It is currently April 25th, 2024, 4:58 am

Windows Subsystem for Android/Linux kills WebParser

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Windows Subsystem for Android/Linux kills WebParser

Post by SilverAzide »

I'm not sure if this is fixable or not, but it appears that using Windows 11's "Windows Subsystem for Android" (WSA, or perhaps even WSL since they seem to be related), permanently kills Rainmeter's WebParser measure for all skins. The only fix I can find is to exit Rainmeter and restart it.

The scenario is this:
  • I log into windows, Rainmeter starts and is running normally and all is well. The log shows the usual enumeration of network adapters, in this case, I have 38 (NETWORK-INTERFACE: Count=38).
  • 30 seconds later after Rainmeter starts up, the log shows another network adapter enumeration. This time, it shows a count of 42. Diffing the log entries, it shows that a virtual adapter ("Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2") has changed its State/Status from "Unknown/Not Present" to "Disconnected/Down", and 4 additional virtual adapters for this adapter have been added to the list with their status all set to "Disconnected/Down".
  • Rainmeter is functioning properly at this point.
  • An Android app is launched. The WSA starts up and immediately gives me the warning shown below. Note that "this app" is referring to the Android app. Clicking Restart Subsystem relaunches the app with networking enabled.
  • Rainmeter logs another adapter enumeration, with 3 additional virtual adapters added (NETWORK-INTERFACE: Count=45). The 3 new adapters are all related to Hyper-V:

Code: Select all

Name: Hyper-V Virtual Switch Extension Adapter
    Alias: vSwitch (FSE Switch)
    GUID: {5ABDAF49-9EA7-4F64-AC4F-E2A918E4D817}
    Type=Ethernet(6), Hardware=No, Filter=No
    IfIndex=34, State=Connected, Status=Up(1)
    Oddly, the log also shows that my wireless adapter (which was not in use and was logged as "Disconnected/Down") is now shown as "Connected/Up" as are all the virtual adapters associated with it.
  • 30 seconds later (a coincidence?) Rainmeter logs another network adapter enumeration, with 6 new Hyper-V virtual adapters. There are 2 new ones (the others are related virtual interfaces):

Code: Select all

Name: Hyper-V Virtual Switch Extension Adapter #2
    Alias: vSwitch (WSL)
    GUID: {93B86952-AF66-4731-A168-E100B253D9AA}
    IfIndex=51, State=Connected, Status=Up(1)

Name: Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter
    Alias: vEthernet (WSL)
    GUID: {8A8033EA-60C2-42C8-A988-AE53C787DA81}
    IfIndex=53, State=Connected, Status=Up(1)
  • At this point, all WebParser measures begin throwing the same error:
    (Fetch error) The operation timed out (ErrorCode=12002).
    Doing a "refresh all" does not work, only restarting Rainmeter will get everything working again. Note that I can still browse the internet, etc.; only Rainmeter seems to be affected.
  • Stopping or starting WSA/WSL after this point has no effect on Rainmeter and WebParser is OK from this point on. I assume this is because the Hyper-V adapters continue to exist and remain loaded.

Perhaps this is just happening to me? Googling around I don't see anything useful about the WSA network message, and the "Learn more" is completely worthless (just takes you to a page that tells you how to do stuff you already did). Anyway, I thought I'd submit this in case others run into the issue; I don't expect this is something that can be fixed in Rainmeter.

WSA message:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...