It is currently July 27th, 2024, 6:44 am

Unable to load plugin MSIAfterburner.dll after update

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
FoxyXII

Unable to load plugin MSIAfterburner.dll after update

Post by FoxyXII »

I have a skin to show GPU temperature which was working fine, but I updated to the latest version of Rainmeter: 4.5.13.3663 (64-bit) and now I am getting the error:

Plugin: Unable to load "MSIAfterburner.dll" (error 126)

It also does not show up under the Plugins tab in About Rainmeter

I know I can still use the Afterburner app, but where's the fun in that? ;)

The skin code:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1
DefaultAlwaysOnTop=2

[Variables]
TextFont=Trebuchet MS
TextSize=10

; Setup measures ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[MeasureTemp]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=MSIAfterburner.dll
DataSource=GPU temperature

[MeasureTempMax]
Measure=Calc
Formula=(MeasureTemp / 250) * 100

; Formatting measures ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[MeterRectangle]
Meter=Image
W=120
H=18
SolidColor=0, 0, 0, 180

[MeterText]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureTemp
X=8
W=110
FontFace=#TextFont#
StringStyle=Bold
AntiAlias=1
FontSize=#TextSize#
FontColor=255,255,255
Text="GPU Temp: %1°C"
DynamicVariables=1
Image of the error

SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Unable to load plugin MSIAfterburner.dll after update

Post by SilverAzide »

This error usually indicates a missing dependency for the plug-in. It's nothing to do with your skin, or Rainmeter. I don't know what that MSIAfterburner.dll requires, but most plugins that throw this error need either the Visual C++ runtime DLLs or the .NET Framework.

You can get these here: Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Latest Supported Downloads. The Afterburner plugin is old, so you might need to install one of the older runtimes if the latest doesn't work.

Also, make sure you have the latest .NET Framework installed; that is another dependency. You can get that here: Download .NET Framework 4.8.1. Versions are backward compatible, so if you have the latest, it should work with apps that use older versions.

Finally, before you install anything, try a reboot (or uninstall, reboot, install). Sometimes it can help.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
FoxyXII

Re: Unable to load plugin MSIAfterburner.dll after update

Post by FoxyXII »

Thank you for your reply.

If I'd thought about it sooner, I would've rolled back to a previous version of Rainmeter and that would've shown me it had nothing to do with Rainmeter or the skin. It also would've saved me asking a stupid question!

Anyway, just for reference, first I updated the .NET Framework as I had version 4.6.2. Restarted and the skin started working. I guess another quirk of Windows. Lol. But weird that it says that version 4.6.2 is still installed, but the 4.8.1 installer says it's already installed. A bit weird, but everything is ticking along nicely so I'm not going to start fiddling with things now. :D

Thanks again for your suggestions. I do normally do a lot more research, but I think my brain was switched off earelier.