It is currently April 24th, 2024, 7:09 am

Failed Uploads (Past, Present, and future)

Release announcements and important news from the developers.
sgtevmckay

Failed Uploads (Past, Present, and future)

Post by sgtevmckay »

UPDATE:

As of May 06, 2010 at approximately 0100 (-7 GMT) I have reduced the upload amounts, as we continue to average approximately 1.1Gigs a month. That being said the following changes have been made.

Upload Limit set to:
300KiB
with a maximum of three (3) attachments per post

No apologies for these changes, and it is my hope that many have already converted to off site hosts for files by this time.

If you have not, you are welcome to read the below statement and set up hosting by whatever needs that fit you.

Additional links are available in the below post and in the Important Links area of the forum

ATTENTION!!!

This is another of my never ending posts, but you will want to read and be aware of what is going to happen

As many of you know we recently hit a ceiling on our uploads limit.
This ceiling automatically stopped all uploads to the forums.

What exactly happened?

The server, and the forum ACP, only allow for so much space, we maxed our limit from the ACP control set.
As soon as we hit our maximum allotment of space, the Forum would no longer allow any further attachments.
Since I have been tied up with other projects and personal issues...I missed it, and uploads were denied for about a week.

What is the culprit for the space being gone?
I hate to say it, but it is the skins.
The heart of Rainmeter is what is taking the most space.
Screenshots and other small image items are inconsequential, the skins is what is sapping our space :(

Where are we at now?
At this time: Space limit has been expanded, but the space is not infinite.
As our space is limited, we will hit this expanded ceiling again, and it may not be in the too far future.

First: I would have our community understand that this forum space is donated to the Rainmeter community by
NiteShdw; Owner of http://osirisdevelopment.com
NiteShdw operates a business and at least one other forum through his account.
NiteShdw has been incredibly generous to our community, by expanding current space available, and other things that I can not even list....I wish not to further impose on his generosity

Second: We started accepting donations several months ago, but this has panned out very little, and the account remains stagnant.
The Donations account is transparent, and I maintain it meticulously...More information on the donations: http://forum.rainmeter.net/viewforum.php?f=43
Now I just recently realized that the information for donations is missing at the footer of the forums and I will work to get this returned as soon as possible.
As the Community bucket (Donations) remains mostly empty, we will not be looking to expand the forum space.
I would need to see steady and long term flow of donations to even consider the community flipping the bill to maintain several Gigs of server space.

Sooner or later this space ceiling will be hit again, uploads will cease at that point.

So where does this leave us???
We need to find alternatives to this space issue.
After some interesting discussion the solution we have developed, although not totally appealing, is a working solution.
Below is an outline of how the future of uploading skins and test skins to the forum, will eventually play out.

We require that folks that have upload Beta skins, and have released full versions of that skin...to delete the post and the attachments.

We are asking that members find an off site File Hosting solution for their skins:
I use DropBox (You can see evidence of this in my larger skins here at the forum. I also use it for my Avatar, Signature, Flash preesentations,and most of my screenshots here at the forums)
MediaFire Has been found to be a free unlimited and decent interface host, with unlimited information handling.
Deviant art....Also an excellent choice, absolutely free, and Rainmeter has a full blown Group working there with several members and non-community members working their tails off to make it special. Bendenfield is also doing everything in his power to ensure that the DeviantArt group and the forum community remain connected.
Give him a pat on the back when you can :thumbsu: I would also appreciate if community members could help with further suggestions.
I would use DropBox for Beta releases to the forum, and then Customize.org, or Devart for the links, but Media fire is a great way to track Downloads and categorize, so please look at these solutions, and if you find one of your own, please share it...We are always looking for better solutions

We want to keep the skins and projects here at the forums as much as our members need, but the offsite solution must be instituted.
If members can convert their skin releases and beta projects to offsite hosts, for their skin downloads/files...It will be greatly appreciated.

Upload limits will be reduced in the future. This will not happen immediately and members will be warned with plenty of time in advance.
The current limit for attachment size is 1.5M with a maximum of 5 attachments per post; this will be reduced.
To what size and how many? We have not made a determination.
So further information will be made available in the future.

The Skin Development and Share Your Creations forum will be culled!
At some point in the near future; I will start culling older beta and test skins. I will make every attempt to keep Full skins, but I can not guarantee that this will happen, as we need to make room for new skins, but would wish to maintain a skin gallery.
If you do not wish to lose you beta skin, start converting to offsite hosting soon.
I also suggest the same for full skins as well, as I am unaware as to whether I will need to cull full skins, but better to be safe.
Also keep in mind that sometimes, beta and full skins may share the same thread so better to convert all.
When will this happen; I am unsure at this time, but I will be starting no later than 2 months from now...so Member have plenty of time to convert their skins to an offsite host and delete their attachments to the forum.

More information Will be made available as changes are to come.
Please understand that we are not looking at eliminating Skins and Beta forum, as any of us find a special privilege in watching the skins being built and the skins being released through the forums are special, especially to me.

I make no apologies, actually it sends not only a tinge of sadness, but a glorious feeling through me.
Rainmeter forum and the resurrection of Rainmeter has not even been a year in its time, and look what has happened.
I thank all of you for placing Rainmeter where it is today.
We will be around a lot longer, and hopefully these requests and changes will assist in keeping our forum.

If you have questions or suggestions, let us know..we are highly interested!!! :D
bendenfield

Re: Failed Uploads (Past, Present, and future)

Post by bendenfield »

That aren't good news.
If I can help in any way, let me know.
Sure, I am going to write a new blog entry over at dA about this problem. I can also ask people to donate to Rainmeter if you wish.

I am going to convert my posts now. Personally I don't care about my old betas from long forgotten projects, so I will delete them completly. The full versions can all be found on my deviantART account if someone really cares about it.

Greets
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Well I've gone and replaced all of my uploaded skins and images. Now the few images that were uploaded here are hosted at Photobucket and the skins are all at Mediafire. It wasn't much, but there's no harm in setting a good example ;).

Mediafire is a host I've been using for a long time. You get a lot more there than at most free places and the ability to organize everything into folder and then link people to those folders is a bonus. Add in the overall speed of the downloads and the lack of a waiting time that most filehosts seem to sport (*cough*Rapidshare*cough*) and it really is one of the best sites around.

As for Photobucket... well, it used to be better. I guess I just stick with them because I've had an account there for so long.
ImageImageImageImage
BinaryInk

Post by BinaryInk »

An alternative hosting site for people could also be in Windows Live Skydrive. You get 25GB of free space to host your skins and keep them updated and maintained in organized folders...good, no? Not a solution for posting screenshots though.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Screen shots are small, ultimately of little consequence, so will will not stop people from attaching images.....ALthough I do host a number of them through my DropBox....

It is the skins that is eating space over all...so this is where we need concentrate our efforts.

Thanks for teh suggestions so far :-)
BinaryInk

Post by BinaryInk »

BinaryInk wrote:An alternative hosting site for people could also be in Windows Live Skydrive. You get 25GB of free space to host your skins and keep them updated and maintained in organized folders...good, no? Not a solution for posting screenshots though.
I should probably add onto my post that a necessary part of skydrive is to have a Windows Live ID...whether you're accessing someone else's or managing your own. Not a huge issue really, but I think I should have probably pointed this out in the first place.
bendenfield

Post by bendenfield »

Here you got a very useful link:
http://forum.rainmeter.net/ucp.php?i=attachments&mode=attachments&sk=d&sd=d

This will show you all your attachments orderd by file size.

I for my part have exchanged all attachements above 710KB with public files in my dropbox.com.
Additionally I will delete all old attachements, I will not upload them elsewhere, since those are really old and actually placed in dead topics.
Varelse

Post by Varelse »

I deleted all but one of my beta skins and large attachments. I don't plan on replacing them.

One odd thing I did see is that one of my attachments was downloaded over 7000 times, which is quite a bit more than the total views that the thread had.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

bendenfield wrote:Here you got a very useful link:

This will show you all your attachments orderd by file size.

I for my part have exchanged all attachements above 710KB with public files in my dropbox.com.
Additionally I will delete all old attachements, I will not upload them elsewhere, since those are really old and actually placed in dead topics.
Thanks for that link. It will help a lot in protecting things you want to stay on the forums by having a quick and easy way to download your attachments and change to an external link for them.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

bendenfield wrote:Here you got a very useful link:
Thanks, uploaded the more important stuff elsewhere and just deleted the useless :)