It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:57 pm

Pardon our dust

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
MikeG621

Re: Pardon our dust

Post by MikeG621 »

Can you make the content wider with a percentage instead of what is likely a fixed width? On a 1920px monitor width it's only using the middle 1000px or so.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

MikeG621 wrote:Can you make the content wider with a percentage instead of what is likely a fixed width? On a 1920px monitor width it's only using the middle 1000px or so.
This is intentional. Reading longer lines is harder.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Stylish, however, for my taste I'd like to see:

1) The outer white-ish colour a shade darker to make the posts stand out more for those of us using wide-screen monitors.

2) A darker green for code text, maybe the same as the snippet colour. The current light green is a tad tricky to read and seems to trivialise the code segments.

3) Some sort of border around the quote sections or a slimmer quote section. As it is, it can be hard to see where the quote ends and the reply begins - particularly if the quote spans more than a few lines.

4) How about a white question mark on a light-grey background for those without avatars. The current white question mark on a dark-blue background is a little too attention grabbing for my taste.

Cheers.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

JohnBurns wrote:I'm finding the orange very difficult to read - can you make it a darker shade? Thanks.
We got rid of most of the oranges used in links.
JohnBurns

Post by JohnBurns »

Thanks - much better I appreciate it.
Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.870)
44))Realtime: Windows Defender, McAfee Total Access-Total Protection, Malwarebytes, WiseVector, HMP Alert, UAC Highest Level
OnDemand: Adwcleaner, MRT, Emsisoft EEK
FreeRaider

Post by FreeRaider »

I sincerely hope that the author of the old style update it and that you put it on.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

poiru wrote: This is intentional. Reading longer lines is harder.
Sorry, but, as I stated in many other forums, all with similar layouts:
since nowadays the most used monitor width is 1920, almost half of our display is completely empty.

...and also, sorry, but all the "new" forums I'm attending now, are almost identical.
Just change some color gradients, title and maybe add a banner or two and you can hardly notice the difference between them. :(
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fonpaolo wrote: Sorry, but, as I stated in many other forums, all with similar layouts:
since nowadays the most used monitor width is 1920, almost half of our display is completely empty.
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but that is exactly the point being made. It is annoying and difficult to read posts that are the full 1920 width of the screen. Go go to most decent "content" sites, like CNN or Lifehacker or Slashdot or Google News or just about anywhere else, and the "content" is not full width, but in fact is about 960px, which is what we are using. Now we don't have tons of advertising as "sidebars" filling up the rest of the screen width, but that is not a bad thing, it's a very good thing. Reading articles, or posts in this case, work best if they are more or less track your eyes like a "book". Full-width would be a very strange format in my view for this kind of content.

Anyway, I'm sorry if you really hate it, but we are just not going to make the forum full-width. In fact, this theme was full-width by default, and we very quickly changed it.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

No, I neither said to use the full width, nor that I hate this layout.
I'm not even here to teach you how design your forum.

I only said that, to me, now all the forums are very similar, design, color, dimensions.

At least here the overall size is normal.
Elsewhere, you can have four replies in a page, with a lot of space between every line of text, then add titles and banners: you've to scroll a lot just to read a post...
...and most of the other functions (emoticons, notifications, and so on) were broken from the beginning and after a year or even more they were never been fixed.

So, no, this forum is much better, improvable, but much better.
lysy1993lbn

Post by lysy1993lbn »

You can always modify css for yourself, easiest with Stylish extension. It's avaliable for Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

Ready code for Firefox

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain("forum.rainmeter.net") {
.page-width {
    max-width: 100% !important;
}}
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
my deviantART | Alternative Rainmeter tray icons