It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:37 pm

Adding duplicate skins

General topics related to Rainmeter.
OrionsHope

Adding duplicate skins

Post by OrionsHope »

So I've found some nice skins that I've modified to fit my system theme, links, etc. and would like to have more of the exact same skins to be modified in different ways than the first. I need to know how to do this in a way that Rainmeter won't overwrite my work after reinstall or adding yet further duplicates. I'd also be interested to know if there is an easy way to mirror a skin.
DanDaBear

Re: Adding duplicate skins

Post by DanDaBear »

You would need to have sub directories or separate folders for each copy of the skin same you want to run.
As long as the .ini files are NOT in the same folder, as Rainmeter sees this as variations of the skin and you will only be able to load one variation at a time.
Never underestimate the power of stupid! :D
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

OrionsHope wrote: January 10th, 2022, 11:27 pm So I've found some nice skins that I've modified to fit my system theme, links, etc. and would like to have more of the exact same skins to be modified in different ways than the first. I need to know how to do this in a way that Rainmeter won't overwrite my work after reinstall or adding yet further duplicates. I'd also be interested to know if there is an easy way to mirror a skin.
To be just a little bit more precise, here is what should you do:
  • Supposing the the path of your skin you'd like to multiply is Skins\MyConfig\MySkin.ini (the config term designates the folder under your Skins folder, which contains the skins .ini file, while the skin term designates the .ini file itself - in the above line the green MyConfig is the name of your config, while the red MySkin.ini is the skin).
  • Create a new folder under the Skins folder and name it as you want (for instance MySecondConfig), do the followings:
  • Copy the whole content of the MyConfig folder, to the new MySecondConfig folder.
  • Refresh Rainmeter. You can now load both instances of the skin.
  • Edit any of the above two skins as you want. After each such edirt, don't forget to refresh the edited skin.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

And just to be precise, not every skin is portable. Authors often use the skin name instead of #ROOTCONFIG# and #SKINSPATH#SkinName\ThisFolder\ThatFile instead of #ROOTCONFIGPATH#ThisFolder\ThatFile.

So, you might have to edit those bits after checking the logs.
from the Realm of Death
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

death.crafter wrote: January 11th, 2022, 11:29 am And just to be precise, not every skin is portable. Authors often use the skin name instead of #ROOTCONFIG# and #SKINSPATH#SkinName\ThisFolder\ThatFile instead of #ROOTCONFIGPATH#ThisFolder\ThatFile.

So, you might have to edit those bits after checking the logs.
Yep, right. This might be a problem when authors are not paying enough attention. However in many (most) cases we're working with the config, not with the full path of skins, but even so there might be a problem.
OrionsHope

Post by OrionsHope »

Thanks for the help but I cannot help but notice the lack of response about mirroring skins. Did you guys miss that part or is the answer relatively unknown? I'm not greedy, just needy 😁
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

OrionsHope wrote: January 13th, 2022, 5:47 pm notice the lack of response about mirroring skins. Did you guys miss that part or is the answer relatively unknown?
No, we didn't miss it, however me at least am not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "mirroring skins". What you mean?
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

OrionsHope wrote: January 13th, 2022, 5:47 pm Thanks for the help but I cannot help but notice the lack of response about mirroring skins. Did you guys miss that part or is the answer relatively unknown? I'm not greedy, just needy 😁
We did yes.

And no, there is no easy way of doing this.
from the Realm of Death
OrionsHope

Post by OrionsHope »

Simply put, let's say I have this really cool border or launcher but it is oriented to work on the left side of the screen (launcher would only open to the right). However, I need something that fits on the right side of the screen so that I have a matching set of skins, only facing/opening exactly opposite of one another. The Pog Pack comes close but they assigned different groupings to each sphere and I'd like to be able to basically create an exact copy only with a 180 degree orientation. Based on what I've seen and what you guys have already told me, I'm thinking that simply creating a copy of an existing skin in a new folder would be the simplest route but how do I get that copy to display in reverse?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

OrionsHope wrote: January 13th, 2022, 7:54 pm Simply put, let's say I have this really cool border or launcher but it is oriented to work on the left side of the screen (launcher would only open to the right). However, I need something that fits on the right side of the screen so that I have a matching set of skins, only facing/opening exactly opposite of one another. The Pog Pack comes close but they assigned different groupings to each sphere and I'd like to be able to basically create an exact copy only with a 180 degree orientation. Based on what I've seen and what you guys have already told me, I'm thinking that simply creating a copy of an existing skin in a new folder would be the simplest route but how do I get that copy to display in reverse?
Unfortunately most probably the code has to be rewritten. I assume there is no simple way to mirror it. First post a link of the incriminated skin, please, because we (me at least for sure) don't know this skin.