It is currently September 29th, 2024, 7:25 am

4.0 Default Installation Location & Questions on Portable

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Magnus7

4.0 Default Installation Location & Questions on Portable

Post by Magnus7 »

Hi there, is the default installation for rainmeter 4.0 portable still c:\program files\rainmeter?

because i am about to give this program a try, and in the installer, the default location is c:\rainmeter. should i install it to c:\program files\rainmeter? i am using windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 bit.

another issue is that my windows system is highly customized from the backbone up, and has its entire integrated library system & favorites panel removed & disabled at registry. physical location-wise, the entire public folder is removed. i already have vc++ 2010 installed, will the portable version work for me?

regards
jsmorley
Developer

Re: 4.0 Default Installation Location & Questions on Portable

Post by jsmorley »

You can install the portable version anywhere you want. I don't really recommend C:\Program Files for portable though, as Windows is going to fight you with User Account Control. Windows is not thrilled about programs that write to C:\Program Files after their initial installation, and although you can manage this, it does complicate things some. If you really want to run Rainmeter as a portable installation, I would be tempted to install it somewhere that Windows isn't "protecting". C:\Rainmeter is fine, but pretty much anywhere will do.
Magnus7

Post by Magnus7 »

"I don't really recommend C:\Program Files for portable though, as Windows is going to fight you with User Account Control".

yes, I was thinking the same as you. the Default Path which came up during portable installation 4.0 is general directory c.
i have UAC disabled (along many other win features). i introduced various writing to registry immediately following win installation, my os no longer behaves as standard. i'm fine with c:\, just posted this because i was following setup notes closely.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/installing-rainmeter/

thanks, I will proceed with portable installation.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Magnus7 wrote:"I don't really recommend C:\Program Files for portable though, as Windows is going to fight you with User Account Control".

yes, I was thinking the same as you. the Default Path which came up during portable installation 4.0 is general directory c.
i have UAC disabled (along many other win features). i introduced various writing to registry immediately following win installation, my os no longer behaves as standard. i'm fine with c:\, just posted this because i was following setup notes closely.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/installing-rainmeter/

thanks, I will proceed with portable installation.
Those docs may in fact be have been a bit misleading, as those "default locations" are for the normal installation. For portable, you install it anywhere you want, and ALL files related to Rainmeter will reside in that single location. AppData and Documents are not used, When portable, Rainmeter makes no changes to the registry, and will not add a startup shortcut in the Windows Start menu.