It is currently September 29th, 2024, 7:28 am

Rainmeter Screen Interaction

General topics related to Rainmeter.
rainyday23

Rainmeter Screen Interaction

Post by rainyday23 »

Hello,

I recently started using Rainmeter and I would like to learn more about it. Specifically I would like know more about how Rainmeter interacts with the Windows screen. How does Rainmeter do things like displaying dialog boxes or text on the Windows screen? What Windows processes must Rainmeter access in order to update the screen?

rainyday23
rainyday23
FreeRaider

Re: Rainmeter Screen Interaction

Post by FreeRaider »

Welcome rainyday23.

For display texts or images, Rainmeter uses meters.

I suggest you to read the manual starting from here.

if you do not understand something, let us (me) know.

:welcome:
rainyday23

Post by rainyday23 »

Thank you for the answer FreeRaider, however my question is more about the underlying specifics. I know that the answer is probably very complex, but I am curious about how Rainmeter takes input (meters) and interacts with windows in order to display the desired content on the screen. For example, the simple meter with the following code

[MyMeter]
Meter=String
Text=Hello, world!
AntiAlias=1
FontColor=255,255,255FontFace=Segeo UI
FontSize=20]

displays "Hello, world!" on the screen, but what is the final Windows process that Rainmeter must interact with that essentially tells the OS to display "Hello, World!" with these specific properties on the screen. I know that Rainmeter is very complex which makes it very powerful and means there are many things that it can do, but for something as simple as this code, how is this text pushed to the screen.

rainyday23
rainyday23
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

rainyday23 wrote:Thank you for the answer FreeRaider, however my question is more about the underlying specifics. I know that the answer is probably very complex, but I am curious about how Rainmeter takes input (meters) and interacts with windows in order to display the desired content on the screen. For example, the simple meter with the following code

[MyMeter]
Meter=String
Text=Hello, world!
AntiAlias=1
FontColor=255,255,255FontFace=Segeo UI
FontSize=20]

displays "Hello, world!" on the screen, but what is the final Windows process that Rainmeter must interact with that essentially tells the OS to display "Hello, World!" with these specific properties on the screen. I know that Rainmeter is very complex which makes it very powerful and means there are many things that it can do, but for something as simple as this code, how is this text pushed to the screen.

rainyday23
Rainmeter is powerful, but it is not complicated to code. Most coders do not know or care 'how' Rainmeter does things; they just use the Measures, Meters, and Bangs to accomplish the end results. It is that simple...

You don't need to know every detail of the circuitry inside your flat screen TV to watch your favorite show.

If you are so inclined to learn more, I would suggest starting here. The code that drives Rainmeter is available on Github.