It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:29 am

Useful software

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
OrionsHope

Useful software

Post by OrionsHope »

I think I'm in the right spot for this but I found a couple of freeware tools that I think members here will find quite useful. First up is FileMenuTools which is a very, very useful addition to the Windows context menu. Among other things, it has the ability to copy UNC paths, URL's, and the file path for ANY file, folder, exe, etc; even those pinned to the Start Menu!! It slices, it dices...oh, wait :lol: Item number two is called QTTabBar. I'm not altogether sure what all this thing can do yet as I just found it today, but what made me mention it here is that it adds the ability to use file explorer in a tabbed form. Normally, if you don't have something like this, you open explorer, navigate to your target and go on. If you want to quickly compare/change from one folder to another, you must open another window and do your business that way. with QTTabBar, you open File Explorer (it's a plugin) and now you move to and open in the main window your target parent folder (not sure if it will pin a program or something else) and go to your target folder but don't open it. Instead, drag and drop the file onto the bar and it becomes its own tab. Now, using the standard file tree on the left, navigate to folder #2 and do that again and again, it becomes its own tab, all right there in one simple Windows style interface. I'm not sure how many tabs it will hold open for you at one time but it's been my experience that when you close explorer, you lose all your open tabs so remember that. There may be a setting I haven't found yet but beware of this just in case and only minimize explorer. As far as explorer replacements go, another, even more powerful (yet still free) app is called Q-Dir. I don't have enough ink to tell you about it but I will say this, it is what explorer should have been and is the most comprehensive explorer type app I've run across. I think it's safe to say that this thing can do pretty much whatever you desire in that department for 99.999% of the people in this world. Want to have two different explorer trees open in the same interface? OK. How about four? OK. Want different file tree structures in each window? OK. It supports up to four different ones and not only can they all be different, but there's a little button that allows me to either switch between them and or clone the open one and set another window to it. But I need more than that. OK, how about being able to open multiple tabs in each explorer window independantly? In fact, it's kind of technical to use, simply due to its sheer complexity...which is why I gave FileMenuTools a try because while it can't do 1/10th what Q-Dir can, it covers a lot of common ground and Q-Dir can't do the filepath copy thing like it can...I don't think. O.O