It is currently May 5th, 2024, 5:23 am

Players Not Working

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Gankaku

Players Not Working

Post by Gankaku »

Hello all!

I'm having such trouble getting players to work in Rainmeter. I wanted to use VLC on my computer. But, after fussing all afternoon with the Enigma player, I read there were problems with VLC. (I got the dll, made a directory for it under plugins and put it there, jumped hoops and nothing happened.)

So I switched to Media Monkey. Fired up the Enigma player - picked Media Monkey. Nothing.

I've tried multiple players now that work with Media Monkey. Nothing.

BUT - all the visualizations I've tried so far work and are beautiful!

Is there something I'm missing? I've been on the internet all day trying to figure this out. Thanks for any help.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Players Not Working

Post by eclectic-tech »

Gankaku wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:13 am Hello all!

I'm having such trouble getting players to work in Rainmeter. I wanted to use VLC on my computer. But, after fussing all afternoon with the Enigma player, I read there were problems with VLC. (I got the dll, made a directory for it under plugins and put it there, jumped hoops and nothing happened.)

So I switched to Media Monkey. Fired up the Enigma player - picked Media Monkey. Nothing.

I've tried multiple players now that work with Media Monkey. Nothing.

BUT - all the visualizations I've tried so far work and are beautiful!

Is there something I'm missing? I've been on the internet all day trying to figure this out. Thanks for any help.
I have no problem using MediaMonkey with Enigma players.
enigmamusic.png
Make sure you only have 1 NowPlaying skin loaded and only 1 media player active.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Gankaku wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:13 am (I got the dll, made a directory for it under plugins and put it there, jumped hoops and nothing happened.)
What did you get, which .dll? No .dll file needed to place in the Plugins folder, NowPlaying is not a plugin file anymore, even if it has been a while ago. In meantime it has been replaced by internal measures and there is no need of .dll file anymore.
Gankaku wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:13 am BUT - all the visualizations I've tried so far work and are beautiful!
The visualizer skins are using the AudioLevel plugin, which are working independent of the source of sound and as such, independent of the player.
Gankaku

Post by Gankaku »

eclectic-tech wrote: May 11th, 2021, 3:01 am I have no problem using MediaMonkey with Enigma players.
enigmamusic.png
Make sure you only have 1 NowPlaying skin loaded and only 1 media player active.
Thanks for your reply. Okay I ONLY have MediaMonkey going right now. My visualizer is working. But Engima shows nothing. No art, no music information or anything. By a NowPlaying skin, do you mean Enigma Music Player or is there something else? EDIT: I found that NowPlaying skin is no longer needed because Rainmeter no longer needs it.
Last edited by Gankaku on May 11th, 2021, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gankaku

Post by Gankaku »

balala wrote: May 11th, 2021, 9:33 am What did you get, which .dll? No .dll file needed to place in the Plugins folder, NowPlaying is not a plugin file anymore, even if it has been a while ago. In meantime it has been replaced by internal measures and there is no need of .dll file anymore.

The visualizer skins are using the AudioLevel plugin, which are working independent of the source of sound and as such, independent of the player.
Right. I tried what I read online (obviously an old thread) and tried putting that libcad dll (I think that's what it was) to use with VLC. But it didn't work and I read similar to what you said. And I saw what confirmed what you said about NowPlayer no longer needed.

Is there something else I'm missing? All I did was load up mediamonkey, play some music from my Music folder (which has cover art) and Media Monkey displays it properly when minimized. But the Enigma Player, and all other players I tried, show nothing. And yes I did choose MediaMonkey as the player inside Enigma. I just expect to start up MM, play, and have it show up on my Enigma player. There's got to be something I'm missing?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Gankaku wrote: May 11th, 2021, 8:01 pm and tried putting that libcad dll (I think that's what it was) to use with VLC.
I don't know libcad.dll (if this is what are you talking about), don't know what is this used for. Sorry...
Gankaku wrote: May 11th, 2021, 8:01 pm And I saw what confirmed what you said about NowPlayer no longer needed.
Take care that both the plugin (when it was a plugin) and the appropriate measures are called NowPlaying, not NowPlayer.
Gankaku wrote: May 11th, 2021, 8:01 pm Is there something else I'm missing? All I did was load up mediamonkey, play some music from my Music folder (which has cover art) and Media Monkey displays it properly when minimized. But the Enigma Player, and all other players I tried, show nothing. And yes I did choose MediaMonkey as the player inside Enigma. I just expect to start up MM, play, and have it show up on my Enigma player. There's got to be something I'm missing?
I'm not using VLC, so am not sure, but I have a feeling that if the NowPlaying measures are working with it, you should use the PlayerName=CAD option on the parent NowPlaying measure. As said, not sure at all it does work, it's just a guess.
And I don't know Enigma Player either.
Gankaku

Post by Gankaku »

Yeah now I wish I wouldn't have mentioned VLC. I'm not using it right now. Let's forget about the library dll file :D Basically I was letting folks know I did try other methods and nothing's working.

Just Engima and MediaMonkey is what I'm using for now. It does not work. I don't know what else to do.
Gankaku

Post by Gankaku »

OKAY. I think I discovered something. Source is this page: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/measures/nowplaying/

I downgraded my Media Monkey to version 3. Every skin I choose s showing the cd art now. FINALLY. So I have to use a very old version of Media Monkey to get these skins to work. Every single skin I tried did not. That's too bad I have to use a super old version, but I'll try to skin it and see if I will be happy enough with it (The latest MEdia Monkey looks great!)

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

This issue also makes me not want to upgrade my JRiver Media Center to the latest (I haven't tried it on this new computer yet). I used to use that with no issue. But now JRiver is version 27 and the link above says it works with v19. It seems to me Rainmeter's updates are not keeping up to the media players latest versions and not working with them.

Edit: Also works with Media Monkey v4, but not 5.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I was going to ask what version of media player you were using, since "sadly" several current players no longer work with the aging NowPlaying plugin. Glad you were able to find the issue :great:

Latest versions of VLC , MediaMonkey, and JRiver have all reported issues. Hopefully, some enterprising Rainmeter enthusiast coder may take up the challenge of updating the plugin (*hint*) ... until then using the older versions are the only cure. :Whistle
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Gankaku wrote: May 11th, 2021, 9:22 pm
This issue also makes me not want to upgrade my JRiver Media Center to the latest (I haven't tried it on this new computer yet). I used to use that with no issue. But now JRiver is version 27 and the link above says it works with v19. It seems to me Rainmeter's updates are not keeping up to the media players latest versions and not working with them.
JRiver works GREAT! I switched from iTunes since they want a membership paid every month.

I have a Suite on DeviantArt search for "Sweet Suite" and "devart" together it might show up - the suite has only been up for a few days, but it is heavily tested and should be all set to go just navigate to the Music Controls folder and load up the skins (after installing the rmskin. Feel free to modify or otherwise chop to bits anything you find useful.

Cheers.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.