It is currently May 18th, 2024, 9:09 am

Falling back to alternate fonts?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Samus Aran

Falling back to alternate fonts?

Post by Samus Aran »

I just updated my iTablet skin to work with the font "Helvetica CE" to make it look more like the original.
But other users may not have this font installed (because it's a pay-font, and it's not cheap :D), so what about an option to fall back to another fontm if the first is not available?

Something like in HTML/CSS:

Code: Select all

FontName=Helvetica CE, Arial
So if the user doesn't have Helvetica CE, Rainmeter uses Arial instead.

Useful or not?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Falling back to alternate fonts?

Post by jsmorley »

Samus Aran wrote:I just updated my iTablet skin to work with the font "Helvetica CE" to make it look more like the original.
But other users may not have this font installed (because it's a pay-font, and it's not cheap :D), so what about an option to fall back to another fontm if the first is not available?

Something like in HTML/CSS:

Code: Select all

FontName=Helvetica CE, Arial
So if the user doesn't have Helvetica CE, Rainmeter uses Arial instead.

Useful or not?
It's not a bad idea, but of course in the meantime I would just:

[Vaiables]
FontFace=Helvetica CE
;Remove the comment from the following line if you do not have the Helvetica CE font installed
;FontFace=Arial
kenz0
Developer

Post by kenz0 »

Samus Aran wrote: So if the user doesn't have Helvetica CE, Rainmeter uses Arial instead.

Useful or not?
There is no need for that if an alternative font is Arial at least.

Arial is defined as a default font so when the user doesn't specify FontFace, Arial is automatically selected. In addition, when the font that the user specified is not found, Arial is automatically selected.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

kenz0 wrote: There is no need for that if an alternative font is Arial at least.

Arial is defined as a default font so when the user doesn't specify FontFace, Arial is automatically selected. In addition, when the font that the user specified is not found, Arial is automatically selected.
I wasn't sure what it "fell back" to when it couldn't load a font. So it's Arial? I thought it was MS-Serif or something.
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

My Rainmeter doesn't display anything when an incorrect font is specified...  
The problem is, Helvetica is no free font.
If it was a free font, I would simply pack it along iTablet and use the LocalFont-feature.
kenz0
Developer

Post by kenz0 »

Samus Aran wrote:
  My Rainmeter doesn't display anything when an incorrect font is specified...  
The problem is, Helvetica is no free font.
If it was a free font, I would simply pack it along iTablet and use the LocalFont-feature.
Oddly,

This is my test. of course, "Helvetica CE" is not installed in this PC.
font_test.png
Anyway, as for your problem, I guess a windows users who have installed Helvetica are rare case. so meybe, the user who brings a result which uses Arial is almost the case.

After all, I think that it is better solution to look for the free font similar to Helvetica.