It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:19 am

Skin overlays all windows when clicking on desktop

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Shasoosh

Skin overlays all windows when clicking on desktop

Post by Shasoosh »

Hey guys,

I've been playing around with rainmeter for about a week and just got it to where I want it. Unfortunately I have this weird bug when clicking on the desktop. My skin (which is all positioned "On Desktop") will overlay all the windows on the screen for half a second. I would like it to always stay on bottom.

https://youtu.be/7aX4ixoZ1XM

Is that a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Skin overlays all windows when clicking on desktop

Post by balala »

Shasoosh wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:05 pm Is that a known issue or am I doing something wrong?
Me personally have no such issue. Please post the code of your skin (or if resources are needed pack the config and upload the package), along with the Rainmeter and your OS version. To get these information, right click the Rainmeter icon in the System Tray, click About and open the Version tab. Click the Copy to clipboard button and paste the information to the reply field.
Shasoosh

Post by Shasoosh »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm also getting this with the default HWInfo skin: https://www.hwinfo.com/files/RainmeterPlugin/HWiNFO_3.2.0.rmskin
Seems like the problem is with "On Desktop" and "Normal". If I change it to "Bottom", the flash goes away but the Skin will be minimized when "Minimize all" is used (WinKey+D) so it's also no usable for me.

Rainmeter 4.4.0.3412 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2020-12-28 7:03:17
Commit Hash: d7e3df68
Windows 10 Pro 2009 64-bit (build 19042) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\userx\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\userx\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\userx\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

(Edited to specify the problem)
Last edited by Shasoosh on February 12th, 2021, 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

I don't know all the specifics but when a skin is set to "On Desktop" and then bring the desktop into focus, the skin does flash forward for a moment. Try using the next option "Bottom" and from what I tried, the skin stays hidden and under the other windows.
Shasoosh

Post by Shasoosh »

Alex88 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 5:28 am I don't know all the specifics but when a skin is set to "On Desktop" and then bring the desktop into focus, the skin does flash forward for a moment. Try using the next option "Bottom" and from what I tried, the skin stays hidden and under the other windows.
Thanks.
"Bottom" will fix the flash but will be minimized when "Minimize all" is used (WinKey+D) so it's also no usable for me.
At first I thought that there's something wrong with the HWInfo plugin but I get this behavior with all skins.
(Previous message was edited)
For example HWInfo mentioned above and a simpler skin such as elegant-clock : https://visualskins.com/skin/elegant-clock

I was able to reproduce the same behavior on Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 (64-bit)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Shasoosh wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:42 am Thanks.
"Bottom" will fix the flash but will be minimized when "Minimize all" is used (WinKey+D) so it's also no usable for me.
At first I thought that there's something wrong with the HWInfo plugin but I get this behavior with all skins.
(Previous message was edited)
For example HWInfo mentioned above and a simpler skin such as elegant-clock : https://visualskins.com/skin/elegant-clock

I was able to reproduce the same behavior on Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 (64-bit)
Yeah, indeed the issue is there. But what do you mean by
Shasoosh wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:42 am will be minimized when "Minimize all" is used (WinKey+D)
A Rainmeter skin can't and isn't minimized at all. I never saw something like this. Even if I hit a WinKey + D key pair I do get minimize all windows, but not the skins as well.
Shasoosh

Post by Shasoosh »

Everything is set to "On Desktop" besides "Elegant Clock" which is set to "Bottom".

I keep pressing "WinKey+D" to Minimize the calculator. Note how "Elegant Clock" is also minimized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFPPj1Dm-KE
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Shasoosh wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:54 pm Everything is set to "On Desktop" besides "Elegant Clock" which is set to "Bottom".

I keep pressing "WinKey+D" to Minimize the calculator. Note how "Elegant Clock" is also minimized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFPPj1Dm-KE
:o :o :o As said, never saw a Rainmeter skin to be minimized, but the skins set to Bottom indeed are. So my comment: :jawdrop
I extremely rarely change the position of skins, that's probably why I never saw this.
No more comments and no solution so far from my part...
Shasoosh

Post by Shasoosh »

Revisiting this - is this considered a bug?
If so, is there a formal way to report it?
Any another suggestions for a fix?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Shasoosh wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:43 am Revisiting this - is this considered a bug?
If so, is there a formal way to report it?
Any another suggestions for a fix?
It could very well be a bug, but it might also be something in Windows that is out of Rainmeter's control. The formal way to report it would be to post a clear note in this forum describing the issue. This thread has a misleading subject line and discusses a different issue initially, so you might be better off starting a dedicated thread. Start the subject with "[Bug] ..." to draw the attention of the developers.

The meantime, you can set the skin position to "On desktop" to work around the problem. That is your only option for now, as far as I know.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...