It is currently September 8th, 2024, 4:43 am

!SetWallpaper to change "Wallpaper Engine" wallpaper?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Orbit4L

!SetWallpaper to change "Wallpaper Engine" wallpaper?

Post by Orbit4L »

Hi here ;)

I come ask a bit of help here because long time ago i make my own Dock for games & launcher where all games box are displayed and i make in sort than my cursor and the wallpaper change when hovering the mouse over the game box with : [!SetWallpaper "#SteamWallp1-1#" Fill]

But since yesterday i have reinstall my steam wallpaper engine to make a try, see if i was able to call a wallpaper animated from rainmeter but without success^^ i have try to take a look on google but i only found one but i only found a person who asked this question and a person replied that apparently someone is working on creating a plug-in for wallpaper engine but nothing more :(

This is why i prefer to come ask directly here if someone would be how to do this ^^

Thanks in advance ;)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: !SetWallpaper to change "Wallpaper Engine" wallpaper?

Post by balala »

Orbit4L wrote: May 1st, 2020, 7:32 am But since yesterday i have reinstall my steam wallpaper engine to make a try, see if i was able to call a wallpaper animated from rainmeter but without success^^ i have try to take a look on google but i only found one but i only found a person who asked this question and a person replied that apparently someone is working on creating a plug-in for wallpaper engine but nothing more :(
What Wallpaper Engine is? Personally have no idea.
However what you should check first is how is set the SteamWallp1-1 variable is set? Does it have a value, indicating an image file on your computer? Also is there appearing any error message in the log when you're hovering the mouse over the "game box"?
Orbit4L

Post by Orbit4L »

Hi balala,

So Wallpaper Engine is a program (can be buy on steam) for put Animated Walpaper on Windows.

And about my

Code: Select all

SteamWallp1-1
yep it's just a variable call in "Variables.inc" done for my actual Wallpaper for the first Steam game on first dock but it was just an exemple, this one work fine cuz i use simple ".jpg".

But on Wallpaper Engine the animated wallpaper are consist of several files including a "scene.pkg", a "project.json" and a "shaders" folder including many ".dxs" files.

I hope to have been clearer ^^
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Orbit4L wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:10 am I hope to have been clearer ^^
Yep, it is, but unfortunately there is no solution from my part, because I don't know Wallpaper Engine and don't know how does it work and if there are all those files, Rainmeter definitely can't deal with them.
Maybe someone else, especially from those who are knowing Wallpaper Engine, will have an idea about the solution.
Sorry...
Orbit4L

Post by Orbit4L »

No prob dude, it's already really cool to take time to answer me ;)

PS: i just see on Wallpaper Engine it's possible to assign a keyboard shortcut for each wallpaper, suddenly i was wondering if it was possible to call/trigger a keyboard shortcut using a command like !SetWallpaper (something like !SetKeyShortcut^^) ?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Orbit4L wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:46 am PS: i just see on Wallpaper Engine it's possible to assign a keyboard shortcut for each wallpaper, suddenly i was wondering if it was possible to call/trigger a keyboard shortcut using a command like !SetWallpaper (something like !SetKeyShortcut^^) ?
If you know what you have to execute, it is. Rainmeter can execute some bangs, on keypress, you just have to install the HotKey plugin. However I'm not sure what the desired key combination should execute. If you know for sure the path of those images, then yes, a key combination can set any of those images as wallpaper, but do you know them?
As said, someone who is using Wallpaper Engine would probably be much more able here to assist you. If the images you wanna set as wallpaper are known, it's easy, but are they known?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Orbit4L wrote: May 1st, 2020, 7:32 am Hi here ;)

I come ask a bit of help here because long time ago i make my own Dock for games & launcher where all games box are displayed and i make in sort than my cursor and the wallpaper change when hovering the mouse over the game box with : [!SetWallpaper "#SteamWallp1-1#" Fill]

But since yesterday i have reinstall my steam wallpaper engine to make a try, see if i was able to call a wallpaper animated from rainmeter but without success^^ i have try to take a look on google but i only found one but i only found a person who asked this question and a person replied that apparently someone is working on creating a plug-in for wallpaper engine but nothing more :(

This is why i prefer to come ask directly here if someone would be how to do this ^^

Thanks in advance ;)
Nice program, that Wallpaper Engine... 8-)
If only Rainmeter would have been able to display its skins "behind" everything else on the screen (including desktop icons, for example), then one could create any animated wallpaper that he liked directly in Rainmeter. :D

That being said, what you want is, from what I can tell, entirely possible. According to this and this, as long as it's already running, Wallpaper Engine fully supports command line parameters as of build 1.1.301 from 13 December 2019, like, say:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\wallpaper32.exe" -control openWallpaper -file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\projects\myprojects\myWallpaper\project.json"
So, given the fact that one can execute commands right from the bang itself and also that Rainmeter's RunCommand plugin allows running stuff from the command line, the whole thing becomes quite easy to accomplish. So, assuming that [GameBox] is the meter in your Dock used to "trigger" Wallpaper Engine on hover, you could do either of the following (replace paths or names according to your environment):

[MeasureChangeWallpaper]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=RunCommand
Program=""C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\wallpaper32.exe""
Parameter=-control openWallpaper -file ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\projects\myprojects\myWallpaper\project.json""
State=Hide
OutputType=ANSI
Timeout=5000
[GameBox]
Meter=...
MouseOverAction=[!CommandMeasure MeasureChangeWallpaper "Run"]
or

[MeasureChangeWallpaper]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=RunCommand
Parameter=""C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\wallpaper32.exe"" -control openWallpaper -file ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\projects\myprojects\myWallpaper\project.json""
State=Hide
OutputType=ANSI
Timeout=5000
[GameBox]
Meter=...
MouseOverAction=[!CommandMeasure MeasureChangeWallpaper "Run"]
or simply

[GameBox]
Meter=...
MouseOverAction=["C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\wallpaper32.exe" -control openWallpaper -file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\projects\myprojects\myWallpaper\project.json"]
Note that the first two variants will run in a "hidden state" (i.e. without any cmd.exe window showing up), while the latter, although much simpler than the other two, will display the cmd.exe window (which could be undesirable, from a visual and practical point of view). Also, if things don't work the first time and you know you have the right Wallpaper Engine version to support command line options, some tweaking could be needed in placing the quotes (") around commands or parameters that include spaces. Me, I think I set them up correctly, but you never know until you test the code yourself.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Orbit4L

Post by Orbit4L »

Im back ! :P

So Balala yep i can assign in Wallpaper Engine program directly a shortcut of my choice for each animated wallpaper take in WE from the workshop ^^
But i have 99 games divided between 8 dock for each games launcher so it would have been a bit complicated to find many shortcuts knowing that only the ALT and CTRL keys are allowed (and there is not even a difference between the left and right ALT and CTRL :P)

But thanks to Yincognito it should be possible from what i read from his post without this headache haha
I just see your answer now, so i try this as soon as possible and i will come back to reply & mark this post as solved if all work fine!

I'm hopeful, thank you so much Yincognito you made me smile again :P
Last edited by Orbit4L on May 1st, 2020, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Orbit4L wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:50 pmI'm hopeful, thank you so much Yincognito you made me smile again :P
Don't smile until it all works! ;-)
Joking aside, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't. Take care with those quotes (or double quotes) though... :D
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Orbit4L wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:50 pm (and there is not even a difference between the left and right ALT and CTRL :P
With the HotKey plugin there actually is. For instance CTRL is for the Control key, LCTRL for the Left Conrol, while RCTRL for Right Control.
Same for ALT.