It is currently April 26th, 2024, 10:26 am

[Solved:] A _simple_ weather skin, that works well for the U.K, or else a decent tutorial?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jn_meter

[Solved:] A _simple_ weather skin, that works well for the U.K, or else a decent tutorial?

Post by jn_meter »

Hi all

I'd like a simple, efficient skin that pulls in a few bits of weather data from fairly new me and displays that data. I am in the UK. I have a weather station fairly near me. The data I'm after comprises current temperature and perhaps current pollen count or at least any pollen alerts.

I am having trouble finding such a skin, though admittedly I have not tried that hard.

In the absence of a pre-existing skin that more or less fits the bill, I'd appreciate a tutorial (or a link to one) that tells me how to pull in the relevant data myself. (As to displaying that data, I can work that out for myself.)

Thanks!
Last edited by jn_meter on February 12th, 2023, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: A _simple_ weather skin, that works well for the U.K, or else a decent tutorial?

Post by SilverAzide »

Have you searched DeviantArt and the Weather skin forum here for skins? User Xenium has a tons of really well done skins that vary from simple to very fancy. You can find all his stuff on his DA here: https://www.deviantart.com/xenium-art/gallery/all. I don't mean to pick on Xenium over anyone else, but he keeps his skins updated regularly, so you can be pretty sure they actually work.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jn_meter

Re: A _simple_ weather skin, that works well for the U.K, or else a decent tutorial?

Post by jn_meter »

@SilverAzide

Thanks for the reply. I did look at this list of skins but, even have confined myself to the one that were marked on that page as in a working state, I was overwhelmed. But the list of Xenium's skins is, by dint of its screenshots, not so overwhelming - so I am having a look. Note for others: to see a download option on 'DeviantArt', one needs to have logged into that site.

I can add now that I'm finding the 'Tiny Weather Animated' skin, by Xexium and available on DeviantArt, to be close to what I need. It even has a nice-ish settings UI (which I reached by right-clicking the skin and selecting TinyWeather Api -> Settings. However, the UI seems to offer no way to disable the animation; I suppose I'll have to hack the skin for that (and/but why would anyone want a constant, distracting animation on their desktop? But, yes, I did install a skin that has 'animated' in its title . .).
xenium

Post by xenium »

jn_meter wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:21 am
If you want a simple skin without animation, try Weather Desk
jn_meter

Post by jn_meter »

xenium: great stuff - thank you!
xenium

Post by xenium »

jn_meter wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:50 am xenium: great stuff - thank you!
You're welcome!
jn_meter

Post by jn_meter »

But, xenium, a question, if I may: what does the --- mean, in the image below? I see no errors reported in Rainmeter.

SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jn_meter wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:09 pm But, xenium, a question, if I may: what does the --- mean, in the image below? I see no errors reported in Rainmeter.

That means the data is missing, and is a known behavior of weather.com (TWC). TWC supplies their forecast in two parts, the day forecast and the night forecast. At some point, it becomes "night" and when that happens, all the "day" values become blank. There are ways for skin authors to address this, but the answer to your question is that weather.com has stopped supplying that data value for the remainder of the day since it no longer is applicable.

P.S.: In case you are wondering, TWC data transitions from "day" to "night" at approximately 4PM or so, depending on your location. It does not matter what time the sun actually sets.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jn_meter

Post by jn_meter »

Dear SilverAzide

Thank you. I fear I do not entirely understand - and it seems to me that the skin would do well, at least as an option, to print nothing at all rather than ---. Still, I can live with it.
xenium

Post by xenium »

jn_meter wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:50 pm Dear SilverAzide

Thank you. I fear I do not entirely understand - and it seems to me that the skin would do well, at least as an option, to print nothing at all rather than ---. Still, I can live with it.
This is what the weather information looks like on the weather.com website when the "day" values are no longer available:
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.