saying. Have they gone? or are they still on here somewhere. and if so how can I find them, (see silly basic question, but I cant work it out)

ALSO Very General But

I have just finished a couple of visually impressive Stargates, If I say so myself they are the best I have seen, they are self contained so work as is, but are modules of something bigger, want to take a look and let me know what you think? The offer is open to anyone else reading this who wants to take a look, any hints on how i could of coded them better would be welcome, (and I'll prob understand them now) but I prob wont re-code these atm. As they work and I'm happy with them, and I have a LOT of other stuff I want to finish, but suggestions will be very useful for the stuff I have not finished. (and possibly I'll re do them later if the suggestion is about improving performance or the final result)

If anyone does take a look, I do have a question about the alternating rotatory I built, it works fine, but I found another rotator written buy some one else that appears to me ever so slightly Smoother, but I have tried everything and it wont reverse, well not for me. If I could make that alternate, then I would definitely think about re coding (if not immediately, but when I have enough other changes to make it worth while)

I'm just going to tidy up the code a bit, get rid of a lot of my ; remarked out experimental work, then I'll put them in the appropriate section of the forum

Keith

PS IF you saw thif bfore the spell checker fixex it youb would get a better isdea about my reading prioblem :oops:
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

balala wrote: May 28th, 2023, 3:56 pm
The log is one of the most efficient ways to figure out the errors of your code.
Sorry I must have forgot to close quotes on this, think its obvious where it fits in

k
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

LuciferVisuals wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:24 am 100% definitely.
I can't really realize what "can't read" does mean,
[/quote]
Yep, but you should have read all my sentence:
balala wrote: May 28th, 2023, 3:56 pm However I can't really realize what "can't read" does mean, because as far as I can tell, reading your previous questions (not just on this topic, but on others as well), I'd say you read (and understood) the posts.
So what I wanted to tell is that based on your previous replies posted in different topics, doesn't seem you don't understand what has been written.