SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 7.3.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

dotm9168 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 5:38 pm

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International
    LocaleName    REG_SZ    en-MY
OK, thanks for that info! "en-MY" isn't one of the locales supported by weather.com natively (at least, not since I checked last), so as a result the Weather Meter is going to try to guess what settings to use, and in this case it will probably guess wrong. Your best bet is to set your language manually by using the Custom skin action menu and selecting a location that most closely matches yours. Canadian-English will get you metric, US-English will get you Fahrenheit, and GB-English will be a hybrid. Hope this helps, and feel free to let me know if you run into any further issues!
tass_co

Post by tass_co »

Hi SilverAzide

I think there is a bug in the skin.

The data is correct when you download to local disk.
However, when I try to save the downloads to the Network disk, the data shows almost double.
Normally, I can break my speed sometimes, but it is impossible for me to reach these speeds...
Peak value=1.5gbit/s i laugh at this...

ISP connection information from Modem
26.08.2022 - 05.01.54-AirTies — Mozilla Firefox.png
The application I use as a reference is NetSpeedMonitor
GIF 26.08.2022 04-57-59.gif
Windows Performance Monitor
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

tass_co wrote: August 26th, 2022, 2:15 am Hi SilverAzide

I think there is a bug in the skin.

The data is correct when you download to local disk.
However, when I try to save the downloads to the Network disk, the data shows almost double.
Normally, I can break my speed sometimes, but it is impossible for me to reach these speeds...
Peak value=1.5gbit/s i laugh at this...

ISP connection information from Modem
26.08.2022 - 05.01.54-AirTies — Mozilla Firefox.png

The application I use as a reference is NetSpeedMonitor

Windows Performance Monitor
No, there's not a bug. This is known behavior in Rainmeter and it is caused by virtual network adapters (every machine has them).

You can read more about this here: INFO: Network statistics monitoring

You can correct this by following the instructions mentioned in the article to configure the Network Meter.

Let me know if this helps.
zexel0410

Post by zexel0410 »

Hi SilverAzide,

Can you somehow enlighten me or assist me on fixing this. The problem is I don't know if its an issue with the skin or in my system where in the Wireless Meter is just copying the Values from the Network Meter. One example is the Int IP, it is showing the same wherein in my system, they're not. Another one is, when I use the Pro Variants, the adapters are showing the same Name.

The thing is, I have multiple ISP and my PC is connected to them via ISP 1(Ethernet) and ISP 2(Wi-Fi). I can't monitor my Wireless adapter as it just copies the values from Network Meter. As you can see in the Image, my Wi-Fi's Int IP is different from what the Wireless Meter is reporting.
Wireless Meter.jpg
Another is, if I disconnected ISP 1 from my device, the opposite happens, Network Meter copies what Wireless Meter have, it's like they cannot exist together and can only monitor 1 adaptor.
Wireless Meter 2.jpg
Thank you.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

zexel0410 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 1:48 am Hi SilverAzide,

Can you somehow enlighten me or assist me on fixing this. The problem is I don't know if its an issue with the skin or in my system where in the Wireless Meter is just copying the Values from the Network Meter. One example is the Int IP, it is showing the same wherein in my system, they're not. Another one is, when I use the Pro Variants, the adapters are showing the same Name.

The thing is, I have multiple ISP and my PC is connected to them via ISP 1(Ethernet) and ISP 2(Wi-Fi). I can't monitor my Wireless adapter as it just copies the values from Network Meter. As you can see in the Image, my Wi-Fi's Int IP is different from what the Wireless Meter is reporting.

Wireless Meter.jpg

Another is, if I disconnected ISP 1 from my device, the opposite happens, Network Meter copies what Wireless Meter have, it's like they cannot exist together and can only monitor 1 adaptor.

Wireless Meter 2.jpg

Thank you.
Hello! Sorry for any confusion. I can explain some of the things you are seeing, I think...

First thing to keep in mind is that the Network Meter is going to monitor ALL your adapters at once. So it will see your ethernet traffic and your wi-fi traffic (as given by the adapter names you've assigned in the settings). The Wireless Meter will only monitor your wi-fi traffic. If you look at the graph, and the Current/Total stats at the bottom, you'll see they are different. The Wireless Meter is the wi-fi traffic only, while the Network Meter is the sum of all the traffic through your ethernet, wi-fi, and even a third adapter if available.

So that is the easy part. What the skins are showing for your IP address is not necessarily the IP address of the specific adapter, and this is the important and confusing point: it is showing the IP address of whichever adapter that Rainmeter has decided is the "best" (or "active") one. If you have more than one active adapter, Rainmeter will prefer the ethernet one. So what the skins are showing is the "best/active" adapter, which Rainmeter has decided is your ethernet adapter. This is why it looks like the Wireless Meter is just copying the Network Meter; it's not really, but it seems that way because Rainmeter is indicating your ethernet adapter is the active one.

I think it is a fair argument to say that the Wireless Meter should not act this way; it should always show the IP address of the wireless adapter no matter what, even if it is not active. Perhaps I will change this in the next release, if you think it is reasonable.

I don't know if this answers all your questions. From what I see, all the skins are working as designed (particularly the Network Meter), but I can see where the Wireless Meter is showing misleading info. To be clear, the graph and the Current/Total values should be exact, it's the top part of the skin that is in question, since this data is the "best/active" data, which might not be correct if you have two active adapters. (BTW, the "Pro" versions will behave the same way, as the code is the same for this area.)

Let me know if you have additional questions. If you want to tweak the Wireless Meter to force it to "stick" to your wi-fi adapter without having to wait for me to make a new release of the Gadgets, let me know and I'll see if I can post some instructions on what to change.
zexel0410

Post by zexel0410 »

SilverAzide wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 3:06 am Hello! Sorry for any confusion. I can explain some of the things you are seeing, I think...

First thing to keep in mind is that the Network Meter is going to monitor ALL your adapters at once. So it will see your ethernet traffic and your wi-fi traffic (as given by the adapter names you've assigned in the settings). The Wireless Meter will only monitor your wi-fi traffic. If you look at the graph, and the Current/Total stats at the bottom, you'll see they are different. The Wireless Meter is the wi-fi traffic only, while the Network Meter is the sum of all the traffic through your ethernet, wi-fi, and even a third adapter if available.

So that is the easy part. What the skins are showing for your IP address is not necessarily the IP address of the specific adapter, and this is the important and confusing point: it is showing the IP address of whichever adapter that Rainmeter has decided is the "best" (or "active") one. If you have more than one active adapter, Rainmeter will prefer the ethernet one. So what the skins are showing is the "best/active" adapter, which Rainmeter has decided is your ethernet adapter. This is why it looks like the Wireless Meter is just copying the Network Meter; it's not really, but it seems that way because Rainmeter is indicating your ethernet adapter is the active one.

I think it is a fair argument to say that the Wireless Meter should not act this way; it should always show the IP address of the wireless adapter no matter what, even if it is not active. Perhaps I will change this in the next release, if you think it is reasonable.

I don't know if this answers all your questions. From what I see, all the skins are working as designed (particularly the Network Meter), but I can see where the Wireless Meter is showing misleading info. To be clear, the graph and the Current/Total values should be exact, it's the top part of the skin that is in question, since this data is the "best/active" data, which might not be correct if you have two active adapters. (BTW, the "Pro" versions will behave the same way, as the code is the same for this area.)

Let me know if you have additional questions. If you want to tweak the Wireless Meter to force it to "stick" to your wi-fi adapter without having to wait for me to make a new release of the Gadgets, let me know and I'll see if I can post some instructions on what to change.
That would be great, can you direct me on what changes can I do to force it to stick to Wi-Fi adapter, ofc, if it is a hassle for you, I can wait for your update.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

zexel0410 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 8:26 am That would be great, can you direct me on what changes can I do to force it to stick to Wi-Fi adapter, ofc, if it is a hassle for you, I can wait for your update.
Sorry for the late reply. I checked into the fix and it is actually very simple. To both Wireless Meters (Pro and non-Pro), just do a global search-and-replace and change the text SysInfoData=Best to SysInfoData=#InterfaceWireless#. That's it! Save and refresh and you should be good to go. I have not (so far) noticed any unexpected behavior with this change. Let me know how it goes for you, as I don't have a setup like yours that I can test with.
zexel0410

Post by zexel0410 »

SilverAzide wrote: September 4th, 2022, 3:49 am Sorry for the late reply. I checked into the fix and it is actually very simple. To both Wireless Meters (Pro and non-Pro), just do a global search-and-replace and change the text SysInfoData=Best to SysInfoData=#InterfaceWireless#. That's it! Save and refresh and you should be good to go. I have not (so far) noticed any unexpected behavior with this change. Let me know how it goes for you, as I don't have a setup like yours that I can test with.
Hello again,

Thank you for the update, the Meters are now working as intended, I did made some modifications to the Network Meter/Pro to only do Ethernet just like the wireless and they're giving me correct info now. I will now monitor them for now.
Wireless Meter 3.jpg
Thank you for this.
Pawl

Post by Pawl »

I can't change any settings like colors etc in any of the gadgets I disabled windows security thinking that was it but no, I'm running the latest build of windows 11 pro
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Pawl wrote: September 6th, 2022, 7:56 pm I can't change any settings like colors etc in any of the gadgets I disabled windows security thinking that was it but no, I'm running the latest build of windows 11 pro
Which version of the Gadgets have you installed and have you changed any skin files manually? Did you upgrade from an older version, and if so, which one? What happens when you open the Settings skin(s) and change a color? Do you see any errors in the log (Rainmeter menu > About > Log)? Also, copy the Rainmeter version info and paste it here (About > Version).

This isn't happening to anyone else, myself included, so I need more info...