It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:17 pm

Rainmeter does not install, and when it installs, it is immediately deleted.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Terak_

Rainmeter does not install, and when it installs, it is immediately deleted.

Post by Terak_ »

Hello, I've recently been trying to install Rainmeter on my machine, however, when I try to use the installer, it gives an error message: "Rainmeter Portable must be installed in a location with full access to create and edit files as a regular user.
If you want to install Rainmeter on '', go back and select 'Standard Installation.'
Or look for another place with full access to creating and editing
Files.", however, the selected installation mode was already the default, and when I put the portable mode on, the program is downloaded normally and then instantly deleted from the system, without me doing anything. I've tried to install old versions, run as administrator (even though the computer's ADM account) and running in compatibility mode, but nothing solves the problem, can you help me?

PS: Im using windows 10
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter does not install, and when it installs, it is immediately deleted.

Post by eclectic-tech »

You may want to do a Clean Uninstall: https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/clean-rainmeter-uninstall/.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter does not install, and when it installs, it is immediately deleted.

Post by balala »

Terak_ wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 11:21 pm Hello, I've recently been trying to install Rainmeter on my machine, however, when I try to use the installer, it gives an error message: "Rainmeter Portable must be installed in a location with full access to create and edit files as a regular user.
If you want to install Rainmeter on '', go back and select 'Standard Installation.'
Or look for another place with full access to creating and editing
Files.", however, the selected installation mode was already the default, and when I put the portable mode on, the program is downloaded normally and then instantly deleted from the system, without me doing anything. I've tried to install old versions, run as administrator (even though the computer's ADM account) and running in compatibility mode, but nothing solves the problem, can you help me?
Try the Clean Uninstall suggested by eclectic-tech and if doesn't help, try installing Rainmeter to another location, on another drive. I assume you hace no full access to the location where you tried install Rainmeter, even if it the default location, this is why I say for first you should try installing it to another path.
MikeG621

Post by MikeG621 »

The instant delete suggests it could be an overzealous security package on your machine (software, group policy, etc), which could also explain the "no permissions" if there's an extra layer of security that even your admin account can't get around.
Schallzin

Post by Schallzin »

MikeG621 wrote: March 6th, 2023, 2:06 pm The instant delete suggests it could be an overzealous security package on your machine (software, group policy, etc), which could also explain the "no permissions" if there's an extra layer of security that even your admin account can't get around.
Could you give a suggestion of what additional security this could be? I'm having the same problem. I've tried installing it on two different drives, in different locations, but when I open it, it immediately freezes and closes again. The only place I can't install it is on the disk where Windows is installed in the Program Files folder. When I create a folder there with the name "rainmeter," it is automatically deleted even without any files inside. I can create folders with other names, but when I install it in those folders, the installation goes smoothly. However, when I open it, it closes within a second, as if something is forcing it to shut down.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Schallzin wrote: July 14th, 2023, 5:00 pm Could you give a suggestion of what additional security this could be? I'm having the same problem. I've tried installing it on two different drives, in different locations, but when I open it, it immediately freezes and closes again. The only place I can't install it is on the disk where Windows is installed in the Program Files folder. When I create a folder there with the name "rainmeter," it is automatically deleted even without any files inside. I can create folders with other names, but when I install it in those folders, the installation goes smoothly. However, when I open it, it closes within a second, as if something is forcing it to shut down.
The "Program Files" folder is protected, so you can't put files there, only Windows can. Something seems to be interfering, the errors you report are very abnormal. You should at least be able to create a portable install (which allows you to install it anywhere you want), but if you do, you will need to tell Rainmeter where to find your skins. Open the Rainmeter.ini file in your %APPDATA%\Rainmeter folder, and add/change the value:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
SkinPath=X:\Path\To\Your\Rainmeter\Skins\
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Schallzin wrote: July 14th, 2023, 5:00 pm Could you give a suggestion of what additional security this could be? I'm having the same problem. I've tried installing it on two different drives, in different locations, but when I open it, it immediately freezes and closes again. The only place I can't install it is on the disk where Windows is installed in the Program Files folder. When I create a folder there with the name "rainmeter," it is automatically deleted even without any files inside. I can create folders with other names, but when I install it in those folders, the installation goes smoothly. However, when I open it, it closes within a second, as if something is forcing it to shut down.
Literally everything is overzealous security these days, partly because generally the threats can also be in all kinds of places and partly because who builds them are seriously shortsighted (and I'm being gentle here). From UAC to Windows group policy, to Windows sometimes not allowing even the human administrator account to do certain things, to folder security, permissions and ownership, to various 3rd party AVs that detect both legit (e.g. AutoIt) and illegit software (e.g. cracks) as threats just because they're new files, their signature resembles actual threats or the law forces them to do so to combat piracy, to internet standards and CORS that don't allow one to build a harmless local webpage unless it's done the "right way" to involve dozens of other needless parasite tools that pack things up, to countless updates for all kinds of improbable security reasons, and so on. It's a big mess and the tragically funny thing is that folks are brainwashed to believe this is a good approach, IMHO, but anyway...

In your case, I could be wrong but it seems like an AV or some other security stuff that is set to run at Windows startup and run at all times placed either the Rainmeter folder, executable, or both under quarantine (either legitimately if you're already infected with a threat, or incorrectly if you downloaded Rainmeter from the official source which is clean). If so, you could check that AV settings and make sure there's no leftover setting that places Rainmeter in such a state for no reason.

This is not the only possibility, it could be some other irregularity related to Windows itself or even your drive. It could be another tool that causes this as well, not necessarily a security one. It could have been some strange bug or related to your drivers, but that possibility doesn't involve deleting a folder based on its name, so it's less likely. Hard to tell exactly if we're not able to replicate it. Personally, I never had a problem with installing and running Rainmeter on my Windows 10.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: July 14th, 2023, 6:35 pm The "Program Files" folder is protected, so you can't put files there, only Windows can.
Generally, yes, however, it can be unprotected...
Program Files - Manual Writing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Schallzin wrote: July 14th, 2023, 5:00 pm The only place I can't install it is on the disk where Windows is installed in the Program Files folder. When I create a folder there with the name "rainmeter," it is automatically deleted even without any files inside. I can create folders with other names, but when I install it in those folders, the installation goes smoothly.
Let's see if we understood properly: if you create a folder called rainmeter into Program Files, you get it deleted immediately, but if you create in the same way a folder having any other name, it is kept. Is this correct?
Schallzin

Post by Schallzin »

balala wrote: July 14th, 2023, 6:56 pm Let's see if we understood properly: if you create a folder called rainmeter into Program Files, you get it deleted immediately, but if you create in the same way a folder having any other name, it is kept. Is this correct?
Correct, when I create it in other locations, it's fine, it stays there, and I can install it successfully. However, when I open it for the first time, it opens and closes within 1 second. When I try again, the same thing happens.