It is currently April 26th, 2024, 12:57 pm

difference between Windows 7 RC and the Windows 7 RTM?

Topics unrelated to Rainmeter.
bluueyee

difference between Windows 7 RC and the Windows 7 RTM?

Post by bluueyee »

Hey
I was wondering what is the difference between the Windows 7 RC (Release Candidate) and the Final version of Windows 7 RTM?
I had both Windows 7 RC and Windows 7 RTM and I see no difference, except the default windows wallpaper.Any help.Thanks in advance.
sgtevmckay

Re: difference between Windows 7 RC and the Windows 7 RTM?

Post by sgtevmckay »

As far as I know the main differences is in security/privacy and future usage.

In the RC: Windows 7 is constantly reporting usage, crashes and other data to MS.
It is in the agreement and you had to agree to get the RC installed.
Also in the RC, the operations will be timed, and after March 30, 2010 sometime you will only be able to utilize the the RC for up to 4 hours a day.
Sometime in June or later the RC will just stop working altogether.

Another major consideration, is stability....although these to OS seem to work the same, they are not there are major core code changes that allow for more common use in teh Full install over the RC.

These changes may seem small, innocuous, and you may not even immediately notice them, but they are there.
One example...You should be getting less UAC calls in the Full Release over the RC as the folks at MS placed a watched file location in the wrong directory in the RC release.

You should also notice a slight resource difference, in as much that the full release should be using less resources, and have a better graphics interface in the GUI.
If you have a monster system (Quad core do-hickey'ed system with 4 gigs of RAM or more, and a graphics card) this maybe un-noticeable. I do notice a difference on this little laptop with the Intel graphics shared (4500)

There are literally hundreds of little things
But I tend to not want folks watching me for how that information maybe used in teh future.....as a Beta tester...I agreed and ran the RC, I knew this would help.
But also knowing that the RC will stop working in the next 9 or so months....I have switched over all my remote systems to Windows 7 64 bit.

Windows really cranked the screws before the full release..Is it better....the jury is still out officially..... ask me...be safe, and get the full candidate...or you may lose something in the future, as the retrieval of information is not guaranteed after the RC testing phase is complete