It is currently July 27th, 2024, 12:54 am

Skins stuttering when dragged around (Win7_64)

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
molo

Skins stuttering when dragged around (Win7_64)

Post by molo »

I was wondering if this has been a problem for anyone else. After installing Rainmeter on my Windows 7 64-bit computer, I noticed that all of my skins would "stutter" when I dragged them around on the screen. It's very rhythmic; I'll drag it for about 2 seconds and then there will be a half a second of unresponsiveness before the skin jumps to its current position.

What's even stranger is that it will occur in the menu as well when you right click on the tray icon. I can hover my cursor over the different items, and the highlighting effect takes a moment to catch up.

I'm running the the recent 32-bit release on a Windows 7 32-bit laptop, and there are no problems whatsoever. I don't think it's a performance issue; my 64-bit computer has an AMD Phenom II Quad Core processor and 8 GB of RAM.

If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Skins stuttering when dragged around (Win7_64)

Post by jsmorley »

molo wrote:I was wondering if this has been a problem for anyone else. After installing Rainmeter on my Windows 7 64-bit computer, I noticed that all of my skins would "stutter" when I dragged them around on the screen. It's very rhythmic; I'll drag it for about 2 seconds and then there will be a half a second of unresponsiveness before the skin jumps to its current position.

What's even stranger is that it will occur in the menu as well when you right click on the tray icon. I can hover my cursor over the different items, and the highlighting effect takes a moment to catch up.

I'm running the the recent 32-bit release on a Windows 7 32-bit laptop, and there are no problems whatsoever. I don't think it's a performance issue; my 64-bit computer has an AMD Phenom II Quad Core processor and 8 GB of RAM.

If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.
Feels like a problem with an antivirus "scanning" the app as it is running. Try turning off your antivirus temporarily and see if it goes away. If so, you can probably set an "exception" somewhere in the antivirus app to make it ignore Rainmeter.
molo

Post by molo »

Feels like a problem with an antivirus "scanning" the app as it is running. Try turning off your antivirus temporarily and see if it goes away. If so, you can probably set an "exception" somewhere in the antivirus app to make it ignore Rainmeter.
Thanks for the quick reply, jsmorley!

I haven't even installed any actual antivirus software yet :Embarrassed:, but I will poke around in the Security Center when I get home to see if something like Windows Defender is the culprit.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

molo wrote: Thanks for the quick reply, jsmorley!

I haven't even installed any actual antivirus software yet :Embarrassed:, but I will poke around in the Security Center when I get home to see if something like Windows Defender is the culprit.
It may not be that at all, it was just a thought of one place to look. It does sound like "something" is eating up a lot of CPU and causing Rainmeter to have to struggle for cycles...
molo

Post by molo »

jsmorley wrote: It may not be that at all, it was just a thought of one place to look. It does sound like "something" is eating up a lot of CPU and causing Rainmeter to have to struggle for cycles...
Disabling Windows Defender didn't do anything, and when I checked my running processes, I found nothing out of the ordinary. I'll try a few more things and see if anything sticks. Thanks again for your help.