It is currently May 8th, 2024, 7:32 pm

Another Lifehacker Feature

Articles, reviews and other mentions of Rainmeter on the web.
karmat

Another Lifehacker Feature

Post by karmat »

My latest screenshot, Reduxman, is being featured on Lifehacker http://lifehacker.com/5441812/the-reduxman-desktop today!!!

This screenshot uses nothing but Varelse's excellent suite, Monochromatic Redux, http://varelse42.deviantart.com/art/Monochromatic-Redux-148392430

Feel free to visit the page and tell the nimrods over there that Rainmeter is not hard to use (some commenters think it is).

jsmorley
Developer

Re: Another Lifehacker Feature

Post by jsmorley »

karmat wrote:My latest screenshot, Reduxman, is being featured on Lifehacker http://lifehacker.com/5441812/the-reduxman-desktop today!!!

This screenshot uses nothing but Varelse's excellent suite, Monochromatic Redux, http://varelse42.deviantart.com/art/Monochromatic-Redux-148392430

Feel free to visit the page and tell the nimrods over there that Rainmeter is not hard to use (some commenters think it is).

Congrats on the Lifehacker feature! Ignore the comments. Let's face it, Rainmeter is really not for everyone.
Digi

Post by Digi »

Great looking desktop man, congratulation on the lifehacker appearnce, ignore the stupid comments

Rainmeter rocks :Super:
[url=http://www.rainmeter.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=85][center][b]H.E.R.O[/b][/center][/url]
[url=http://www.rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=1525][center][b]V.I.S.O.R[/b][/center][/url]
[url=http://www.rainmeter.net/forum/index.php][center][b]Rainmeter Help[/b][/center][/url]
karmat

Post by karmat »

Thanks guys! I don't understand how anyone could slam Rainmeter. If you're into customizing, it's the perfect tool to have.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

karmat wrote:Thanks guys! I don't understand how anyone could slam Rainmeter. If you're into customizing, it's the perfect tool to have.
Rainmeter is pretty easy to use if you like the Enigma skins as they are out of the box or if you find a skin on devArt you like as is. If you want to change things (which is really the whole point, otherwise just use Windows Sidebar or something) it does take just a little commitment to learning how the tool works and how you can use the tool to be creative and make your desktop your own... These complainers are the same ones who say Photoshop is too complicated and Windows Paint does all they need. Fine. Use Windows Paint by all means. They are not the target audience for Photoshop, and folks who ask "what button do I push to turn this skin sideways and be in Spanish? Oh, there is a manual? Ugh, too complicated... Can you just do it for me? Here is my email address." are not our target audience.

I will say again, and said so on that article on LH, "Rainmeter is not for everyone". You don't have to be a "programmer", but you do have to be a bit computer literate, and willing to learn just a little. In my opinion it takes about a day of messing with Rainmeter and tearing apart a skin or two to see what the author did to get the hang of it.

Kaelri and I have talked about this on IRC on many occasions. The only issue we see at this point is that Enigma is a great suite of skins, but is almost a trap for SOME new users of Rainmeter. It is very comprehensive and just fabulous looking. If a user wants to just use the skins as they are and maybe drag them around to reposition them for their screen and how they work, it's perfect. However, it is not the best suite of skins to "learn Rainmeter" with. It is relatively complex given that is makes extensive use of includes and meterstyles and built-in variables and dynamic variables and such that can make it a bit hard to "follow" for a really new user. We have talked about, and I think Kaelri is working on, a "Enigma Starter Skin" set that will be designed specifically to get the new user off and running on "editing / creating" skins using Rainmeter. It will showcase many of the features and capabilities of Rainmeter, while keeping things simple and straightforward for the person who is just starting in on understanding how Rainmeter works.
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

karmat wrote:Thanks guys! I don't understand how anyone could slam Rainmeter. If you're into customizing, it's the perfect tool to have.
maybe those people are too lazy or .....(I'm not saying here) to see that
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
karmat

Post by karmat »

Well, I'm really glad that I started with Rainmeter before it got so slick, it definitely was simpler before version 1.1, but it also did a lot less than it does now. I might have felt intimidated starting with the current version.

I find it so amazing how some people, especially the younger ones, take to the coding immediately and come out with the most incredible suites just like that!

I haven't done any of my own skins (yet?) but I've had so much fun tweaking everybody else's that I haven't felt the need. I haven't really used Enigma because I find it too small for my eyesight, but I really like how it looks. I do think a Starter Kit might work out well though for a lot of people.

But it would be nice if people at least tried to find answers for themselves. One of my pet peeves is when they ask for help, then never even say thanks to the people who've taken the time to help.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

karmat wrote:Well, I'm really glad that I started with Rainmeter before it got so slick, it definitely was simpler before version 1.1, but it also did a lot less than it does now. I might have felt intimidated starting with the current version.

I find it so amazing how some people, especially the younger ones, take to the coding immediately and come out with the most incredible suites just like that!

I haven't done any of my own skins (yet?) but I've had so much fun tweaking everybody else's that I haven't felt the need. I haven't really used Enigma because I find it too small for my eyesight, but I really like how it looks. I do think a Starter Kit might work out well though for a lot of people.

But it would be nice if people at least tried to find answers for themselves. One of my pet peeves is when they ask for help, then never even say thanks to the people who've taken the time to help.
I agree with all you said with one small nit... Rainmeter itself really isn't any more complicated or harder to use in 1.1 than it was in 0.14. In fact, all skins written for 0.14 will work in 1.1. The difference is that you can MAKE far more complicated (and much cooler) skins than you used to be able to do, so a really robust skin like Enigma can be a bit daunting for a person brand new to Rainmeter who wants to dive right into editing skins. We have tried to address this with Rainmeter_101 and the fantastic online tutorial skins Alex has done, along with the Tips and Tricks section and helping when we can here.