It is currently April 25th, 2024, 3:24 pm

Rainmeter to showcase paid art

General topics related to Rainmeter.
shashmash

Rainmeter to showcase paid art

Post by shashmash »

Hey everyone :)
I'm an illustrator looking to open a small business. I was thinking about selling stickers in a small business, but its expensive for me to do that right now, without much of a platform.

I thought about selling digital stickers that just kinda chill on your desktop,(low priced ofcourse), and thought about using rainmeter skins for it. I haven't done any market research yet to see if this idea would be popular enough at all. I dont think anyones done this before either, rainmeter or not, so i got a lol excited.
I haven't figured out the logistics of selling it either, but I'm sure I can
But then i learned that its frowned upon to sell skins within the Rainmeter community, which is understandable.

My question is: would it be okay to use rainmeter as a platform on the desktop to sell my digital art. I will be selling the .ini files, but its just my art on those.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter to showcase paid art

Post by jsmorley »

shashmash wrote: February 21st, 2022, 5:22 pm Hey everyone :)
I'm an illustrator looking to open a small business. I was thinking about selling stickers in a small business, but its expensive for me to do that right now, without much of a platform.

I thought about selling digital stickers that just kinda chill on your desktop,(low priced ofcourse), and thought about using rainmeter skins for it. I haven't done any market research yet to see if this idea would be popular enough at all. I dont think anyones done this before either, rainmeter or not, so i got a lol excited.
But then i learned that its frowned upon to sell skins within the Rainmeter community, which is understandable.

My question is: would it be okay to use rainmeter as a platform on the desktop to sell my digital art. I will be selling the .ini files, but its just my art on those.
You may do anything you like with Rainmeter and the skins you create with it.

We won't support or allow any discussion of commercial uses on these forums, but that's just the rules of this community, nothing to do with any legalities of Rainmeter. That is open source and there are very few limitations on what you can do with it.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter to showcase paid art

Post by Yincognito »

shashmash wrote: February 21st, 2022, 5:22 pm Hey everyone :)

Maybe someone from the developing team would be more suited to answer this, but this basically covers what you talked about. As far as I understand what's written there, you can do what you described, just don't spam the said products here on the forum since the whole idea here is to do things free of charge and without advertising. What you do with those skins privately, though, it's your business (and probably can be a business, who knows).

Anyway, that's just my understanding of the concepts, maybe I'm wrong or missed something, so as I said, a developer would probably be the one to confirm or deny these things. Regarding the success of such an operation, the "outside world" would probably be your best bet regardless, with folks from the Rainmeter community being less inclined to buy such products, since similar things for free within the community would logically have more downloads than potentially paid ones.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth