It is currently March 19th, 2024, 9:04 am

Metric Time

Clocks and timer skins
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Metric Time

Post by eclectic-tech »

Metric Time is an alternate method of dividing a 12 hour Imperial day into 10 equal 'hour' time segments, each of those segments are comprised of 100 'minute' time segments, and each of those contain 100 'second' time segments.

A better description would be 'Decimal Time'. If you think of how we describe time as "Quarter Hour", "Half Hour", "A Quarter After...", or "Half Past...", then think of your full day in those terms makes this a bit easier to understand; "Quarter Day" is 3 hours (6 when using 24 hour version), "Half Day" is 6 hours (12 for the 24 hour version). This represents what we already use to describe parts of an hour expanded to parts of a day.

"Time is relative", so how we describe it should be relative too! :confused:

It looks different than the Imperial clock we are all used to seeing, but it does simplify dividing your time equally. :D
MT1.gif
There are 3 styles included: a digital version, an analog version, and a bar version.

The analog version has a sweep second hand inspired by jsmorley's SweepSecondClock. :thumbup:

Requires version 4.0.0 beta r2722

EDIT: Updated rmskin package with 3 separate skin versions Analog, Digital, Bar, or All 3-In-1.
EDIT2: Updated package with full day (24 hour) versions of each style.
Enjoy!
Attachments
Metric Time_1.2016.12.17.rmskin
(540.82 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Last edited by eclectic-tech on December 17th, 2016, 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sephirotess

Re: Metric Time

Post by sephirotess »

I want to try this! Thanks :D.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

sephirotess wrote:I want to try this! Thanks :D.
You're welcome... I doubt this will ever be adopted universally, but it was fun to code! :sly:
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

It's pretty strange. I was a little disoriented :o. Beautiful achievement :welcome:.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

sephirotess wrote:It's pretty strange. I was a little disoriented :o. Beautiful achievement :welcome:.
Thanks... to be precise, I should have called this 'Decimal Time'...Wikipedia has some information on Decimal Time and examples of why it is useful in computers. 8-)
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

Oh, you' re right, sorry. I was disoriented because of the seconds that go up to 100. "Decimal time", as you said 8-).
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Updated package in first post:
  • Added 24 'hour' versions for all 3 styles.
  • Added '12' or '24' indicator on Analog versions when 'Name' is displayed.
  • Expanded description in first post.
  • Simplified positioning of Bar style.
I think I'm done with this for now (have to bake holiday cookies!) :D ...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You will tear my miles and gallons and ounces and by all that is holy my hours, minutes and seconds from my cold, dead, hands...

;-)
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

... spoken like a die-hard "IMPERIALIST"! ;-)
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

UTC time is easier to divide into whole chunks of time, in hours you can have 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, and 24 whole sections of time, and for minutes and seconds you can have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 45, and 60 whole sections of time

with Decimal time you can have 1, 2, 5, and 10 whole sections.

For a purely numerical standpoint Decimal time is better, but for a human-writing-downing, looking-atting, mathing perspective, 60 is a much better candidate. There's a reason why it's called a Superior Highly Composite Number, and it's not just so it can have a fancy dancy highfalutin title.