It is currently April 26th, 2024, 11:03 pm

user profile photo

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
campeanmihai

user profile photo

Post by campeanmihai »

hi. i am having problems with the windows photo user.
I would like that my skin shows my windows user photo.
can you help me?
thank you
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: user profile photo

Post by balala »

campeanmihai wrote: December 30th, 2021, 11:17 pm I would like that my skin shows my windows user photo.
Since there is still no reply, I'm gonna try to tell what have I figured out googling the web.
I think that picture is stored not into an image format (like .png, .jpg or whatever), but as data. If I'm right, it is in the following location: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures. In this folder you have a .accountpicture-ms file (yep, not a mistake), which stores (probably among others) the image too. Not sure how can you make it to be shown (if it can be) in a Rainmeter skin, however if you make a skin to let you click to an element linked to the above file you get a Confirm change to account picture message, which tells you that you can change your account picture. You can confirm or deny with the appropriate buttons.
Another location you could check and which should store the needed picture is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\ (just take care, ProgramData is a hidden folder). Check to see if your picture is in this folder. If it is, please let me know to can propose a procedure to make it visible (much easier in this case).
Sorry, but couldn't figure out more. Hope this helps you more or less and additionally out there might be other users who could help you more.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

balala wrote: January 1st, 2022, 4:06 pm Since there is still no reply, I'm gonna try to tell what have I figured out googling the web.
I think that picture is stored not into an image format (like .png, .jpg or whatever), but as data. If I'm right, it is in the following location: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures. In this folder you have a .accountpicture-ms file (yep, not a mistake), which stores (probably among others) the image too. Not sure how can you make it to be shown (if it can be) in a Rainmeter skin, however if you make a skin to let you click to an element linked to the above file you get a Confirm change to account picture message, which tells you that you can change your account picture. You can confirm or deny with the appropriate buttons.
Another location you could check and which should store the needed picture is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\ (just take care, ProgramData is a hidden folder). Check to see if your picture is in this folder. If it is, please let me know to can propose a procedure to make it visible (much easier in this case).
Sorry, but couldn't figure out more. Hope this helps you more or less and additionally out there might be other users who could help you more.
I would assume you have signed-in with a local account. For users signed in with a Microsoft account don't have that file, or that folder.

I couldn't find a way to get the data either, normally or programmatically. I guess this is one of the classified info Windows doesn't want you to access.
from the Realm of Death
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

death.crafter wrote: January 1st, 2022, 5:33 pm I guess this is one of the classified info Windows doesn't want you to access.
Same here. I agree with you :thumbup: , even if I don't understand Microsoft's reasons...
campeanmihai

Post by campeanmihai »

Tjhank you for your time
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

campeanmihai wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 9:53 am Tjhank you for your time
Sorry we couldn't help you more.
Îmi pare rău că nu te-am putut ajuta mai mult.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

from the Realm of Death