Virtual Desktop Controls

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Virtual Desktop Controls

Post by eclectic-tech »

VD11.png
Virtual Desktop 11

Thanks to the work to create a Rainmeter VirtualDesktop Plugin by Adam Gates, skin with more options can be created to interact with virtual desktops for Windows 10 & 11.

Virtual Desktop 11 is my collection of desktop control skins with different button styles
They use Shape meters or Icon fonts as desktop indicators that fits nicely near or over taskbar area
Quickly navigate and control virtual desktops using your mouse
Optionally, you can create Rainmeter Layouts to show unique skins and/or wallpapers on each virtual desktop *

Features:
Control up to 10 desktops (more meters can be added)
Resize for any resolution
Scroll Up/Down or Left click to select desktop
Middle click any desktop indicator for 'Desktops OverView' * *
Middle click background for 'All Tasks' view * *
Create new shapes or select other Icon Fonts as desktop indicators

Context Menu:
Add/Del desktops
Desktop Overview
All Tasks View
Optional desktop name display
Optional tooltips
Optional colorable shaded background
Character Map (Fonts)
Edit Variables
More actions >>

*NOTE:
Creating Separate Virtual Desktop Rainmeter Layouts (Blank layouts: Desktop5 ~ Desktop10, are not included with this skin)
Using saved Rainmeter Layouts with wallpapers may cause issues; consider saving with 'no wallpaper' and 'Exclude unloaded skins'.
Desktops must be named numerically as Desktop1, Desktop2, etc.
You have to include the 'layout' style skin from this package in each layout.
DO NOT have the Manage dialog open while creating a new layout
DO NOT click the 'layout' style skin from this package.
Arrange all desired skins, then open Manage and save the layout with the desired desktop name; e.g. 'Desktop1', 'Desktop2'.

* * AutoHotKey Scripts
Compiled scripts and the code are included in '@Resources\Actions' folder
You should not need to install AHK (link is below if needed)

Comments welcomed :welcome:

Credits:
VirtualDesktop Plugin by Adam Gates
FontAwesome 5
Segoe MDL Assets Icons by Microsoft
WebDings Font by Microsoft
AutoHotKey

History
V 1.2022.12.07 Removed Z-positioning bang (use skin context menu 'Position' to control this)
V 1.2022.10.18 (Thanks for the previous 130 downloads :thumbup: )
- Corrected desktop character click so it correctly changed desktop layout.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mortanauta

Re: Virtual Desktop Controls

Post by mortanauta »

Nice pluging, the problem is the overview make the only possible put in the taskbar, other way is over your web, Excel, etc. It would be nice to be able to remain in desktop and don't appear in fullscreen.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

mortanauta wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:30 pm Nice pluging, the problem is the overview make the only possible put in the taskbar, other way is over your web, Excel, etc. It would be nice to be able to remain in desktop and don't appear in fullscreen.
The skin has an OnRefreshAction that set the Z position when loaded. I set mine to TopMost (2), but you can change it, or eliminate it.

Open the skin in a text editor and changing the value of the OnRefreshAction in the [Rainmeter] section.
Here is what you will see:

Code: Select all

; To use above the taskbar set z-position to '2'
; For desktop use I recommend setting z-position to '1' or '0'
OnRefreshAction=[!ZPos 2]
Or add a semicolon: ; OnRefeshAction=[!ZPos 2]
And you can control the position from the skin's 'Settings' menu.

Save the file and refresh the skin.

EDIT: I am removing the action bang that sets the Z-position from all of these skins. That lets the 'Settings, Position' option in the context menu control the skin's position on the screen.
mortanauta

Post by mortanauta »

Many thanks, it works perfect now.

I want integrate you pluging inside another one that is a clock in the desktop, so Topmost didn't fit well. I've tried using Rainmeter configuration but it dind´t work so i was little frustrated. :oops:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

mortanauta wrote: December 24th, 2022, 4:36 pm Many thanks, it works perfect now.

I want integrate you pluging inside another one that is a clock in the desktop, so Topmost didn't fit well. I've tried using Rainmeter configuration but it dind´t work so i was little frustrated. :oops:
Thanks for making me aware that I should leave the ZPos settings option as an end user's choice.
That is something I should have done from the start! :Whistle
Glad you have it working. :great:

Happy Holidays!
DFrosty

Post by DFrosty »

Hello, I just installed RM so i'm a newbie with its mechanics and stuff, but i would really like to make your skin work for me. Can you please help me XD what should i do after installing the skin file ?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

DFrosty wrote: July 20th, 2023, 2:25 am Hello, I just installed RM so i'm a newbie with its mechanics and stuff, but i would really like to make your skin work for me. Can you please help me XD what should i do after installing the skin file ?
Sorry for the late reply...

There are 14 virtual desktop variants included in this package and you can use any of them to navigate your desktops.
To use the 4 small circles (as shown in the preview) load 'VirtualDesktop11/Shapes/Circles.ini" from the Manage dialog.
vd11circles.png
Once you are familiar with the mouse interactions in that one, load one of the other variants to find the one that you are most confortable using. The variants range from a single icon, shape styles, web font styles, or multiple icons in vertical or horizontal lines.

Side note: Until you create layouts (as described in the post), loading the "Layout" variants may give strange results since not all other skin packages are installed on your system.

Hopefully this gives you a starting point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.