It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:44 pm

Rainmeter is crashing! What do I do?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Infartin

Re: Rainmeter is crashing! What do I do?

Post by Infartin »

Yincognito wrote: November 18th, 2023, 6:45 pm Sorry, but you almost certainly did not complete the troubleshooting steps layed out above (or you captured the video at an entirely different time), because according to your own video, you still have a "settings" skin loaded (or at least, trying to load) when Rainmeter is crashing...

The whole point of those steps is to first start with no skins loaded and see if the problem is more serious than a malfunctioning skin (which, as said, is 90% of the time the cause of the crash). Until we can see that clean Rainmeter (with or without the default Illustro skins that are loaded after installation) is crashing, the verdict is going to be that the culprit is one of the skins that still load when Rainmeter starts. :confused:

Also, what error do you get when installing normally on the C drive? You shouldn't have to install Rainmeter on your D drive for it to work, that should happen on C as well assuming you do have a typical user account on your Windows system with the typical folder permissions and such.
Yes, sorry, I understand that, I made a video as an example of how the application behaves. I went through the steps again, as before, the error indicated exactly the same when installing the standard version of the application. as in the photo, but the portable one behaves like in the video.

I went through all the steps again and, unfortunately, the result did not change.

Please tell me what could be wrong(

https://dropmefiles.net/ru/SRDCmZfsXK
- crash like a portable one
- error - standard boot
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Infartin wrote: November 18th, 2023, 9:56 pm Yes, sorry, I understand that, I made a video as an example of how the application behaves. I went through the steps again, as before, the error indicated exactly the same when installing the standard version of the application. as in the photo, but the portable one behaves like in the video.

I went through all the steps again and, unfortunately, the result did not change.

Please tell me what could be wrong(

https://dropmefiles.net/ru/SRDCmZfsXK
- crash like a portable one
- error - standard boot
I see, thanks.

Regarding the error in your photo, see this about folder permissions and protection by the operating system:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=34581#p171194
Additionally, a similar error and some possible avenues your might try:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=42077
However, that error is specific to installing Rainmeter as a portable application and should have nothing to do with performing a "Standard Installation", since in that case Rainmeter is installed in the proper Program Files folder. So, just in case your standard installation is by any chance placing skins and stuff into the OneDrive folder, see here:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=39589

Other than that, I don't know what to say, if you said you followed the appropriate steps and it still doesn't work. Personally, I (and many others) perform a standard installation of Rainmeter on my Win 10 and it all works as it should, no crash or anything. It's hard to pinpoint what could be the issue if it cannot be reproduced and the environment is different for your system (at this point I'd for for either some folder permission or ownership problem, some needed Windows components not installed, or some other software preventing access to Rainmeter). Out of curiosity, if you uninstall Rainmeter completely and delete all its traces from your system (including all related folders and their contents, possible registry keys, any Windows startup leftovers if any, etc.), do a restart or two, and then only perform a standard installation of Rainmeter - but without running it after install or load any skin -, does the installation process complete successfully? If so, can you, for example, test whether you can copy Rainmeter.exe to some other location from the installation folder, or the reverse, copy some other executable file from another folder / drive to your Rainmeter installation folder? :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Infartin

Post by Infartin »

Yincognito wrote: November 19th, 2023, 2:01 am I see, thanks.

Regarding the error in your photo, see this about folder permissions and protection by the operating system:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=34581#p171194
Additionally, a similar error and some possible avenues your might try:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=42077
However, that error is specific to installing Rainmeter as a portable application and should have nothing to do with performing a "Standard Installation", since in that case Rainmeter is installed in the proper Program Files folder. So, just in case your standard installation is by any chance placing skins and stuff into the OneDrive folder, see here:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=39589

Other than that, I don't know what to say, if you said you followed the appropriate steps and it still doesn't work. Personally, I (and many others) perform a standard installation of Rainmeter on my Win 10 and it all works as it should, no crash or anything. It's hard to pinpoint what could be the issue if it cannot be reproduced and the environment is different for your system (at this point I'd for for either some folder permission or ownership problem, some needed Windows components not installed, or some other software preventing access to Rainmeter). Out of curiosity, if you uninstall Rainmeter completely and delete all its traces from your system (including all related folders and their contents, possible registry keys, any Windows startup leftovers if any, etc.), do a restart or two, and then only perform a standard installation of Rainmeter - but without running it after install or load any skin -, does the installation process complete successfully? If so, can you, for example, test whether you can copy Rainmeter.exe to some other location from the installation folder, or the reverse, copy some other executable file from another folder / drive to your Rainmeter installation folder? :???:
I thank you for your help in the moments, I managed to install it in the program files with a standard installation, after making the pf as the owner, but unfortunately this did not solve the problem.

I changed the file name and checked it using the command line. line, transferred the files, cleaned all traces of the rainmeter by reinstalling it, checked it through the drivers for the video card.

but unfortunately I haven’t found the right solution(

Now my application is loaded with a standard installation, but it also crashes 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Infartin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 12:06 pm I thank you for your help in the moments, I managed to install it in the program files with a standard installation, after making the pf as the owner, but unfortunately this did not solve the problem.

I changed the file name and checked it using the command line. line, transferred the files, cleaned all traces of the rainmeter by reinstalling it, checked it through the drivers for the video card.

but unfortunately I haven’t found the right solution(

Now my application is loaded with a standard installation, but it also crashes 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Hmm... that's strange indeed. Another alternative that might indicate where the issue comes from would be to ask someone you know (a friend, a colleague, etc.) who has a roughly similar system or configuration to yours to try and install Rainmeter normally and see if the problem occurs in that case too. Or, just installing on a similar computer, if you have it... :???:
Infartin

Post by Infartin »

Yincognito wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:32 pm Hmm... that's strange indeed. Another alternative that might indicate where the issue comes from would be to ask someone you know (a friend, a colleague, etc.) who has a roughly similar system or configuration to yours to try and install Rainmeter normally and see if the problem occurs in that case too. Or, just installing on a similar computer, if you have it... :???:
good afternoon, I actually installed it on 2 PCs at work, no problems the first time, everything works correctly. Special thanks for the application

Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to do anything on my home PC, although in theory it should be much cleaner than work PCs.

I would be grateful for advice from a series of science fiction that may still be wrong on a home PC, so to speak, the last chance.

Thanks again everyone for your help 8-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Infartin wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 8:54 am good afternoon, I actually installed it on 2 PCs at work, no problems the first time, everything works correctly. Special thanks for the application

Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to do anything on my home PC, although in theory it should be much cleaner than work PCs.

I would be grateful for advice from a series of science fiction that may still be wrong on a home PC, so to speak, the last chance.

Well, at least you saw that it should "normally" work, so that's a plus. I agree that a home PC should be cleaner than a work PC, but then a work PC usually benefits from more "standard" installation or maintenance, depending on who handles those parts at your workplace.

Assuming the exact same operating system version and installation on both and perfectly clean Rainmeter installations (which you guaranteed by stating that you followed the troubleshooting steps above), I guess the obvious areas where things might differ are the particular PC components and their drivers, the proper installation of various typical Windows "enhancers" like C++, .NET Framework or DirectX redistributables, and other basic settings or apps that play a part in general system stability like the ones in Windows itself when it comes to user account or permissions, AV, firewall and similar.

Some of these things might not be easy to notice or correct (if that's the case) on an already set up system, and I really don't want to suggest more radical measures like a clean OS installation, some expert TeamViewer assistance or running stuff in a virtual machine just for this, since they take time and they don't offer solid guarantees on their success unless done right and when finished. I would also like to avoid advising on some potential boot toggling between your existing installation and a new one on a spare hard drive since one needs to know precisely what he's doing in such a case. So, besides that, it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what needs to be done, since it's your system with its particularities that we aren't aware of and can't reproduce, so apart from the steps you apparently already took without success on your machine or searching the forum for similar problems and solutions if any, I'm afraid that an acceptable resolution to this falls on your shoulders, as the closest and most familiar with the issue at hand... :???:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Infartin wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 8:54 am good afternoon, I actually installed it on 2 PCs at work, no problems the first time, everything works correctly. Special thanks for the application

Besides Yincognito's recommendations (which you should have to follow), what am I not sure about is what did you mean by
Infartin wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 8:54 am Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to do anything on my home PC,
If I'm not mistaken, you did succeed in installing Rainmeter. But if you did, what didn't work, what you couldn't do? Did you succeeded at least in activating the default illustro skins, which come with Rainmeter, or you did get Rainmeter crashing by the beginning?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 7:14 pm If I'm not mistaken, you did succeed in installing Rainmeter. But if you did, what didn't work, what you couldn't do? Did you succeeded at least in activating the default illustro skins, which come with Rainmeter, or you did get Rainmeter crashing by the beginning?
He probably meant that he couldn't improve the existing situation, where Rainmeter is installed fine (standard one), but it crashes right after being executed (Illustro is loaded by default after installation, so it can be seen for a fraction of a second before crashing). At least that's what he posted in the video earlier. Same for the portable installation I suppose, though I insisted on the standard one since that's the behavior I know best.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 9:02 pm At least that's what he posted in the video earlier.
Sorry, I missed that video. Anyway some details would be great, so me at least am waiting them.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 9:35 pm Sorry, I missed that video. Anyway some details would be great, so me at least am waiting them.
Sure thing. :)