It is currently May 6th, 2024, 4:44 pm

Inaccurate network meter

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Nooby4Ever

Inaccurate network meter

Post by Nooby4Ever »

Hallo

I'm pretty new to rainmeter, i downloaded it 2 weeks ago and made my first skinn. Now i noticed the network speed (upload and download) are very inaccurate.

Issue 1 :
When i download a torrent with 300kb/s the network monoitor of rainmeter say it's double that speed, or now when i'm not dling annything windows Resource Monitor say i dl+up = 9kb/s, and rainmeter say 0kb/s dl and 600b/s ul, witch is very different from windows monitor. I also see a stabiele upload speed of 600-800 b/s in windows monitor, rainmeter say 0.00 b/s upload.

I can give much more examples but i think you get my point that it does not show what windows shows, and i trust windows more than rainmeter (also see issue2)

Issue 2 :
The total dled and uploaded amount of Gb's are wrong, i have a maximum amout of gb i can dl a month and rainmeter say that in 2 weeks i dled about the double of my allouded amout of a hole month. (if i go over the limite my provider put me on smallband and that didn't happen so i know rainmeter is wrong because that didn't happend)

I use windows 7 ultimate, and rainmeter update every 1000 ms (that was the standaard value i think for that "tool")

I also have a question, i would like to monitor my amount of gb's i use every month (from 4th till 3th of next month), so after the 3th it resets to 0 and start again (so i know how much gb's i got left that month) if that is possible ....

Grtz
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Inaccurate network meter

Post by jsmorley »

Nooby4Ever wrote:Hallo

I'm pretty new to rainmeter, i downloaded it 2 weeks ago and made my first skinn. Now i noticed the network speed (upload and download) are very inaccurate.

Issue 1 :
When i download a torrent with 300kb/s the network monoitor of rainmeter say it's double that speed, or now when i'm not dling annything windows Resource Monitor say i dl+up = 9kb/s, and rainmeter say 0kb/s dl and 600b/s ul, witch is very different from windows monitor. I also see a stabiele upload speed of 600-800 b/s in windows monitor, rainmeter say 0.00 b/s upload.

I can give much more examples but i think you get my point that it does not show what windows shows, and i trust windows more than rainmeter (also see issue2)

Issue 2 :
The total dled and uploaded amount of Gb's are wrong, i have a maximum amout of gb i can dl a month and rainmeter say that in 2 weeks i dled about the double of my allouded amout of a hole month. (if i go over the limite my provider put me on smallband and that didn't happen so i know rainmeter is wrong because that didn't happend)

I use windows 7 ultimate, and rainmeter update every 1000 ms (that was the standaard value i think for that "tool")

I also have a question, i would like to monitor my amount of gb's i use every month (from 4th till 3th of next month), so after the 3th it resets to 0 and start again (so i know how much gb's i got left that month) if that is possible ....

Grtz
The issue with network upload and download is related to the settings you have for "Instance=" on the network measures. Windows tracks network activity by network interface "instance" and on a system with a router there will usually be more than one. The default for NetIn and NetOut is "0", which often is "all instances" in Windows and can cause the results to be double or even triple the actual amounts. Try changing your Instance= to 1 or 2 or 3 until you get the amount Rainmeter sees to match what Windows sees. Another alternative that isn't so trial and error is to run Perfmon.exe, and under Performance Monitor click the big green "+". Then expand "Network Interface" and select any counter. At the bottom will be a list of all "Instances". The one you want is the instance that has the name of your network interface card. Remember that it starts with "0", so the second item on the list will be "1".
Nooby4Ever

Post by Nooby4Ever »

Where do i change "Instance=" ? (i should put it to 5 if i get it right)

What i did :
- remove everything from perf mon
- added my 2 network card (these are "network interface card"s right?) my on my motherboard, as you see in the picture only nr2 is active (that's correct) It's 5th in the list (counted all instances as 0)
picture : http://www.mypicx.com/01092010/hkjhkj/ (click twice on image for real size)

µtorrent say : 281 kb/s
Res Monitor say: around 150kb/s
Perf Monitor say : 300 kb/s ? (what's the meaning of the numbers on the y bar of the graph ?)

Rainmeter = 880kb/s

My system had a router, first one from my provider, than a normal one i bought and that's connected to my computer.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nooby4Ever wrote:Where do i change "Instance=" ? (i should put it to 5 if i get it right)

What i did :
- remove everything from perf mon
- added my 2 network card (these are "network interface card"s right?) my on my motherboard, as you see in the picture only nr2 is active (that's correct) It's 5th in the list (counted all instances as 0)
picture : http://www.mypicx.com/01092010/hkjhkj/ (click twice on image for real size)

µtorrent say : 281 kb/s
Res Monitor say: around 150kb/s
Perf Monitor say : 300 kb/s ? (what's the meaning of the numbers on the y bar of the graph ?)

Rainmeter = 880kb/s

My system had a router, first one from my provider, than a normal one i bought and that's connected to my computer.
In the .ini file for whatever skin is displaying NetIn and NetOut, look for two measures that say Measure=NetIn and Measure=NetOut. These should have a line in them "Interface=". Set that to 5 if that is the correct one.
Nooby4Ever

Post by Nooby4Ever »

Like this :

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Author=Nooby4Ever
AppVersion=1
Update=1000

[Metadata]
Name=Network Speed
Config=Gigabyte | Applications | NetWork Speed (Big)
Description=Show the ul/dl speed
Version=1

-------------------------------------Variables-----------------------------------------

[Variables]
@include=#SKINSPATH#Gigabyte\Resources\Settings\Variables.inc

-------------------------------------Measurements--------------------------------------

[MeasureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
Instance=5

[MeasureNetInAll]
Measure=NetIn
Instance=5
Cumulative=1

[MeasureNetOutAll]
Measure=NetOut
Instance=5
Cumulative=1

[MeasureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
Instance=5

-------------------------------------METERS--------------------------------------------

[MainBackground]
Meter=IMAGE
X=0
Y=0
W=209
H=14
SolidColor=SolidColor=0, 0, 0, 1

[MeterFileSystemsLabel]
Meter=STRING
X=-1
Y=8
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=LEFT
Prefix="Network Speed:"
AntiAlias=0

[MeterHorizontalDivider2]
Meter=STRING
X=-1
Y=15
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=LEFT
Prefix="....................................................................................................."
AntiAlias=0

[Label DownAll]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLabel
X=20
y=30
Text="Total Dl :"
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=CENTER
StringStyle=bold
AntiAlias=1

[MeterDownAll]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureNetInAll
X=50
Y=30
FontColor=#FontColorC#
StringStyle=NORMAL
FontSize=7
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
AntiAlias=0
AutoScale=1
PostFix="IB"

[Label CurrentDown]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLabel
X=26
y=45
Text="Current Dl :"
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=CENTER
StringStyle=bold
AntiAlias=1

[MeterDown]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureNetIn
X=56
Y=45
Text="%1B"
AutoScale=1
FontColor=#FontColorA#
FontSize=7
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
AntiAlias=0
PostFix="/S"

[Label UpAll]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLabel
X=150
y=30
Text="Total Ul :"
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=CENTER
StringStyle=bold
AntiAlias=1

[MeterUpAll]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureNetOutAll
X=180
Y=30
FontColor=#FontColorC#
StringStyle=NORMAL
FontSize=7
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
AntiAlias=0
AutoScale=1
PostFix="IB"

[Label CurrentUp]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLabel
X=156
y=45
Text="Current Ul :"
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=CENTER
StringStyle=bold
AntiAlias=1

[MeterUp]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureNetOut
X=186
Y=45
Text="%1B"
AutoScale=1
FontColor=#FontColorA#
FontSize=7
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
AntiAlias=0
PostFix="/S"
Doesn't work at all, stil wrong (there wasn't a line "Instance=" so i have put it there myself)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nooby4Ever wrote:Like this :

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Author=Nooby4Ever
AppVersion=1
Update=1000

[Metadata]
Name=Network Speed
Config=Gigabyte | Applications | NetWork Speed (Big)
Description=Show the ul/dl speed
Version=1

-------------------------------------Variables-----------------------------------------

[Variables]
@include=#SKINSPATH#Gigabyte\Resources\Settings\Variables.inc

-------------------------------------Measurements--------------------------------------

[MeasureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
Instance=5

[MeasureNetInAll]
Measure=NetIn
Instance=5
Cumulative=1

[MeasureNetOutAll]
Measure=NetOut
Instance=5
Cumulative=1

[MeasureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
Instance=5

-------------------------------------METERS--------------------------------------------

[MainBackground]
Meter=IMAGE
X=0
Y=0
W=209
H=14
SolidColor=SolidColor=0, 0, 0, 1

[MeterFileSystemsLabel]
Meter=STRING
X=-1
Y=8
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=LEFT
Prefix="Network Speed:"
AntiAlias=0

[MeterHorizontalDivider2]
Meter=STRING
X=-1
Y=15
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=LEFT
Prefix="....................................................................................................."
AntiAlias=0

[Label DownAll]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLabel
X=20
y=30
Text="Total Dl :"
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=CENTER
StringStyle=bold
AntiAlias=1

[MeterDownAll]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureNetInAll
X=50
Y=30
FontColor=#FontColorC#
StringStyle=NORMAL
FontSize=7
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
AntiAlias=0
AutoScale=1
PostFix="IB"

[Label CurrentDown]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLabel
X=26
y=45
Text="Current Dl :"
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=CENTER
StringStyle=bold
AntiAlias=1

[MeterDown]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureNetIn
X=56
Y=45
Text="%1B"
AutoScale=1
FontColor=#FontColorA#
FontSize=7
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
AntiAlias=0
PostFix="/S"

[Label UpAll]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLabel
X=150
y=30
Text="Total Ul :"
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=CENTER
StringStyle=bold
AntiAlias=1

[MeterUpAll]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureNetOutAll
X=180
Y=30
FontColor=#FontColorC#
StringStyle=NORMAL
FontSize=7
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
AntiAlias=0
AutoScale=1
PostFix="IB"

[Label CurrentUp]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLabel
X=156
y=45
Text="Current Ul :"
FontColor=#FontColorC#
FontSize=7
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
StringAlign=CENTER
StringStyle=bold
AntiAlias=1

[MeterUp]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureNetOut
X=186
Y=45
Text="%1B"
AutoScale=1
FontColor=#FontColorA#
FontSize=7
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=#FrontFaceB#
AntiAlias=0
PostFix="/S"
Doesn't work at all, stil wrong (there wasn't a line "Instance=" so i have put it there myself)
My apologies... I didn't notice till I looked at your code, but the statement is "Interface=", not "Instance=". I just had some kind of brain fart on my previous post.

Try it with "Interface=5" and see what happens.
Nooby4Ever

Post by Nooby4Ever »

Well the total amount of gb up and dl are now correct for this moneth i think, but now i have always 0kb/s up and dl while i'm dlen a torrent

edit: i tried from 0 till 5, none had a good result, some are good but than suddenly go totaly wrong
Last edited by Nooby4Ever on January 9th, 2010, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nooby4Ever wrote:Well the total amount of gb up and dl are now correct for this moneth i think, but now i have always 0kb/s up and dl while i'm dlen a torrent
The only thing I can suggest since I can't see your system is to try different Interface= values.
Nooby4Ever

Post by Nooby4Ever »

My total dl and upload from 3th till now is 2.98 GB total(according to my provider), with Interface=5 it say 2.2gb + 571 mb(dl and ul) so that is pretty close, but still 0b/s upload and 0b/s dl

I tried all numbers from 0 till 5, none give correct values.

With see your system you mean system specs ? http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/usersys/cnBxaZ1kk2ed/view/ (dutch site but you see the specs)

edit : i noticed something, in resource monitor : Proccesses with network activity, gives different values than µtorrent for example :

ùtorrent say : 20kb/s - res monitor say 88kb/s (for utorrent.exe)
ùtorrent say : 57kb/s - res monitor say 100kb/s (for utorrent.exe)
ùtorrent say : 69kb/s - res monitor say 99kb/s (for utorrent.exe)
Nooby4Ever

Post by Nooby4Ever »

Anny one ?