It is currently April 25th, 2024, 9:53 am

NowPlaying stopped working.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
sl23

Re: NowPlaying stopped working.

Post by sl23 »

Yincognito wrote: May 6th, 2023, 2:19 pm (I did a test once with Win 98 on a contemporary PC and couldn't keep up with its speed, for real).
I so wish windows was still that small! I don't really understand why it's got so massively bloated! How much is a typical install nowadays? Gotta be around 15 to 20gb? Compare that to win98!!! :o

The vast majority of the crap that comes with Windows I never use! No apps, no cortana, no edge, no media players or editors, virtually nothing except the core operating system that is required to run my own preferred choice of third party apps!

Seriously, why do they bundle all that rubbish with it?

Take a look at all the hype over new processors, claiming super duper speeds, yet my first pc with a pentium 4 started just as quickly as my core i7 12th gen does! Why? Because the os was more than ten times smaller! Pc's should be blazing fast compared to older units, yet they aren't, coe they're held back by the biggest bottleneck there is, the os!
- MuLab -
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: May 8th, 2023, 10:30 pm I so wish [...] the biggest bottleneck there is, the os!
Spot on. :Whistle
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: May 8th, 2023, 10:30 pm I so wish windows was still that small! I don't really understand why it's got so massively bloated! How much is a typical install nowadays? Gotta be around 15 to 20gb? Compare that to win98!!! :o

The vast majority of the crap that comes with Windows I never use! No apps, no cortana, no edge, no media players or editors, virtually nothing except the core operating system that is required to run my own preferred choice of third party apps!

Seriously, why do they bundle all that rubbish with it?

Take a look at all the hype over new processors, claiming super duper speeds, yet my first pc with a pentium 4 started just as quickly as my core i7 12th gen does! Why? Because the os was more than ten times smaller! Pc's should be blazing fast compared to older units, yet they aren't, coe they're held back by the biggest bottleneck there is, the os!
Not to argue too much, but note that since the launch of Windows 98 both, computers (hardware) and programs ran on them (software) have evolved. Lot of features have been added. Maybe there are lot of people (users) who are not using many of these new features, but everyone need different parts of it. Accordingly the operating system got lof things which we're not using (besides the ones we're using). But beside these, there also are some features which any of us is using and liking. You can get rid of many (even if not all) of the not-needed features and can keep the needed ones. Just for comparison, just check how Android for instance, has evolved in the last years.
We can hate Windows, but we all are using it. So...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: May 9th, 2023, 3:36 pm We can hate Windows, but we all are using it. So...
I don't think it's about hating Windows, but hating the additional crapware that's bundled with it (and this is true for other software that you install on top of Windows). The latter is not evolution, it's involution. Android, even though it seems to fare better in that regard because the storage capacity is (usually) lower, is guilty of the same thing. Recently I had to reset my phone to the factory settings because during the time I used it a lot of (hidden, i.e. that I couldn't get rid of otherwise) crapware accumulated, giving me errors related to space availability. It's the same with Windows, from the temporary files that rarely or never get deleted, to a bunch of other leftovers from installing other things, to things that are there - and persist being there - without the user needing them and working against the user right from the start (various "critical" services, lots of "apps" nobody uses, telemetry, you name it). Earlier Windows versions were incomparably cleaner in that regard - that was the whole point.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

People only use it cos it's there. If it wasn't they'd look for something they needed. An OS doesn't need to include every conceivable piece of software, we don't need convincing that we need windows, there's little choice. Essentially, you choose Windows, Apple or Linux for your PC needs. Linux is pretty out there even for me, I've tried, and it's just not worth the hassle. I hate Apple, mainly due to their closed system, which leaves Windows.

Yes you can delete all the apps, but every major update reinstalls them. They aren't the real problem though. The real problem is all the under the hood stuff like services, things that are hard to know if you need it or not, if it'll break windows or not.

Look at DAW's, MuLab is 33MB download, Reaper 15MB, but Ableton, Cubase, Reason, and all the big ones are several hundred, if not GB's just to download. Yet really, what major things do these add to the workflow, the functionality? Take all the synths, fx, unused junk, samples and audio out of the packages and your left with a much smaller installation! No different with an OS. Trouble with our society is that we run on 'progress' ie, that which makes money, sad but true, if it doesn't sell, it dies, doesn't matter how good it is.

One day they might learn how to write a real OS that serves people and not the company that makes it. After all, everthing that is manufactured is there for one purpose, to self serve, if it wasn't it wouldn't survive. Roll on ReactOS! ;-)
- MuLab -