It is currently April 25th, 2024, 12:13 pm

User element removed

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
jsmorley
Developer

User element removed

Post by jsmorley »

I have banned and removed the account and all posts for the user element on the forums.

We have a certain tone and way of behaving toward each other here on the forums that keeps them helpful and friendly, and I jealously guard that.

When a user starts picking fights with other users, or belittles them, or otherwise behaves in a way that is going to harsh our buzz here on the forums, I will privately ask them nicely, then I will privately warn them nicely. If they just don't or can't get the message, I may give them a week off to consider things. I"m pretty much done with "nice" at that point.

When it goes beyond that, and the discussion goes from private to public, and all kinds of accusations of "censorship" and "stifling freedom of speech" and all that are thrown around, it's gone beyond fixing. I'm not, just NOT going to get into one of those internet wars that inevitably end up with Godwin's Law being invoked. Make no mistake, I'm not even going to let that get started. I will shut it down instantly. And I will sleep like a baby that night.

The thing I fear most is having these forums descend into one of the "flame war" cesspools that 90% of all technical forums end up in. It's not going to happen.

Differences of opinion are a way of life. We encourage all opinions about the Rainmeter stuff we all love to play with to be aired and respected. There is pretty much never any reason to ever say that any approach is the "only" one, or even necessarily the "right" one. There aren't that many binary right and wrong answers with something this flexible and creative.

But, let me be clear, there IS NO "freedom of speech" here. If you are unclear about that, please read this:

Rainmeter Forums - Terms of Use and Privacy

If you doubt me, post a racist or sexist image. Tell someone the skin they designed looks like dog vomit. Tell someone they are stupid if they don't understand something. Start ranting about (insert your favorite political or religious topic here). Start an argument about Windows vs. Unix.

Sorry it came to this.
mak_kawa

Re: User element removed

Post by mak_kawa »

Really, really shocked... because I am now deeply depending on his email checker plugin. It is maybe a "one-and-only" plugin which make it possible that we directly get mail information from POP/IMAP4 mail server. I can't live without it any longer. :(

Of course, I fully agree/follow with jsmorley's decision. But now, with no choice, I have saved the URL of his site for an "insurance".

Nobody knows what may happen today, sigh.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: User element removed

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: June 16th, 2020, 2:53 am I have banned and removed the account and all posts for the user element on the forums.

We have a certain tone and way of behaving toward each other here on the forums that keeps them helpful and friendly, and I jealously guard that.

When a user starts picking fights with other users, or belittles them, or otherwise behaves in a way that is going to harsh our buzz here on the forums, I will privately ask them nicely, then I will privately warn them nicely. If they just don't or can't get the message, I may give them a week off to consider things. I"m pretty much done with "nice" at that point.

When it goes beyond that, and the discussion goes from private to public, and all kinds of accusations of "censorship" and "stifling freedom of speech" and all that are thrown around, it's gone beyond fixing. I'm not, just NOT going to get into one of those internet wars that inevitably end up with Godwin's Law being invoked. Make no mistake, I'm not even going to let that get started. I will shut it down instantly. And I will sleep like a baby that night.
And did he do all this? It seems I missed this, but if he indeed did, I completely agree with you and sustain your decision.
jsmorley wrote: June 16th, 2020, 2:53 am Sorry it came to this.
Me too...