It is currently March 19th, 2024, 9:31 am

Metric Time

Clocks and timer skins
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Metric Time

Post by eclectic-tech »

Bekarfel wrote:UTC time is easier to divide into whole chunks of time, in hours you can have 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, and 24 whole sections of time, and for minutes and seconds you can have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 45, and 60 whole sections of time

with Decimal time you can have 1, 2, 5, and 10 whole sections.

For a purely numerical standpoint Decimal time is better, but for a human-writing-downing, looking-atting, mathing perspective, 60 is a much better candidate. There's a reason why it's called a Superior Highly Composite Number, and it's not just so it can have a fancy dancy highfalutin title.
Thanks for the 'Superior Highly Composite Number' reference... very interesting!

I am not trying to convince anyone to adopt any one system over another, they both have their advantages and limitations.

I agree that "...for a human-writing-downing, looking-atting, mathing perspective, 60 is a much better candidate."

But, I believe being able to look at any measurement (time, distance, etc.) in multiple ways, only enhances the ability to apply those alternate methods for specific uses.

Just as there are multiple ways to achieve the same results in Rainmeter code, there can be multiple ways to 'look' at measurements.

Beauty, and usefulness, are in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks again for the details Bekarfel! :great:

P.S. I have a 'Decimal Time' skin ready to post... that should fuel a few more comments! :lol: