It is currently April 26th, 2024, 1:21 pm

NowPlaying stopped working.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: NowPlaying stopped working.

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: May 6th, 2023, 6:02 am Are you sure? Because this is extremely weird. To work the 32-bit version, but not to work its 64-bit, it's something I can't imagine (yep, my imagination might be limited). Might be, but it's definitely weird, in my opinion.
But additionally sl23 said there is no 64-bit version of the required plugin:

So finally is or isn't such a version (didn't check however, especially that I can't test either)?
Yes, I'm sure. The "foo_cad plugin" mentioned in the manual here (aka the "foo_cad_plus-1.3.3.fb2k-component" file, that can be "imported" in foobar as a plugin for it, since it's basically a ".zip" with the ".fb2k-component" extension) contains only a 32bit DLL, so that plugin was released only as a 32bit one. This is why it doesn't work with the 64bit version of foobar (like sl23 tried), but it does work with the 32bit version of foobar (like I tried). ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: May 6th, 2023, 9:48 amI seem to have solved the issue, who knows what caused it though!
I wanted to tell you this earlier, but didn't so as to not sound too harsh. I cannot for the life of me understand why people insist in letting the software update itself instead of making a backup of things of interest, uninstall old version, then install the new one manually. The former is a recipe for disaster, just look at MS and others, while the latter is approaching things in a clean way. The (tragically) funny thing is that the former approach continues to be recommended by so called "experts", and then users wonder why their systems are such a mess as a result. I'm not against the updating idea itself, I'm just baffled about how messy it can get and still people believe it's a good thing. I NEVER had a problem while doing a clean install of something (assuming that something was a coherent software in the first place, of course).
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Yeah, I understand what you mean, I'm a bit anal when it comes to keeping things clean, but when you have around 200 apps, it's hard to do that! I used to spend a lot of time updating software, so use things like PortableApps.com menu and SyMenu now. The vast majority of apps are fine, it's just the odd occasion, such as this, where it gets problematic.

The real problem is caused by developers, without meaning to antagonise anyone, most don't seem to take things like this into account. For example, look at MuLab's folder structure... It's clean cut. Two folders, one called App, one called User. Simple. But then look at other apps like Paint.Net, I mean, WTF is going on there? Why don't they put all app related files in a folder? As I recently read, most portable app users are power users. I wouldn't say I'm a power user, but definitely more than half way there! :D

This is why app folders get 'dirty' and problems arise. Try finding the settings in apps like this! It's ok doing a clean install when settings aren't that important, which in Pdn, aren't really. Try figuring out what needs backing up before a clean update of RetroArch, RPCS3, or SynWrite! Though SW got easier and is now obsolete as it's been replaced by CudaText, but it illustrates a point. The update process should be made simpler by those who create the programs.

I mean, would you release a skin and scatter files everywhere in different folders? So when it comes to updating, users have to scour their system in case they lose something important! I very much doubt you are that way inclined, judging by our past communications. But you see my point hopefully? I know, it'll never change, but I can moan about it if I want, long as it's brief anyway! :p :lol:
- MuLab -
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:36 pmI mean, would you release a skin and scatter files everywhere in different folders? So when it comes to updating, users have to scour their system in case they lose something important! I very much doubt you are that way inclined, judging by our past communications. But you see my point hopefully? I know, it'll never change, but I can moan about it if I want, long as it's brief anyway! :p :lol:
Yep, I get the idea, and I agree. Unfortunately, gone are those DOS days when every program sticked to its own folder and would have run blazingly fast on modern machines (I did a test once with Win 98 on a contemporary PC and couldn't keep up with its speed, for real). Now, everything is interconnected and as a consequence, a mess can happen.

That being said, you only need to save / backup your settings and projects on another partition for a program. I do this all the time for everything I install to keep, so when I clean install a newer version, it's only about copying back the said projects (if necessary) and import my previously saved settings and everything is just as I left it, only newer. Sure, doing this for everything at once takes a while, but once you have the system in place, only the few other sofware you might install need to be included. It's like a library of books: ordering the entire library takes time, but once you've ordered it, it's no big deal to put a new book you bought in the right place to match that order. ;-)
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Hmm, not convinced! :uhuh:
I think I've gotten attached to my portable setup, I find it easier to keep it backed up the way I have it. Not every app allows you to designate a folder where the settings are stored. In which case you have to manually copy every apps settings and data folders to the backup location. I suppose you find ways around that using backup software, but I don't trust that software to work as intended. I just mirror copy my Portable installation folder, done. New windows install? Doesn't affect my apps at all. New PC, just copy the Portable installation straight to D: done, ready to use. We all think we have the best setup though eh?! I know, but mine is better! :p :rofl:
- MuLab -
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:58 am Yes, I'm sure. The "foo_cad plugin" mentioned in the manual here (aka the "foo_cad_plus-1.3.3.fb2k-component" file, that can be "imported" in foobar as a plugin for it, since it's basically a ".zip" with the ".fb2k-component" extension) contains only a 32bit DLL, so that plugin was released only as a 32bit one. This is why it doesn't work with the 64bit version of foobar (like sl23 tried), but it does work with the 32bit version of foobar (like I tried). ;-)
:Whistle I believe you, since as said, I'm not using foobar, so can't check, however this is weird. :o
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: May 6th, 2023, 6:33 pm :Whistle I believe you, since as said, I'm not using foobar, so can't check, however this is weird. :o
If this is weird, does it mean the plugin "sucks and it's completely useless"? :???: :D :sly: ...cause it's exactly the same situation, only in reverse. Not to mention this is more or less what the OP was saying (well, he worded it differently, but you get the idea). Anyway, was just exploring the wonders of a deja vu and trying to get the most out of you, for a friendly bit of fun - it's interesting how the opinion on something is influenced by how much one is affected by it, and I'd probably do the same. ;-)

Apart from that, I'm curious if the lack of a 32bit version (like in the linked post) or a 64bit version (like in this case) is because of various approaches in these plugins are architecture dependent, or simply because of harmless omission by the plugin developers. Looks like the latter in this case, since, after all, foobar appears to have been only 32bit until the present 2.0 version. This would in fact "unweird" this instance - I mean, why release a 64bit version of a plugin for a software if the said software was still only 32bit till 9 days ago, right? :confused:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: May 6th, 2023, 7:37 pm I mean, why release a 64bit version of a plugin for a software if the said software was still only 32bit till 9 days ago, right? :confused:
Yep, but if this is the case, maybe the 64-bit version of the plugin will be released soon. Just guessing...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: May 6th, 2023, 8:13 pm Yep, but if this is the case, maybe the 64-bit version of the plugin will be released soon. Just guessing...
Possibly, I don't know. Depends on whether the developer is aware of the new version, if the different architecture needs adjustments to the code for various reasons, if he has time for it, etc. I suppose we will have to wait and see. Hopefully it will be a satisfactory development for all parties involved.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

balala wrote: May 6th, 2023, 8:13 pm Yep, but if this is the case, maybe the 64-bit version of the plugin will be released soon. Just guessing...
from what I saw on the cad plus github page, the dev seems to be fairly active and the last update wasn't that long ago, so hopefully this will get updated within the next year at most I would say. That's what I like to think anyway!

I'll stick with the 32bit version until then. There is one other plugin I want updated, nothing to do with Rainmeter, just a spectrum analyser. There is a 64bit one, but the one I currently have looks better I think.
- MuLab -