It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 12:27 am

Negative number problem

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
smurfier

Negative number problem

Post by smurfier »

After about half an hours frustration I found a small problem with negative numbers. In the math world when you add a negative number to a positive number, it is the same as subtracting the positive form of that number. However, in Rainmeter all you get is a broken formula, even if it's used in a conditional statement.
There is a somewhat easy workaround:

Add a negative
#Var1#<0?#Var2#-ABS(#Var1#):Var2#+ABS(#Var1#)

Subtract a negative
#Var1#<0?#Var2#+ABS(#Var1#):Var2#-ABS(#Var1#)
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
dragonmage
Developer

Re: Negative number problem

Post by dragonmage »

And I thought I just didn't know how to write the formula... I came up with a similar solution.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

There's no problem with the math in Rainmeter. Because it's a variable though, what happens is that #Var# gets replaced with the value as though it were actually there. So, if you have Formula=1+#VAR# and the value of #VAR# is -3, then while you think you would get -2 as an answer, the formula actually becomes Formula=1+-3. Rainmeter doesn't know how to deal with the "+-", so the formula fails. To avoid this, just surround your variable names with parenthesis. Formula=1+(#VAR#) should work every time. No need for conditionals.
ImageImageImageImage
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

Nice...I'll have to try that. Will make things a lot easier.

I was actually wondering how things were handled especially when figured out the difference between negative and minus.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .