It is currently September 29th, 2024, 7:26 am

Any word on Rainmeter blur effect working on Windows 10?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Virginityrocks

Any word on Rainmeter blur effect working on Windows 10?

Post by Virginityrocks »

Recent updates to the Windows 10 insider preview bring back aero blur from Windows Vista/7. Any word on whether Rainmeter will work with this latest re-addition on Windows 10?
Droptop Four
Dropdown menu bar & app launcher for Windows & Rainmeter
killall-q

Re: Any word on Rainmeter blur effect working on Windows 10?

Post by killall-q »

Just reinstalled Windows 10 Preview and was wondering the same thing. I have aero blur enabled skins loaded and I'm not seeing the effect. Details here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-tests-aero-glass-comeback-in-windows-10-build-10074/

Only the start menu has blur.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

It's not looking good. It's not the same "Aero Glass" based blur that Vista / Win7 had and it not clear yet that Microsoft has, or ever will, "expose" the new blur functionality that is only used in selected Windows dialogs.

Since it is not something that Win10 will ever support in application "windows", but only in certain internal Windows fly-outs like the Start menu, Taskbar, Action Center and a few others, they just may not make the functionality available to programs.

It is NOT "Aero Bur". Aero is entirely gone. The libraries and API's that used it are not supported in Win10.

We will keep our eye on it, but I'm not hopeful right at the moment.
exper1mental

Post by exper1mental »

I don't suppose Rainmeter could use BigMuscle's Aero Glass [ Website link | Forum link ] tool for blur
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

exper1mental wrote:I don't suppose Rainmeter could use BigMuscle's Aero Glass [ Website link | Forum link ] tool for blur
Absolutely not.
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Seems like a shame that they wouldn't give anyone but themselves access to the blur effects. Are you sure the APIs are just different and would require new code for Rainmeter to be compatible?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Virginityrocks wrote:Seems like a shame that they wouldn't give anyone but themselves access to the blur effects. Are you sure the APIs are just different and would require new code for Rainmeter to be compatible?
The thing is though, is that the blur effect in Win7 was used on "windows" in the OS. It was used to blur the title bar and borders and such in a "window object". That pretty much meant that it needed to be some kind of library call that was part of the programming functionality for a window, and was accessible to all.

The blur effect in Win10 isn't about "windows". There is no blur in any title bar or any other part of an application window in Win10. The blur is an internal thing, that is used with some new internal objects, like the Start menu, some notification area "slideout" items, and the taskbar. It's no longer a part of the programming functionality of a "window" and as far as I know is not at all accessible by, and can't be applied to, any window object.

This all may become more clear over time, and who knows what the future will bring. There is a new version of Visual Studio coming, and I'm sure there will be some Win10 specific stuff supported. As for right now, we don't see any way to apply the new "blur" to a window like a Rainmeter skin.

If Windows provides a supported way to do this in code, we will be glad to take a look at it. What we won't be doing, not ever, is hacking windows attributes in memory, or worse yet adding, replacing, or modifying Windows system files to force something that Windows doesn't want to do. That is not the role of Rainmeter. We have made it clear since forever that Rainmeter is not a "shell replacement". If and when Windows adds "how to enable blur in your application windows" to their development documentation, we will be on it... Not before.
k4in

Post by k4in »

I'm reviving this thread because my favorite image viewer image eye http://www.fmjsoft.com/imageeye.html#news went open source (GPL3) in the last version, and they also added blur support for transparent window background on windows 8 and 10, maybe their code would help you to implement the blur feature again in rainmeter.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »