It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:29 am

Combining multiple skins with a twist

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mirage

Combining multiple skins with a twist

Post by Mirage »

Sorry if the subject sounds a bit cryptic, but let me explain what I need in a little more detail that one line would give me. I'm still a practicing nube to Rainmeter scripting, but have a bit more experience with Rainlender,

So I'm working on a personal desktop theme, incorporating several individual skins to achieve the look I want. Eventually, this theme will incorporate a clock, date and weather skin. And I have figured out how to combine all these separate skins into one .ini file. The twist, is I still want to be able to freely move the individual components (skins or widgets), to different locations on the screen. This is where I'm totally stuck. I don't know what the best way would be to achieve this?

The only thing I thought of was to create individual Groups for the widgets I create, then use something like LeftMouseDown action to move the group. But I'm not sure that would work?

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
CyberTheWorm

Re: Combining multiple skins with a twist

Post by CyberTheWorm »

I'm not sure how to get what you want other than make each individual one a separate ini file.

The plus side of this is you can get each skin working by it's self without having to go through massive lines of code.

I did one like the one you are working on and it was very hard to debug.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CyberTheWorm wrote: November 28th, 2018, 3:19 pm I'm not sure how to get what you want other than make each individual one a separate ini file.
Not at all, at least not in a simple and reliable way. Doesn't worth to make something like this. Those skins should have to be kept in separate .ini files. My opinion...
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Thanks for the help. I was afraid of that. The debugging large amounts of code is tedious, but I already have all the pieces working as individual ini files, so if it was possible, it would be pretty much a cut and paste thing into one large ini file. But so far the general consensus is that it won't work, so unless someone else has an idea, I'll just leave it as separate skins, and try to package them as one rmskin file.
Thanks all!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Mirage wrote: November 29th, 2018, 12:43 am Thanks for the help. I was afraid of that. The debugging large amounts of code is tedious, but I already have all the pieces working as individual ini files, so if it was possible, it would be pretty much a cut and paste thing into one large ini file. But so far the general consensus is that it won't work, so unless someone else has an idea, I'll just leave it as separate skins, and try to package them as one rmskin file.
Definitely you shouldn't have to combine those skins. It's better to have them as distinct .ini files. Usually doesn't worth to combine them. As you said, you can have them into the same root config, but if you plan to load more then one at a time, you have to place them into different "sub-configs" (because you can load one single skin from a config, at a time).