It is currently April 16th, 2024, 3:57 pm

MSI Afterburner GPU monitoring gadgets broken

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
theredcelt

MSI Afterburner GPU monitoring gadgets broken

Post by theredcelt »

howdy all,

Looking for some suggestions to solve a problem with GPU monitoring gadgets - recently any skin that uses MSI Afterburner as a data source for GPU info (temperature, fan speed, load, etc) no longer fetches that info correctly, so now the gadget displays as null. This was sudden after having no issues for years.

I've deducted it's something specific to MSI Afterburner as other gadgets that use CoreTemp or HWiNFO still work correctly, but cannot for the life of me figure out the problem. No lines in any settings .ini files in skins have been changed, nor can I see anything in the settings of Afterburner itself that might affect monitoring by a third party. I redownloaded the MSIAfterburner.dll file in plugins to no avail also - even the original sample skin created for the plugin does not work.

The only changes I can think of that may have had an affect is that all around the same time I updated both Rainmeter and Afterburner to most recent versions, and installed new drivers for my GPU.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, and if any additional information is required from myself then please say so!

Cheers!
Thinkr8

Re: MSI Afterburner GPU monitoring gadgets broken

Post by Thinkr8 »

This could be the problem: when updating the Rainmeter program the MSIAfterburner.dll plug-in gets deleted. If’n you use it, you’ll need to copy it back to the Rainmeter plug-in folder as a external plug-in. External plug-ins are located at “C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins”)
Someone said, "Your thinking too much, so I thought more."
theredcelt

Post by theredcelt »

Thinkr8 wrote: February 19th, 2022, 10:16 pm This could be the problem: when updating the Rainmeter program the MSIAfterburner.dll plug-in gets deleted. If’n you use it, you’ll need to copy it back to the Rainmeter plug-in folder as a external plug-in. External plug-ins are located at “C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins”)
Thanks for the swift reply!

Strangely, there was no 'plugins' folder at that directory, so I created one and copied the .dll into it, but sadly did not work :(
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

theredcelt wrote: February 19th, 2022, 10:10 pmLooking for some suggestions to solve a problem with GPU monitoring gadgets - recently any skin that uses MSI Afterburner as a data source for GPU info (temperature, fan speed, load, etc) no longer fetches that info correctly, so now the gadget displays as null. This was sudden after having no issues for years.
I use MSI AB with Rainmeter as well, and don't have any problems with it. What Rainmeter and MSI AB version do you use? What version is the MSI AB plugin for Rainmeter? What are your OS, CPU and GPUs? Which are some skins that have this problem? Have you set Rainmeter's - and other desktop applications' that shouldn't be detected as 3D applications - Application Detection Level to None in Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS) that comes with MSI AB?

Does this simple skin work for you (be aware that the .RMSKIN file includes the plugin DLLs, so it may overwrite or superseed what you have)?

Code: Select all

[Variables]

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=47,47,47,255

---Measures---

[MSIAfterburnerGPU0Temp]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=MSIAfterburner.dll
GPU=0
SourceId=0

---Meters---

[MeterTest]
Meter=String
FontFace=Consolas
FontColor=255,255,255,255
Padding=5,5,5,5
FontSize=16
AntiAlias=1
MeasureName=MSIAfterburnerGPU0Temp
Text="GPU 0 Temperature = %1°C"
DynamicVariables=1
MSIAB GPU0 Temp_1.0.0.rmskin
MSIAB GPU0 Temp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
theredcelt

Post by theredcelt »

Yincognito wrote: February 19th, 2022, 11:41 pm I use MSI AB with Rainmeter as well, and don't have any problems with it. What Rainmeter and MSI AB version do you use? What version is the MSI AB plugin for Rainmeter? What are your OS, CPU and GPUs? Which are some skins that have this problem? Have you set Rainmeter's - and other desktop applications' that shouldn't be detected as 3D applications - Application Detection Level to None in Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS) that comes with MSI AB?

Does this simple skin work for you (be aware that the .RMSKIN file includes the plugin DLLs, so it may overwrite or superseed what you have)?
While checking the Rainmeter version I realised that what was running was actually an older version than what I had downloaded, the reason being that the update had installed files directly into my D:\ drive main directory instead of the Rainmeter folder :oops: ; I replaced all files with in the folder with the updated ones, and before that had added Rainmeter.exe to RTSS as Detection Level None, and doing one of either of these seems to have rectified the issue!

Thanks for the help!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

theredcelt wrote: February 20th, 2022, 12:38 am While checking the Rainmeter version I realised that what was running was actually an older version than what I had downloaded, the reason being that the update had installed files directly into my D:\ drive main directory instead of the Rainmeter folder :oops: ; I replaced all files with in the folder with the updated ones, and before that had added Rainmeter.exe to RTSS as Detection Level None, and doing one of either of these seems to have rectified the issue!

Thanks for the help!
No problem - glad you got it working again! :great:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth