It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:11 pm

How to prevent files/folders going "underneath" Rainmeter?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Netherspark

How to prevent files/folders going "underneath" Rainmeter?

Post by Netherspark »

Hi, I'm new to Rainmeter and I have a question:

I'm trying to make a vertical dock-type thing for the left side of my screen. The problem is whenever a new file/item is added to my desktop, such as a downloaded file it automatically gets placed in the top left of the screen, and ends up behind/underneath the Rainmeter object. I then have to unload the whole thing to move the file out...

Is there a way to stop files and folders etc from occupying the same space as a Rainmeter object? I know you're prevented from placing them manually, but this happens automatically.

Ideally I want it to occupy space like a line of icons would - with any new items appearing below it.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: How to prevent files/folders going "underneath" Rainmeter?

Post by jsmorley »

No, there is no way to prevent shortcuts or files that Windows adds to the desktop from being "behind" the Rainmeter skins in the same location. That is just a function of Windows, which insists that shortcuts, files or folders on the desktop are always considered "behind" all other windows on the screen.

My best advice is try to avoid having things put icons on the desktop. You can't always prevent this when you install something, but most of the time you can uncheck any "Place shortcut on Desktop" options as you are installing.
Netherspark

Post by Netherspark »

That's a shame. Thanks for the reply though.

I guess I'll have to go with my backup plan - to put a series of empty folders with blank icons behind the bar to take up space :p

Or, is there something else I could place behind the dock that would do the same thing?
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

If I'm not mistaken, the program called Stardock Fences has an option to set default position for new desktop icons. You can use that in order to stop your icons appear under your skin.
caho11

Post by caho11 »

Netherspark wrote: February 23rd, 2016, 1:55 pm Hi, I'm new to Rainmeter and I have a question:

I'm trying to make a vertical dock-type thing for the left side of my screen. The problem is whenever a new file/item is added to my desktop, such as a downloaded file it automatically gets placed in the top left of the screen, and ends up behind/underneath the Rainmeter object. I then have to unload the whole thing to move the file out...

Is there a way to stop files and folders etc from occupying the same space as a Rainmeter object? I know you're prevented from placing them manually, but this happens automatically.

Ideally I want it to occupy space like a line of icons would - with any new items appearing below it.

I'm having the same problem, still no solution??
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

caho11 wrote: January 8th, 2022, 10:55 am I'm having the same problem, still no solution??
It's more or less how Windows does things.

In short, you can't make show window behind the desktop icons, easily.
from the Realm of Death
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

caho11 wrote: January 8th, 2022, 10:55 am I'm having the same problem, still no solution??
As D.C. says, this is how Windows works.
I never show my desktop icons; right-click desktop, view, uncheck 'Show desktop icons'. :D

But many users do use desktop icons, so, here are 2 programs I have used that can help organize your desktop icons:

Desktop Coral
- Creates a designated area along one of your screen edges (top, bottom, left, or right) to prevent desktop icons (and windows) from being placed in that area. It reduces the desktop work area so new item and windows will not utilize that space. It can be completely transparent if desired.

Nimi Places
- Creates desktop areas (Places) that contain any folder items. It has several default place settings you can rename, or you can define your own new places. These 'places' can be used with or without the use of desktop icons.
desktopoptions.png
NOTE: This is not an endorsement of these programs, but they may help users who have desktop icons they want to control.

Before everyone starts adding suggestions for other software (there are many others: Stardock Fences, etc.), these have nothing to do with Rainmeter, and I would leave it up to each user to decide on how they want to customize their desktops and how programs interact with it.

Admin: feel free to delete this if post if you feel it is not appropriate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caho11

Post by caho11 »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 8th, 2022, 6:14 pm As D.C. says, this is how Windows works.
I never show my desktop icons; right-click desktop, view, uncheck 'Show desktop icons'. :D

But many users do use desktop icons, so, here are 2 programs I have used that can help organize your desktop icons:

Desktop Coral
- Creates a designated area along one of your screen edges (top, bottom, left, or right) to prevent desktop icons (and windows) from being placed in that area. It reduces the desktop work area so new item and windows will not utilize that space. It can be completely transparent if desired.

Nimi Places
- Creates desktop areas (Places) that contain any folder items. It has several default place settings you can rename, or you can define your own new places. These 'places' can be used with or without the use of desktop icons.
desktopoptions.png
NOTE: This is not an endorsement of these programs, but they may help users who have desktop icons they want to control.

Before everyone starts adding suggestions for other software (there are many others: Stardock Fences, etc.), these have nothing to do with Rainmeter, and I would leave it up to each user to decide on how they want to customize their desktops and how programs interact with it.

Admin: feel free to delete this if post if you feel it is not appropriate.
Good attempt, but I only need to keep a certain area empty and it should be in boxes, not strips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Well, no currently available option is going to be able to stop Windows from placing new desktop icons where it wants.
I would suggest again to hide your desktop icons; why have a great looking desktop cluttered with icons? :confused:
hideicons.png
If I need to see my desktop quickly, I add it as a Windows Taskbar Toolbar.
desktoptoolbar.png
Everything is a click away and not taking any desktop area.