It is currently September 29th, 2024, 7:25 am

Rainmeter Skin Usage Statistics?

General topics related to Rainmeter.

Do you think Rainmeter skin usage statistics and auto error reports would be a breach of privacy?

Yes. Rainmeter users should not have to worry about their skins spying on them
40%
No. I think it is fine as long as users are informed and a way to opt-out is included
60%
No. I think it is fine. If users knew, they might tamper with it and create problems!
No votes

Total votes: 5
exper1mental

Rainmeter Skin Usage Statistics?

Post by exper1mental »

Lots of programs have some form of usage statistics, why not Rainmeter skins? I'm curious to know if anyone has actually done anything like this.

Very Basic Example
Someone has a suite with several skins in it. They want to know which skins are most used and which ones are least used.

This could be done by setting up a WebParser measure in each skin. When the skin is opened the WebParser measure is triggered and attempts to access a webpage specific to that skin, a webpage that can be monitored to see how many times it has been viewed. Better yet, a person could potentially create a skin to retrieve the page views for them from their desktop.

Of course, this only tells me what skins people use while they are connected to the internet. Offline statistics would probably need to be saved in a text file and then uploaded when the skin detects a working internet connection. The problem with this is that someone could easily tamper with the statistics...not sure how to work around that...

Another Basic Example
Someone has a single stand-alone skin. Knowing that the skin is used is not particularly helpful in this case. Rather, they want to know which features are most used and least used. To keep things simple I'll say there are 5 launcher buttons and that they want to know how often each of the buttons are pressed.

This could be done similarly to the previous example by setting up a WebParser measure for each of the 5 launcher buttons. When a button is triggered, so is a WebParser measure.

Something else that I think would be incredibly cool is some form of automatic error reporting...no idea how that would work though

What do you think? Do you think there is a better way of getting usage statistics? Do you think end-users would feel like their privacy had been violated if they knew a skin did this?