It is currently April 26th, 2024, 5:10 pm

Google Public DNS

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
Kaelri
Developer

Google Public DNS

Post by Kaelri »

Via Lifehacker.

The DNS is the system that translates a web address (.com, .net, etc.) into the actual IP address of the server. As it turns out, there are a number of different DNS sources your connection can use, and now Google's offering its own. I've just switched over to it, and the difference in connection speed is noticeable - not revolutionary, but I'm definitely glad I did it. So this is a quick and easy way to give your browsing a speed boost.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Google Public DNS

Post by jsmorley »

Kaelri wrote:Via Lifehacker.

The DNS is the system that translates a web address (.com, .net, etc.) into the actual IP address of the server. As it turns out, there are a number of different DNS sources your connection can use, and now Google's offering its own. I've just switched over to it, and the difference in connection speed is noticeable - not revolutionary, but I'm definitely glad I did it. So this is a quick and easy way to give your browsing a speed boost.
I'm a little hesitant to make it harder for my ISP to diagnose a problem when I have one. I'd have to see a pretty significant increase to put myself in that bad ol' situation where when there is an issue it becomes finger pointing.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Google Public DNS

Post by jsmorley »

In case you guys do want to give it a go (you can always change it back to "detect automatically" at any time)

Windows 7:

To change the DNS server settings with Windows 7 go to Control Panel / View Network Status / Change Adapter Settings. Bring up "Properties" for your adapter then click on "Internet Protocol v4" and set properties for that.

Google DNS:

Change from "Detect automatically" to

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4