It is currently April 26th, 2024, 9:12 pm

Word Spacing To Achieve Straight Column Edges On Each Side

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
nesherman

Word Spacing To Achieve Straight Column Edges On Each Side

Post by nesherman »

(EDIT) Suggestion submitted here https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=40295

Is it possible at all to set a body of text to be in full justification/alignment so that there are straight edges on both left and right?

Example here on the far right:

Last edited by nesherman on March 25th, 2022, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Word Spacing To Achieve Straight Column Edges On Each Side

Post by balala »

nesherman wrote: March 24th, 2022, 3:58 pm Is it possible at all to set a body of text to be in full justification/alignment so that there are straight edges on both left and right?
No, unfortunately I think this is not possible in Rainmeter. But Rainmeter isn't even meant to show extremely long texts.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

As balala said, unfortunately this is not possible in Rainmeter, though it would be an excellent feature to have. One could manually simulate justification by replacing normal spaces in the string with Unicode spaces of suitable widths (I've done that on a limited fashion), or using monospaced fonts and add spaces where you see fit, but doing that for any possible scenario would be extremely effort and time consuming, thus unfeasible.

In a limited fashion though, for a fixed font and relatively fixed and shorter string, this is definitely possible, though you'd have to do it on a trial and error basis.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 24th, 2022, 7:58 pm As balala said, unfortunately this is not possible in Rainmeter,
O.O :o What? Not possible? How so? :o O.O

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 24th, 2022, 8:33 pm O.O :o What? Not possible? How so? :o O.O

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
No problem, I like to laugh and catch folks on the wrong foot too. :rofl:

However, if we're being pedantic and all, you'll notice that there is a nuance there in my post. What I meant there is that it isn't possible in an automatic way, in a built-in option, but like explained, is entirely possible if one is willing to make the effort and the scenario is favorable. ;-)

But ok, I'll be generous and admit that you catched me saying the unthinkable. Nice catch, by the way - loved it. :D
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 24th, 2022, 9:17 pm No problem, I like to laugh and catch folks on the wrong foot too. :rofl:

However, if we're being pedantic and all, you'll notice that there is a nuance there in my post. What I meant there is that it isn't possible in an automatic way, in a built-in option, but like explained, is entirely possible if one is willing to make the effort and the scenario is favorable. ;-)

But ok, I'll be generous and admit that you catched me saying the unthinkable. Nice catch, by the way - loved it. :D
nesherman

Post by nesherman »

Yincognito wrote: March 24th, 2022, 7:58 pm As balala said, unfortunately this is not possible in Rainmeter, though it would be an excellent feature to have.
Is this to say that it would be impossible to add sometime in the future?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 24th, 2022, 9:24 pm
Now that I think about it, maybe it could be made (semi) automatic using either Lua or the inline character spacing...
Adjusting that based on font might be tricky, but theoretically it could be done. Hmmm ... I'll have to think about it. :???:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 24th, 2022, 9:41 pm Hmmm ... I'll have to think about it. :???:
Think and let me know what could you figure out.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

nesherman wrote: March 24th, 2022, 9:40 pm Is this to say that it would be impossible to add sometime in the future?
That is up for the developers to answer, but you can post such a suggestion in the Bugs & Feature Suggestion section of the forum at any time. Personally I would support it and probably many of of us would, but when it comes to technicalities regarding how Rainmeter is programmed, the developers have the last word. ;-)