It is currently April 24th, 2024, 5:25 am

NowPlaying stopped working.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
sl23

NowPlaying stopped working.

Post by sl23 »

Sorry, wasn't sure where best to post this...

I've just updated foobar2000 to v2 x64, which now requires x64 plugins. This means that the CAD and NowPlaying plugins no longer work. Is there likely to be an update to the NowPlaying Plugin/Measure to allow it to work with the new version of foobar?

I have found the MediaPlayer Plugin on the forum, but it doesn't allow artwork to be displayed. Will Rainmeter ever have this ability embedded? This Plugin however, doesn't seem to work using the bang for RightMouseUpAction=[!CommandMeasure mPlayer "ClosePlayer"]

Also, the skins no longer show any track info, regardless whether I use NowPlaying or MediaInfo. The foo_cad_plugin only supports 32bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
- MuLab -
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: NowPlaying stopped working.

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 2:07 pmAny ideas?
The amazing...
ultrablazing...
extrafazing...
Winamp?! 8-)
You know the saying... if the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain. :confused:
Joking aside, I understand evolution in both biology and software and its inherent advantages, but sometimes I have the feeling that this upgrading is done for the sake of it and not for the benefits. What I'm saying is, this is more or less similar to how we scrape sites for stuff: at one point or another in the future, that will change and the scraping method or source will have to change as well. It's a neverending race to be "compatible" with things whose evolution is not directly tied to becoming better - it could be to fix bugs that shouldn't be there to begin with, to awe users with a new thing that isn't synonym to a better one, to make use of technologies that bring more of a theoretical and less of a practical benefit, or just because the flock of other software is doing so. Some software can afford it, some have problems in keeping up with the rhythm - and in the meantime, things are pushed "forward" not because it gives something that wasn't there in one form or another, but because it is the norm.
Anyway, that's just my (harsh and direct, as always) personal opinion, feel free to disregard it. In this case, as you already noticed, there isn't a "complete" audio player plugin, NowPlaying, MediaPlayer, WebNowPlaying all have something that they "miss" (well, it probably isn't entirely their fault, it's the software they have to be compatible with too). It would be nice to have a "merge" of these and take what works from each of them to build a complete solution, but even then, that would require knowledge of all of them and won't be "protected" from other upgrades of the dependencies software in the future. In the meantime, me, I'm stable on a perfect software that worked ages ago and works decades after without any issue. Yes, perfection exists, there are other software that were designed as they should to such an extent that there is basically no need for a newer version, other than some polishing of an already exceptional program.

P.S. The best place where this could have been put in is in the Bugs And Feature Suggestions section, IMHO, since it's related to Rainmeter development. It's perfectly fine if you posted it here, just answering your question about it.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

:rolmfao:
Love it! and so right too!

I thought WinAmp was long dead?!
I just like the functions and minimalist look of foobar. It's features have kept me with it for so long. But I may have to look into WinAmp now! :oops: :thumbup:
- MuLab -
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 5:17 pmI thought WinAmp was long dead?!
See? That was the thing I was talking about. Just because a program as pefect as this isn't being "regularly updated" to satisfy (and trick) the user into believing it's becomming better, folks believe it's dead or don't even consider it. It's like you don't get news from your uncle in Brazil or whatever and you mistakenly think he's dead or in trouble, while he could have the time of his life at the beach listening to salsa... di Janeiro. :lol:

Yes, Winamp development is more or less in a slow motion, focusing on maintenance mode, but as I said, what can you improve in a program already made perfect from the start? I mean, I'm still using a 5.8 BETA (!!) version and it's way better than "stable" and "newer" versions of other software... :confused:
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Well, going by that, I may as well stick with foobar v1.6.16! :D
- MuLab -
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 6:13 pm Well, going by that, I may as well stick with foobar v1.6.16! :D
So why don't you? Afraid of what others might think of you for sticking with something that works? :sly:

Don't know about foobar or others, but certainly my Winamp doesn't look old and outdated to me (I didn't even need to make my audio and player mini skins seen to its upside since it had those effects already in it, via visualisations and whatnot, only made them to complete my suite):
Winamp.jpg
Yeah, I don't care about cover art at all, but they can be shown as well, albeit by using a different Winamp "skin". Not saying you should use Winamp, that was just a way to put it above, I'm just proving the concept, so to speak:
“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.” - Henry Ford
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 2:07 pm I've just updated foobar2000 to v2 x64, which now requires x64 plugins. This means that the CAD and NowPlaying plugins no longer work. Is there likely to be an update to the NowPlaying Plugin/Measure to allow it to work with the new version of foobar?
Besides your discussion with Yincognito, note that even if it was once, NowPlaying is no longer a plugin and as such there can't be an update of it. Any update is or will be included into Rainmeter update. Keeping Rainmeter updated ensures you that the NowPlaying measure are also up to date.
also note that the PlayerName=CAD option is used for more players (namely for foobar2000, J. River Media Center and Media Jukebox and MusicBee). However for using foobar2000, you have to have the foo_cad plugin installed as well. See the link under the foobar2000 point of this. Do you have it installed?
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Forgive me, but you have a knack for stating the obvious balala! :lol:

Although, once I installed the new foobar, Rainmeter wouldn't open, close, or bring window into focus. It no longer showed any track info, cover art and all controls stopped working for play, pause, back and next track. Everything stopped working. Why? This is what I don't understand,if that cad plugin is solely for the artwork, which is what everything seems to point to. Yes the cad plugin is installed, but it is disabled as it is 32bit and foobar is now 64bit.

Funny thing is, that when foobar was first updated, I'm sure the update installed the 32bit version and that's when everything stopped working. So perhaps this is a foobar issue?
- MuLab -
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:46 pm Yes the cad plugin is installed, but it is disabled as it is 32bit and foobar is now 64bit.
I think this explains everything. From the beginning I have to say I'm not using foobar, so am not entirely sure and can't check out, however this seems to be the explanation why it doesn't work, I think. Try installing the correct version of the plugin and enabling it.
sl23 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:46 pm So perhaps this is a foobar issue?
Why would be? If you have the not-proper software installed, how could it work?
sl23

Post by sl23 »

The cad plugin is purely for showing artwork, isn't it? Or does it do more than that?

I don't understand how now playing says it fully supports foobar, yet you need a plugin. If you need a plugin, it stands to reason it doesn't support it, the plugin does. The plugin is called cad, which, from what I've seen, stands for cover art display. So isn't it just for that? :confused:

There isn't a 64bit version of cad or cad plus plugin, that's why I'm here asking about this issue, trying to find any way around it. ;-)
- MuLab -